How do I copy files from a Nikon SLR to a laptop running Solaris?

Old August 19th 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Default How do I copy files from a Nikon SLR to a laptop running Solaris?

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
"David J Taylor"

[]
Floyd, I'm interested to know what paid-for software supports all
Linux and UNIX variations. After all, commercial software is what
Nikon and Canon are likely to want to supply.

What has "paid-for" got to do with it?

There are many many software projects that support
virtually all Unix variations. (Note that Unix is
generic, but UNIX is one specific Unix variety.)

GIMP is one example. CUPS is another. OpenOffice does
to I think. Apache and Acroread are two others. Those
are just some big ones that come from different
directions.

As to Canon and Nikon wanting to supply commercial
software... they really should reconsider, given what
they are currently providing! They would clearly do a
lot better to boost sales of their hardware with free
software.

OpenOffice and Acrobat reader are interesting examples of free software -
are they loss-leaders to promote other products? Often software which is
free offers no promise of support, support only comes with the paid-for
version.

But paid-for has everything to do with it. Nikon and Canon are commercial
companies, who will want to charge for their software (whatever the
quality, as you note), and will therefore need to pay for the support
costs out of the revenues for that software. Whether that is the right
business model for them is for the companies to decide.

Cheers,
David

Old August 19th 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

nospam wrote:
[]
i'm sure nikon and canon have looked at their typical user demographic
and found that the vast majority are windows and mac users. it's not
worth it to support yet another platform.

But Linus /isn't/ "yet another platform". It's multiple variants of the
OS each with their own installation method, and multiple sub-versions. A
support nightmare!

indeed. it's a lot of work for little reward. it's tough to create a
business model for it.

That's true. Both RedHat and Google suffer daily, what
with having to haul all that loot to the bank and all.

I note that Opera and Foxfire work on many platforms,
I've used Tex on a few (for what, 20 years?), and so on.
Hmmm, KDE, GNOME and a huge list of window managers
function on multiple platforms.

Remember 20 years ago when nobody had heard of the
Internet? And then when people did discover it, the
executive level at many companies began "anti-Internet"
campaigns. That was very common for media outlets
(newspapers, etc.); but in the near future virtually all
of them did one of two things: They became fully engaged
with computers and Internetworking as part of their
business model, or they went out of business in one way
or another (bankrupt, sold, ...).

It's a story that repeats itself over and over again
with many new "inovations". Open Software is not
different.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 19th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.unix.solaris
Dave[_27_]

nospam wrote:

i'm sure nikon and canon have looked at their typical user demographic
and found that the vast majority are windows and mac users. it's not
worth it to support yet another platform.

Every time I have asked Nikon a question via the European support, I
have to say what operating system I am using. But Solaris, or Linux are
not options. So I don't think Nikon get a true picture. I always say I
am using OS X, but I don't use it - I use Solaris on either x86 or SPARC
hardware.