How do I copy files from a Nikon SLR to a laptop running Solaris?

Old August 18th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.unix.solaris
Floyd L. Davidson

Default How do I copy files from a Nikon SLR to a laptop running Solaris?

nospam wrote:

Linux is running on more computers than OS-X is, and
that number is increaseing.

got some numbers to back that up? and we're talking using linux as a
desktop operating system, not in embedded devices such as a router or a
smartphone. nobody is going to install nikon software on a linksys
wrt54g.

Once source was cited in the UK saying that Linux is
being pre-installed on 3% of the units sold there.
Canonical's Mark Shuttleworth says 11% of US businesses
use Ubuntu.

Gartner says the Linux market share is 4%, or roughly
equal to Apple's market share.

All of those figures are tricky, and may or may not mean
much of anything by themselves. But the trend is clear.
In Europe Microsoft is under fire for monoply tactics
and Linux is gaining. But the big deal is probably
China, where the Linux desktop share is estimated to be
12%.

The fact is that Vista is going to dethrone Microsoft,
and Apple is not even close to being in a position to
take advantage of that. Eventually what Apple has done
is what Microsoft will do too, and that is go to a
system based on a Unix kernel. What both Apple and
Microsoft will also have to do eventually is the same
that Sun Microsystems has done, and use an Open Source
kernel (just as Linux and the various BSDs do).

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 19th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.unix.solaris
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

nospam wrote:

Linux is running on more computers than OS-X is, and
that number is increaseing.

got some numbers to back that up? and we're talking using linux as a
desktop operating system, not in embedded devices such as a router or a
smartphone. nobody is going to install nikon software on a linksys
wrt54g.

Once source was cited in the UK saying that Linux is
being pre-installed on 3% of the units sold there.
Canonical's Mark Shuttleworth says 11% of US businesses
use Ubuntu.

Gartner says the Linux market share is 4%, or roughly
equal to Apple's market share.

and this says it's not even 1%:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2179

as does this:
http://searchitchannel.techtarget.co...42,sid96_gci13
19326,00.html

All of those figures are tricky, and may or may not mean
much of anything by themselves.

indeed. and a lot of machines running linux are servers and not likely
to ever see any imaging software of any kind, so the estimates may be
on the high side, as far as nikon/canon are concerned.

i'm sure nikon and canon have looked at their typical user demographic
and found that the vast majority are windows and mac users. it's not
worth it to support yet another platform.

But the trend is clear.
In Europe Microsoft is under fire for monoply tactics
and Linux is gaining. But the big deal is probably
China, where the Linux desktop share is estimated to be
12%.

The fact is that Vista is going to dethrone Microsoft,
and Apple is not even close to being in a position to
take advantage of that.

actually, not only are they in a position to do that, it's exactly what
is happening.

apple's sales are growing at a *substantially* higher rate than the
market itself, and a lot of that is from disgruntled windows users.
some of that is also from linux users, since os x can run virtually all
linux software *and* the popular commercial software as well.

Eventually what Apple has done
is what Microsoft will do too, and that is go to a
system based on a Unix kernel. What both Apple and
Microsoft will also have to do eventually is the same
that Sun Microsystems has done, and use an Open Source
kernel (just as Linux and the various BSDs do).

apple already has an open source kernel.
Old August 19th 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.unix.solaris
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:
Eventually what Apple has done
is what Microsoft will do too, and that is go to a
system based on a Unix kernel. What both Apple and
Microsoft will also have to do eventually is the same
that Sun Microsystems has done, and use an Open Source
kernel (just as Linux and the various BSDs do).

apple already has an open source kernel.

Not true. They have a kernel that was originally built
from an Open Source software distribution. They do not
maintain the distribution, and you cannot get the source
to OS-X.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 19th 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

nospam wrote:
[]
i'm sure nikon and canon have looked at their typical user demographic
and found that the vast majority are windows and mac users. it's not
worth it to support yet another platform.

