World Press Photo Winner Had to Sell Camera to Survive

Old March 16th 13, 02:08 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
notbob

Default World Press Photo Winner Had to Sell Camera to Survive

On 2013-03-16, Alan Browne wrote:

Obviously the panel that selected the photo can see far beyond what you
perceive.

It's not at all obvious to me.

I think the photo is crap and woulda tossed it at first glance. There
is nothing artsy-fartsy or insightful or profound about B&W, nor
anything spiritually uplifting about poor black ppl playing soccer in
a dirt field. The only thing obvious to me is the photographer was
doing everything he could think of to create a heartstring tugging
photo to catch the eye of sappy easily baited judges. In that, he
succeeded admirably.

nb
Old March 16th 13, 05:39 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 3/15/2013 11:26 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:16:21 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 3/14/2013 5:35 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.03.14 03:01 , Savageduck wrote:
The global economic crisis is hitting pro-photographers.

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/13/...ar-to-survive/

I'm reminded of a Jewish friend who said the best type of musician for a
Jew to be is a violinist as, in times of trouble, you could abandon all
your possessions but flee with your violin and at least make some money
on a street corner in a new country.

Which is probably the reason the violin had become a cultural thing in
the Jewish community. Also, for a generation, the majority of violinists
were Jewish.

Or actors or comedians.

I've met a few Jewish comedians...names you'd recognize...and not
found one of them funny, or even a pleasant person, when not on stage.

I agree completely. However, there were exceptions.

My brother=in=law worked as a waiter where Henny Youngman was
performing. He collided with Henny Youngman while carrying a tray loaded
with bowls of borscht. They fired my brother-in law, on the spot. Henny
Youngman told management that the collision was his fault and he would
not perform that night, or ever at that hotel, if they did not re-hire
my brother-in-law.
Remember, you don't have to be Jewish to be obnoxious.

--
PeterN
Old March 16th 13, 11:16 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.03.15 22:16 , PeterN wrote:
On 3/14/2013 5:35 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.03.14 03:01 , Savageduck wrote:
The global economic crisis is hitting pro-photographers.

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/13/...ar-to-survive/

I'm reminded of a Jewish friend who said the best type of musician for a
Jew to be is a violinist as, in times of trouble, you could abandon all
your possessions but flee with your violin and at least make some money
on a street corner in a new country.

Which is probably the reason the violin had become a cultural thing in
the Jewish community. Also, for a generation, the majority of violinists
were Jewish.

Absurd. Around 1990 the world population of Jews was about 13M (a
number that sticks in my head for some reason).

While there were certainly a lot of talented Jewish violinists, the
talent pool was not deep enough to dominate over the rest of the population.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old March 17th 13, 12:05 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-03-16 16:16:03 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

On 2013.03.15 22:16 , PeterN wrote:
On 3/14/2013 5:35 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.03.14 03:01 , Savageduck wrote:
The global economic crisis is hitting pro-photographers.

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/13/...inner-had-to-s

ell-his-camera-last-year-to-survive/

I'm reminded of a Jewish friend who said the best type of musician for

Jew to be is a violinist as, in times of trouble, you could abandon al

your possessions but flee with your violin and at least make some mone

on a street corner in a new country.

Which is probably the reason the violin had become a cultural thing in
the Jewish community. Also, for a generation, the majority of violinist

were Jewish.

Absurd. Around 1990 the world population of Jews was about 13M (a
number that sticks in my head for some reason).

While there were certainly a lot of talented Jewish violinists, the
talent pool was not deep enough to dominate over the rest of the
populati on.

I suspect one might be surprised to find the a large number of Chinese
violinists coming out of their classic music programs. Then there are
the Japanese subscribing to the "Suzuki Method".
....and there are a very talented group coming out of Europe most are
not jewish. I would suggest a listen to some of the following
non-jewish violinists:
Pekka Kuusisto, Finnish
Christian Tetzlaff, German
Arabella Steinbacher, German
Anne-Sophie Mutter, German
Patricia Kopatchinskaja, Moldavian

Savageduck

Old March 17th 13, 01:25 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 3/16/2013 7:16 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

Look at the premier concert violinists and concert masters between 1920
and 1080. You will see that the percentage who were Jewish, was well
over fifty percent.

--
PeterN
Old March 17th 13, 01:27 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 2013-03-16 16:16:03 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

That is now. I was referring to a different time period.

--
PeterN
Old March 17th 13, 01:13 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

PeterN wrote:
[...]

Premier where? Asia? Russia? Indian subcontinent?

-Wolfgang
Old March 17th 13, 01:19 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.03.16 21:25 , PeterN wrote:
[...]

I won't debate it. Depends on sources for the info.

Old March 18th 13, 09:57 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 18/03/2013 3:15 PM, Noons wrote:
On Mar 17, 1:08 am, notbob wrote:

It's not at all obvious to me.

bleeding obvious...

I think the photo is crap and woulda tossed it at first glance. There
is nothing artsy-fartsy or insightful or profound about B&W, nor
anything spiritually uplifting about poor black ppl playing soccer in
a dirt field. The only thing obvious to me is the photographer was
doing everything he could think of to create a heartstring tugging
photo to catch the eye of sappy easily baited judges. In that, he
succeeded admirably.

I am sooo glad you'll never be asked to judge a photo art or any other
photo competition...

It can do more damage to your creditability.
Old March 19th 13, 12:51 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 19/03/2013 8:57 AM, Rob wrote:
On 18/03/2013 3:15 PM, Noons wrote:
On Mar 17, 1:08 am, notbob wrote:

It's not at all obvious to me.

bleeding obvious...

I think the photo is crap and woulda tossed it at first glance. There
is nothing artsy-fartsy or insightful or profound about B&W, nor
anything spiritually uplifting about poor black ppl playing soccer in
a dirt field. The only thing obvious to me is the photographer was
doing everything he could think of to create a heartstring tugging
photo to catch the eye of sappy easily baited judges. In that, he
succeeded admirably.

I am sooo glad you'll never be asked to judge a photo art or any other
photo competition...

It can do more damage to your creditability.

I don't think anyone's "creditability" - whatever that means - is called
for here. But of course I remain listening to your explanation...
(NOT!)