Macros

Old March 16th 13, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Macros

http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...y-27-pictures/

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old March 16th 13, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
dadiOH[_2_]

Alan Browne wrote:
http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...y-27-pictures/

Those are nothing short of EXCELLENT!!

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Old March 17th 13, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 3/16/2013 8:24 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...y-27-pictures/

Really neat.
They are a classic example of really nice images, that would not do well
in a camera club competition. I wish I had taken them.

--
PeterN
Old March 17th 13, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

On 16/03/2013 8:52 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 3/16/2013 8:24 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...y-27-pictures/

Really neat.
They are a classic example of really nice images, that would not do well
in a camera club competition. I wish I had taken them.

Curious why you say they would NOT do well in a camera club? Just
wondering?

--
This space intentionally left blank.
Old March 17th 13, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 3/16/2013 9:10 PM, Usenet Account wrote:
On 16/03/2013 8:52 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 3/16/2013 8:24 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...y-27-pictures/

Really neat.
They are a classic example of really nice images, that would not do well
in a camera club competition. I wish I had taken them.

Curious why you say they would NOT do well in a camera club? Just
wondering?

Many judges would say: the hot spots are distracting; parts of the
creatures are outside the image area, etc.
Please note the above is not my impression, but is intended to be a
commentary of the weaknesses of camera club judging. I have often said
that Cartier-Bresson, would not do well in camera club competitions.

--
PeterN
Old March 17th 13, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 17/03/2013 12:36 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 3/16/2013 9:10 PM, Usenet Account wrote:
On 16/03/2013 8:52 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 3/16/2013 8:24 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...y-27-pictures/

Really neat.
They are a classic example of really nice images, that would not do well
in a camera club competition. I wish I had taken them.

Curious why you say they would NOT do well in a camera club? Just
wondering?

Many judges would say: the hot spots are distracting; parts of the
creatures are outside the image area, etc.
Please note the above is not my impression, but is intended to be a
commentary of the weaknesses of camera club judging. I have often said
that Cartier-Bresson, would not do well in camera club competitions.

Agree with your comments, camera club judges are full of themselves on
the night, nit picking, they can't correctly evaluate the elements of an
image and ridicule the content. As an example some time ago had a image
evaluated and the comment was the horizon was not straight, funny about
that it had lens curvature. Another example was architecture, where
verticals should be vertical or over over emphasised, looking up at a
tall building, the judge picked on one as not vertical which should have
been, but there were 2 others out of whack as well, but no criticism of
the fact but given awards!

I have even pointed out plagiarism of images and part images, to the
committee, ripped off the web, and they have condoned the use of such
images, to the extent where the image has been best in section. I was
being a pain in the arse to them.

I'm sure other images being presented in competitions, were not setup or
photographed by the author, as they didn't show a consistent standard of
such photographer compare with there other submissions.

What does amaze me is the judges will critique an image but can't
explain why or give their opinion how to rectify the perceived fault.

One particular night there was this judge who insisted using "Um" all
the time, this irritates me as its them catching up with their thoughts,
anyhow this was so annoying that I started to count the number of time
she used "Um" and the intervals between. Results basically, 700, at 20
second intervals, yep - over 3 hour period.
What a long boring night that turned out to be.

Camera clubs live in there own little world and stay in a rut.
Old March 17th 13, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-03-16 05:24:44 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...tography-27-pi
ctures/

Great stuff!!

I have two apps for my iPad, 500px and the Guardian "Eyewitness" apps
and I have been immersing myself in some of the amazing images
presented in both.
500px provides shots of incredible quality in their app, including
these macros;
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil.../500px-001.PNG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil.../500px-002.PNG

"Eyewitness" runs a continuous free gallery of 50 images, adding new
shot and removing the oldest each day. They offer a different access
for a subscription;

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...%2034%20PM.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...%2033%20PM.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...%2027%20AM.png

....and

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...%2034%20AM.png

Savageduck

Old March 17th 13, 06:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-03-16 05:24:44 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

....er

"Eyewitness" has a 100 shot continuous feed gallery.

Savageduck

Old March 17th 13, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 17/03/2013 5:00 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:50:27 +1100, Rob wrote:

[...]

The more I read about other people's views and comments about their
camera clubs, the more I feel that the camera club I belong to is
doing competitions the right way. I don't always agree with the
judge's critiques, or always agree with the first place choices, but
the judges do a good job of explaining why a photo is rated high or
low and what should have been done if the rating is low.

Maybe it's because it's a large club with an average attendance of 75
to 100 members so the pool to draw from for the in-house judges (two
in-house and one outsider for each competition night) or maybe it's
because the judges are given the submissions several days before the
competition night and thus have time to prepare their critiques.

The only real objection I have to the competitions is that submissions
are not required to be "fresh". So, instead of shooting to the
mandate, most members pull shots from their archives and the image
might have been taken several years ago.

Your club must be doing something right to have so many in attendance
making for an interesting participation for its members

What you are saying seems quite good and the combination of judging
keeps the standard very high.

Giving judges submissions in advance is an excellent way as the judges
are not over whelmed by so much to comment on.

Old March 17th 13, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Tony Cooper wrote:

The only real objection I have to the competitions is that submissions
are not required to be "fresh". So, instead of shooting to the
mandate, most members pull shots from their archives and the image
might have been taken several years ago.

So you're basically saying you should have to re-shoot your
own best shoots if you want them to participate?

-Wolfgang