But Linus /isn't/ "yet another platform". It's multiple variants of the
OS each with their own installation method, and multiple sub-versions. A
support nightmare!

[cross-posting trimmed]

David

Old August 19th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

"David J Taylor" wrote:
nospam wrote:
[]
i'm sure nikon and canon have looked at their typical user demographic
and found that the vast majority are windows and mac users. it's not
worth it to support yet another platform.

But Linus /isn't/ "yet another platform". It's multiple variants of the
OS each with their own installation method, and multiple sub-versions. A
support nightmare!

Yet, oddly, and awful lot of extremely good software
manages to not only support Linux, but all of the other
Unix variations too.

Eventually that is going to be ubiquitous.

(And in fact, no it is not difficult.)

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 19th 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote:
nospam wrote:
[]
i'm sure nikon and canon have looked at their typical user
demographic and found that the vast majority are windows and mac
users. it's not worth it to support yet another platform.

But Linus /isn't/ "yet another platform". It's multiple variants of
the OS each with their own installation method, and multiple
sub-versions. A support nightmare!

Yet, oddly, and awful lot of extremely good software
manages to not only support Linux, but all of the other
Unix variations too.

Eventually that is going to be ubiquitous.

(And in fact, no it is not difficult.)

Excuse the mis-spelling of Linux. It was not intentional.

Floyd, I'm interested to know what paid-for software supports all Linux
and UNIX variations. After all, commercial software is what Nikon and
Canon are likely to want to supply.

Cheers,
David

Old August 19th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

"David J Taylor" wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote:
nospam wrote:
[]
i'm sure nikon and canon have looked at their typical user
demographic and found that the vast majority are windows and mac
users. it's not worth it to support yet another platform.

But Linus /isn't/ "yet another platform". It's multiple variants of
the OS each with their own installation method, and multiple
sub-versions. A support nightmare!

Yet, oddly, and awful lot of extremely good software
manages to not only support Linux, but all of the other
Unix variations too.

Eventually that is going to be ubiquitous.

(And in fact, no it is not difficult.)

Excuse the mis-spelling of Linux. It was not intentional.

Hee hee, I hadn't even noticed. It's a typo that I do often myself.

Floyd, I'm interested to know what paid-for software supports all Linux
and UNIX variations. After all, commercial software is what Nikon and
Canon are likely to want to supply.

What has "paid-for" got to do with it?

There are many many software projects that support
virtually all Unix variations. (Note that Unix is
generic, but UNIX is one specific Unix variety.)

GIMP is one example. CUPS is another. OpenOffice does
to I think. Apache and Acroread are two others. Those
are just some big ones that come from different
directions.

As to Canon and Nikon wanting to supply commercial
software... they really should reconsider, given what
they are currently providing! They would clearly do a
lot better to boost sales of their hardware with free
software.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 19th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.unix.solaris
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:
Eventually what Apple has done
is what Microsoft will do too, and that is go to a
system based on a Unix kernel. What both Apple and
Microsoft will also have to do eventually is the same
that Sun Microsystems has done, and use an Open Source
kernel (just as Linux and the various BSDs do).

apple already has an open source kernel.

Not true. They have a kernel that was originally built
from an Open Source software distribution. They do not
maintain the distribution, and you cannot get the source
to OS-X.

it's definitely true, and i never said you could get the source to all
of os x. surely you know the difference between a kernel and the
entire operating system.

once again, the kernel to os x *is* open source, as well as some
portions of os x itself, such as webkit and bonjour.

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html
Old August 19th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

nospam wrote:
[]
i'm sure nikon and canon have looked at their typical user demographic
and found that the vast majority are windows and mac users. it's not
worth it to support yet another platform.

But Linus /isn't/ "yet another platform". It's multiple variants of the
OS each with their own installation method, and multiple sub-versions. A
support nightmare!

indeed. it's a lot of work for little reward. it's tough to create a
business model for it.