Finally, the GPS manufacturers realize a common power supply is the right approach

Old July 3rd 09, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Finally, the GPS manufacturers realize a common power supplyis the right approach

J. Clarke wrote:
TonyD wrote:
"Strongbox" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 06:17:41 -0700, sarah bennett wrote:

As a followup to the two-year old article
A portable GPS should use standard mini-USB power (but which ones
do)?
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.g...c54a0185621cc9

Note the Europeans finally, two years later, have made the small USB
connector the standard for power supplies starting next year!

Micro-USB to be universal EU phone charger
http://blogs.zdnet.com/igeneration/?p=1964

Hopefully this adherance to standards will migrate to the United
States so
that all our portable electronics uses the same port for charging
and data.

IMHO, the following should all use a standard-sized power/data port:
1. Cellphones
2. Earbuds
3. GPS
4. Cameras
5. Disks
It would be great if our congressmen had the same balls as the EU.
Unfortunately there is much money to be had selling custom interface
devices for power and data ports. US manufacturers have strong
lobbys.

Our congressmen have no business interfering with the electronics
manufacturers- at least in non-safety related matters. If you don't
like
what they are selling, don't buy the product. We have more than
enough
government busy-bodying as it is.

I have no problem at all with the government requiring standardized
interfaces for common electrical devices.

Well, as long as the devices are of similar size and power requirements.
Can't imagine charging my UPS battery through a microUSB connector!
Old July 3rd 09, 11:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:11:44 -0400, tony cooper
wrote in
:

I was "playing" with this type of exercise in the early 1960s at
Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management's MBA program. And won.

I actually do it for a living.

change of career? last week you did software analysis for a living.
Old July 3rd 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/3/09 5:36 AM, in article ,
"nospam" wrote:

In article , John Navas
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:11:44 -0400, tony cooper
wrote in
:

I was "playing" with this type of exercise in the early 1960s at
Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management's MBA program. And won.

I actually do it for a living.

change of career? last week you did software analysis for a living.

A jack(off) of all trades and master of none is NavASS...

Old July 3rd 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

Apple still makes a healthy profit selling them.

No.

and you know this how? or are you now a financial consultant too?
Old July 3rd 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

Apple still makes a healthy profit selling them.

No.

and you know this how? or are you now a financial consultant too?

I've been a business consultant for many years.

so the reverse engineering of software is a side gig?

Having more than one specialty seems to be difficult for you to grasp.

no, just claiming things that have no facts behind them bothers me.
Old July 3rd 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

Having more than one specialty seems to be difficult for you to grasp.

no, just claiming things that have no facts behind them bothers me.

Then you shouldn't be bothered.

your record this past week is not very good. disturbingly so.
Old July 3rd 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

John Navas wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:01:45 -0500, nospam wrote
in :

In article , John Navas
wrote:

Having more than one specialty seems to be difficult for you to grasp.
no, just claiming things that have no facts behind them bothers me.
Then you shouldn't be bothered.

your record this past week is not very good. disturbingly so.

Then I suggest you seek professional help.

Do you also provide "professional help"? Killfiles are much cheaper.
Goodbye.
Allen
Old July 4th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 13:29:00 -0700, John Navas wrote:

Do you also provide "professional help"? Killfiles are much cheaper.
Goodbye.

I'm crushed.

Intellectually and ethically speaking, that is.

Old July 4th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

John Navas wrote:
nospam wrote
John Navas

Apple still makes a healthy profit selling them.

No.

and you know this how? or are you now a financial consultant too?

I've been a business consultant for many years.

Like Dogbert except not as competant?

--
Ray Fischer