salvaging a developer

Old January 28th 04, 09:45 AM
Tom Phillips

Default Oh, BTW, a simple test (was salvaging a developer)

? wrote:

Exhausted film developer is more costly than exhausted print developer, you
only know when you wasted negatives.

But there in lies the answer. Cut off a couple of inches of unexposed film
and seal in your developing tank as though it was a roll. Develop normally.
A quick inspection should give you a clue whether you want to use that
developer on important negatives.

Oh fer crying out loud. Just use ***FRESH*** developer. It's like a few extra
minutes out of your day to mix some up and you always get consistent results.

Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com
Ebay Sales:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...ems&userid=dsc
Restorations, Parts for Hamilton M21s, Products for Craftsmen
Makers of Historic Timekeepers Ultrasonic Clock Cleaning Solution

"br" wrote in message
I have a half gallon of Xtol, which I'm sure, will not give proper
development because it was made up about 9 months ago. (It's still clear)
Is there any type of chemical that can be added to make sure of normal
development? I would like to experiment but not sure how to start.

(I heard that Xtol's life dimishes with age)

Bill

Old January 28th 04, 11:11 AM
Tom Phillips

John wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:45:34 +0000, Tom Phillips
wrote:

Oh fer crying out loud. Just use ***FRESH*** developer. It's like a few extra
minutes out of your day to mix some up and you always get consistent results.

Tolerance is not our best trait is it ? Ignorance and idiocy
abounds. Welcome to the 21st century.

Whatever century, one thread on this topic seemed enough. Richard's answer
appeared all encompassing and exhaustive.

Old January 28th 04, 01:03 PM
?

Default Excellent Question (was salvaging a developer)

Thank you for asking that question although some had to puff themselves up
at your expense. Don't mind them, they are simply part of the noise of the
cosmos and behave as they must.

One of the responses led me to a product source for which I had been
searching.

Old January 28th 04, 02:05 PM
John

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:03:16 -0500, "?" ?@???.??? wrote:

One of the responses led me to a product source for which I had been
searching.

Ah ! You found the data sheet for D76 !

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Old January 28th 04, 06:48 PM
?

From the time you devoted in your attempt at cracking wise, it would appear
you don't disagree that you were trying to puff yourself up at the
questioner's expense. Looks like you have too much time on your hands.

BTW, it was corks for which I was looking. I am a watchmaker and use them
for flat polishing steel to a black polish.

Here is an example of what I do to make my living:

http://www.bcpl.net/~dclark/Customer/Jeff/VCIndex16.JPG

In case you need help interpreting the photo, the middle part is the piece I
made to replace the lower part and the watch cell is for size comparison.

What is D-76? Always willing to learn something new from a master.

Old January 28th 04, 07:17 PM
John

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:48:01 -0500, "?" ?@???.??? wrote:

From the time you devoted in your attempt at cracking wise, it would appear
you don't disagree that you were trying to puff yourself up at the
questioner's expense. Looks like you have too much time on your hands.

I only wish !

Actually I work on computers nearly 12 hours a day. This stuff
is somewhat entertaining.

BTW, it was corks for which I was looking. I am a watchmaker and use them
for flat polishing steel to a black polish.

LOL ! Well I certainly would never have guessed that !

Here is an example of what I do to make my living:

http://www.bcpl.net/~dclark/Customer/Jeff/VCIndex16.JPG

Ever work on shutters ?

In case you need help interpreting the photo, the middle part is the piece I
made to replace the lower part and the watch cell is for size comparison.

What is D-76? Always willing to learn something new from a master.

From my site ;

Kodak's D-76 D

Water @ 125F 750ml
Elon 2.0g
Sod.Sulfite 100g
Hydroquinone 5.0g
Borax (gran.) 8.0g
Boric Acid 8.0g
Water to make 1.0L

This is believed to be the modern, updated version of D-76.

A timeless classic that has probably been used more than all
other developers combined. It's the developer of choice for
all of the ISO tests and gives a well balanced set of features
to all who use it.

