Anything for the Perfect Shot

Old June 26th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Default Anything for the Perfect Shot

"frank" wrote in message
On Jun 26, 12:12 am, "Bill Graham" wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in message

I am compelled to say, however, that you guys have been very helpful, even
if you do have some attitude problems. I have learned a lot more from you
than I would have from some computer help group. The reason for this is
obvious to me. You guys, for the most part, speak English. I still don't
know exactly what language the people in those computer help groups speak,
but it certainly isn't any language that I can understand.

Geek. Or techno babble. Take your pick.

God help you if they ever change operating systems at your place of
work. Been there done that. Worst was a legacy system that was so old
even the manual admitted on the front cover they didn't know how some
things in the programming worked. Thing was invented a good decade
before I got there, had been added to and tinkered with. no manual,
just word of mouth, scraps of paper. Code handed down by the
Illuminati. Well, it worked.

They have, and did. Several times while I was there. Thankfully, I retired
back in 1996. They tended to get a new computer with a different operating
system every time they changed high energy physics machines, and these
machines were multi million dollar devices, so congress wasn't anxious to
change them often. Fortunately, when I worked there, we had a British born
programmer who spoke and thought in excellent English. (He also thought
logically, too) Between the two of us, we were able to build a workable
system. (He is now retired, too) The American taxpayers will never know how
lucky they really are.

Old June 27th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"John A." wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:21:15 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Savageduck wrote:
Well that's Vista for ya!

Indeed.

Time to sell that machine, put your feet up, and find a good book to
read.

Personally, I'd upgrade it to XP.

No. I'm a glutton for punishment. I know I am going to, "upgrade" to
Windows
7.

I wish I'd downloaded the beta when it was available. I didn't think
to do so until a couple weeks after they closed the tap.

I hear there's no "classic" mode. :P

I understand that the upgrade will be free to current VISTA owners, so you
might as well wait until all the bugs are out......Microsoft likes to use
their customers as software testers........

Old June 27th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"John Navas" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:26:49 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote in :

"John A." wrote in message
. ..

I hear there's no "classic" mode. :P

I understand that the upgrade will be free to current VISTA owners,

Only to those who buy Vista for a specific period prior to release.

Well, I just bought this one about 4 months ago, but I would probably have
to reload all my software again after I upgraded it, and I don't want to
have to go through THAT again....

Old June 27th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Bill Graham wrote:
[]
No. I'm a glutton for punishment. I know I am going to, "upgrade" to
Windows 7.

You'll like Windows 7 - very nice and smooth, and has run everything I've
thrown at it. Be sure to give either Vista or Windows 7 enough memory,
though. 2GB for OS and applications.

David

Old June 27th 09, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

John A. wrote:
[]
I wish I'd downloaded the beta when it was available. I didn't think
to do so until a couple weeks after they closed the tap.

I hear there's no "classic" mode. :P

Windows-7 release candidate is available for anyone to download, I
understand.

David

Old June 27th 09, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:

On 2009-06-25 21:43:57 -0700, "Bill Graham" said:

"Savageduck" wrote in message
...but then live with the consequences of that, and don't complain
even after you have been presented with solutions.
It is appears you live to complain, and having whatever you use
functioning optimally is not something you would put any effort into,
as you would not be able to complain about it.

You've got to be kidding......I have spent many hundreds of hours
reconfiguring my machine to get it to function the way I want it to.
It still doesn't, "function optimally" because of dozens of pop-ups
that slow it down, and annoy me, usually at start-up. I spend many
unhappy hours removing extraneous software from it in order to get rid
of these, but many still keep coming back, inexplicably, even though I
go through the "proper" procedure to get rid of them. As a matter of
fact, I have come to the conclusion that what this thing really is, is
another TV set, whose basic purpose in life is to deliver ads to me
under the guise of being some kind of useful tool and/or information
source. To me, its still up in the air weather or not it is worth all
the trouble it gives me. To be sure, it does do, or is at least
capable of doing some miraculous things, but at the same time, it
generates so many problems that most of the time I find that I am
behind schedule trying to keep up with it. I have several friends who
tell me they are glad they don't own one of these beasts, and I find
it very hard to argue with them. They certainly get to spend a lot
more time with their grandchildren than I do with mine.

Well that's Vista for ya!

Indeed.

Time to sell that machine, put your feet up, and find a good book to
read.

Personally, I'd upgrade it to XP.

No. I'm a glutton for punishment. I know I am going to, "upgrade" to
Windows 7.

Mate, if you're having this much trouble with Vista, W7 is probably going
to be a nightmare for you.

You could be right. But, the things I don't like about Vista are the idiot
proofing.....I want an operating system that expects the user to know what
he is doing. (Even if I don't) That's how I learn. So, I will like W7 if it
allows me to do what I want. I hate VISTA because it makes it hard for me to
do what I want.....

Old June 27th 09, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ron Hunter

wrote:

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Savageduck wrote:
Well that's Vista for ya!
Indeed.

Time to sell that machine, put your feet up, and find a good book to
read.
Personally, I'd upgrade it to XP.

No. I'm a glutton for punishment. I know I am going to, "upgrade" to
Windows
7.

I wish I'd downloaded the beta when it was available. I didn't think
to do so until a couple weeks after they closed the tap.

I hear there's no "classic" mode. :P

I understand that the upgrade will be free to current VISTA owners, so you
might as well wait until all the bugs are out......Microsoft likes to use
their customers as software testers........

Free? I VERY seriously doubt that. Also understand that going from
WinXP to Win7 will require a complete reinstall, so all applications
will have to be reinstalled. Talk about 'disincentive'!
Old June 27th 09, 08:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ron Hunter

wrote in :

"John A." wrote in message
I hear there's no "classic" mode. :P
I understand that the upgrade will be free to current VISTA owners,

Only to those who buy Vista for a specific period prior to release.

Well, I just bought this one about 4 months ago, but I would probably have
to reload all my software again after I upgraded it, and I don't want to
have to go through THAT again....

Nope. Vista users will be able to move their applications, but WinXP
users will have to reinstall. Frankly, MS needs to work on this problem
since the problem of reinstalling apps, and such is a serious
disincentive to buy a new computer. I bought a new laptop (Netbook)
this month and still have not completely 'moved in'. The lack of a CD
drive on the Netbook hasn't been much of a problem so far, and with even
MS considering issuing Win7 on a flashdrive, it might prove moot. I
know that some companies offer movies on flashdrives, so I don't expect
the lack of a CD/DVD drive to be a serious problem.
Old June 27th 09, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Bill Graham wrote:
[]
You could be right. But, the things I don't like about Vista are the
idiot proofing.....I want an operating system that expects the user
to know what he is doing. (Even if I don't) That's how I learn. So, I
will like W7 if it allows me to do what I want. I hate VISTA because
it makes it hard for me to do what I want.....

Although I would strongly advise against it, turning off User
Authorisation Control (UAC) will remove a lot of the "idiot proofing".

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

David

Old June 27th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ron Hunter

John A. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:14:06 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:
"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Personally, I'd upgrade it to XP.

No. I'm a glutton for punishment. I know I am going to, "upgrade" to
Windows 7.
Mate, if you're having this much trouble with Vista, W7 is probably going
to be a nightmare for you.

You could be right. But, the things I don't like about Vista are the idiot
proofing.....I want an operating system that expects the user to know what
he is doing. (Even if I don't) That's how I learn. So, I will like W7 if it
allows me to do what I want. I hate VISTA because it makes it hard for me to
do what I want.....

In that case, forget 7, XP, even 2000, and see if you can dig up disks
and drivers for 98.

OUCH! That idea is downright painful!