Best budget compact camera

Old August 19th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton

Default Best budget compact camera

Stormin wrote on Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:15:07 -0400:

I'm thinking the resolution is 7.2 megapixel. Optical zoom out
to something, and then with digital I can zoom to 18 power.

I don't see the point in a digital zoom unless you count on never
editing your pictures. Certainly, I never take a series of photos that
are all worth printing.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old August 19th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

GregS wrote:

Hmm anobody got a best budget camera with a decent WIDE range. Like
less to 35 mm, perferably 28mm ??

The Canon SD800 IS was the best one, but alas it's been discontinued. It
has 28mm on the wide end, an optical viewfinder, image stabilization,
and used Li-Ion batteries, four of the most important factors for a
compact camera. Amusingly, it was one of the few cameras I ever saw go
up in street price until it was discontinued.
Old August 19th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:53:47 +0100, Old Strebuggart wrote:

I'm looking for a compact 'point and shoot' camera to take walking as my
Canon A620 is a little bulky. Looking for around 6 MPX upwards, standard 3x
zoom or better but want a good sharp picture, minimal colour fringe.

It needs to be large enough to be useable i.e. not too small, but not bulky.

I get the impression that Lumix models are good and also Fuji for low light
(big advantage for me), but what can YOU recommend - whats the word on the
street?!

As it will be a companion for the A620, I'd avoid the small Fujis
that don't have viewfinders or any real manual modes. Two much
smaller cameras that I can recommend that also add IS/VR and take
nice, sharp pictures are Panasonic's LZ8 and Nikon's P60, both with
8mp sensors and slim enough to easily fit in a shirt pocket, unlike
Canon's chubby (but also very nice) A570IS and A590IS. The P60 is
about 1 to 1 1/2 stops better than the LZ8 when it comes to taking
pictures in light low enough to require the use of higher ISOs
(Lumix models are famous for their poor high ISO performance), but
for inexpensive cameras, they're both pretty good.