No one speaks english anymore??

Old March 15th 13, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

Default No one speaks english anymore??

On 14/03/2013 1:55 AM, wrote:

Well English is an international language.English is a world wide
language.Many people now a days understand English.There are many
people learning English.There are many online free resources
http://youtu.be/Dmg7340f4Rk helping people to learn English.

facts don't seem to support that claim;
TONGUE speakers %
Mandarin 955M 14.10%
Spanish 407M 5.85%
English 365M 5.52%
Hindi 311M 4.46%
Arabic 293M 4.23%
Portuguese 216M 3.08%
Bengali 206M 3.05%
Russian 160M 2.42%
Japanese 127M 1.92%
Punjabi 102M 1.44%
German 92M 1.39%
Javanese 82M 1.25%
Wu 80M 1.20%
Malay 77M 1.16%
Telugu 76M 1.15%
Vietnamese 76M 1.14%
Korean 76M 1.14%
French 74M 1.12%

--
This space intentionally left blank.
Old March 15th 13, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

On 14/03/2013 10:57 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:46:12 -0400, Usenet Account
wrote:

On 14/03/2013 1:55 AM, wrote:

[...]

What makes you think that the native speakers of Mandarin, Spanish,
and the rest of the list do not also speak English?

Many do, and many are multi-lingual. However the premise to the OP, aka
spammer was the entire World speaks English is flawed.

--
Production is starting on George Clooney's, Ben Affleck's "Let my
people go" the secret story of how the CIA assisted Moses in the Exodus...

Old March 15th 13, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 15/03/2013 2:51 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

wrote:

On 14/03/2013 1:55 AM, wrote:

Well English is an international language.English is a world wide
language.Many people now a days understand English.There are many
people learning English.

What makes you think that the native speakers of Mandarin, Spanish,
and the rest of the list do not also speak English?

Many do, and many are multi-lingual. However the premise to the OP, aka
spammer was the entire World speaks English is flawed.

Where do you get that? The OP said English is "an international
language". It is. He said that English is "a world-wide language".
It is.

He didn't say that English is spoken exclusively internationally, or
that English is the primary language of most people.

Sitting in a restaurant in Switzerland a group of Japanese were in to
dine. The waiter spoke German (Swiss dialect) so in this situation they
were communicating in broken English, funniest thing I've seen for a
long time of course I knew what they were saying and understood the
conversation but I don't think either understood each other.

Old March 15th 13, 05:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

On 14/03/2013 1:55 AM, wrote:

[...]

You should try that with a cousin and his wife from Tennessee. My poor
wife who was born in Cheltenham, UK, sat through three days of
conversation, politely nodding her head without understanding a word
spoken.
....and cousin D.M. and his wife Stella were convinced they were
speaking English. I seriously doubt that anybody who lived outside of a
ten mile radius of their home would believe that.

Savageduck

Old March 15th 13, 09:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

wrote:

On 14/03/2013 1:55 AM, wrote:

[...]

The French don't want to speak to Canadian French speaking people. Must
have been the war the French lost and still show hostilities.
Old March 15th 13, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

On 14/03/2013 1:55 AM, wrote:

[...]

Most of the "Arcadians" ended up in Louisiana, and nobody understands them.

Savageduck

Old March 15th 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

wrote:
: On 14/03/2013 10:57 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:46:12 -0400, Usenet Account
: wrote:
:
: On 14/03/2013 1:55 AM, wrote:
:
[...]

Well, it's "flawed" in the sense that it isn't literally true, but then the OP
never actually made that claim. And Tony's point is, if anything, an
understatement. Overwhelmingly, the second language of choice among native
speakers of other languages is English. There are areas of the world
(Scandanavia is one) where, at least in the cities, it's difficult to find
someone who doesn't speak English.

It has often been said, with some justification, that the one really good
thing that England did for India was compel a large segment of its people to
learn English.

Bob
Old March 15th 13, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:02:40 +1100, Rob wrote:
: Sitting in a restaurant in Switzerland a group of Japanese were in to
: dine. The waiter spoke German (Swiss dialect) so in this situation they
: were communicating in broken English, funniest thing I've seen for a
: long time of course I knew what they were saying and understood the
: conversation but I don't think either understood each other.

Once at a hotel restaurant in Trondheim, Norway, the waitress addressed me in
English, but I decided to try out my 3-day-old Norwegian. She immediately
concluded that I didn't speak either language and smoothly switched to German.
I know enough German to grasp what she was saying, but I knew when I was
licked and reverted to English. The waitress didn't tell me I was crazy, but
I'm sure that's what she thought.

Bob
Old March 15th 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:15:08 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2013-03-14 21:02:40 -0700, Rob said:
: Sitting in a restaurant in Switzerland a group of Japanese were in to
: dine. The waiter spoke German (Swiss dialect) so in this situation they
: were communicating in broken English, funniest thing I've seen for a
: long time of course I knew what they were saying and understood the
: conversation but I don't think either understood each other.
:
: You should try that with a cousin and his wife from Tennessee. My poor
: wife who was born in Cheltenham, UK, sat through three days of
: conversation, politely nodding her head without understanding a word
: spoken.
: ...and cousin D.M. and his wife Stella were convinced they were
: speaking English. I seriously doubt that anybody who lived outside of a
: ten mile radius of their home would believe that.

I always laugh when I hear stories like that, because as a child of northern
parents who grew up in the south, I can switch seamlessly among several
northern and southern dialects and understand pretty much all of them. But
enough people say that they find southern accents incomprehensible that I have
to believe them.

Bob