Development times for full strength stock at 68F are ;

TMX - 100 - 9.0min.
TMY - 400 - 8.0min.
By diluting the stock solution a marked increase in
sharpness can be realized. This is due to the dilution of the
Sod. Sulfite which would normally give a fine grain effect but
also has the consequence of degrading sharpness.

Times for a 1:1 dilution at 68 are ;

TMX - 100 - 12.0min
TMY - 400 - 12.5min.

A dilution of 1:3 is also possible, however I do not have
E.K.'s recommendations.

Old January 28th 04, 08:20 PM

Default salvaging a developer

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:50:47 -0500, "br" wrote:

I have a half gallon of Xtol, which I'm sure, will not give proper
development because it was made up about 9 months ago. (It's still clear)
Is there any type of chemical that can be added to make sure of normal
development? I would like to experiment but not sure how to start.

(I heard that Xtol's life dimishes with age)

Bill

jan2804 from Lloyd Erlick,

Nine months may not have been enough to kill this developer. As long
as you're not going to use it on irreplaceable work, why not give it a
try, just to see?

I've had Xtol stock last well over a year. I recommend using it within
its rated lifespan, but for self-education it's not a waste.

I store my Xtol in five, one liter plastic (PETE) recycled Pepsi
bottles (Pepsi had a wider mouth than the others when I was
looking...). Glass would be even better, but I find plastic convenient
and commonly available for free.

Xtol's reputation varies a great deal depending who you talk to. I
always do a snip test on my working solution prior to developing a
batch of film.

regards,
--le
_______________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits,
2219 Gerrard Street East, unit #1,
Toronto M4E 2C8 Canada.
---
voice 416-686-0326

http://www.heylloyd.com
_______________________________________
Old January 28th 04, 08:55 PM
?

I have taken down an FM shutter; but that is all I done. It is my own and I
bought another as a model. BTW, Tomosey leads you down a garden path on
taking the FM shutter apart. He fails to mention the need to disconnect the
shutter cocking springs and how to preload them. This is not covered in the
Nikon manual either; I suspect it was discussed in the workshops and if you
missed that day you were out of luck.

Taken down manual lenses including diaghrams; really not that big a deal.

I could not bring myself to put any oil on the shutter power train. Viscous
friction increases with speed (in watches I actually use three different
weights of oil w/ the lightest at the balance wheel) and I would tend to
think oiling the pivots of the gear train would screw things up. The
shutter escapement zips along a helluva lot faster than any watch
escapement. I lubed the slow moving parts (cams and such) but left the rest
alone. Again, this is not covered int he Nikon manuals. Seems they felt it
was really a Copal unit that was to handled as a subassembly complete.

My F4 will go to Nikon if the time comes. I got the service manual and there
is way too much going on in there. Those units need to be someplace where
you can just reach in a bin and pull out a new part to replace a marginal
part. I'll even bet they swap out whole subassemblies and have guys in the
deep back rooms who rebuild the subassemblies later.

Just went to your website; you do provide a very nice service to the
community and I thank you.

"John" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:48:01 -0500, "?" ?@???.??? wrote:

From the time you devoted in your attempt at cracking wise, it would

appear
you don't disagree that you were trying to puff yourself up at the
questioner's expense. Looks like you have too much time on your hands.

I only wish !

Actually I work on computers nearly 12 hours a day. This stuff
is somewhat entertaining.

BTW, it was corks for which I was looking. I am a watchmaker and use

them
for flat polishing steel to a black polish.

LOL ! Well I certainly would never have guessed that !

Here is an example of what I do to make my living:

http://www.bcpl.net/~dclark/Customer/Jeff/VCIndex16.JPG

Ever work on shutters ?

In case you need help interpreting the photo, the middle part is the

piece I
made to replace the lower part and the watch cell is for size comparison.

What is D-76? Always willing to learn something new from a master.

From my site ;