The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence

Old March 2nd 18, 12:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
David_B

Default Photography at its best! (was - The Feds Can Now (Probably)Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence)

On 02/03/2018 10:45, David_B wrote:
[....]
I've thoroughly enjoyed exploring your web site. Your photographic skill
is truly amazing, especially now that I'm using my new 27 inch iMac with
Retina 5K display

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dei

Here's a 'taster' for anyone not familiar with your work:-

http://www.primordial-light.com/aves.html

Absolutely superb! :-) Thank you so much for sharing with others.

--
David B.
Old March 2nd 18, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article s.com,
Wolffan wrote:

changing IMEI
numbers,

that's illegal.

Nospam's utter lack of credibility is astounding.

What you seem to forget so easily is that we've had this discussion in
spades in the past, where, on Android at least, it's trivial to
automatically change your reported IMEI number on the fly,

trivial or not (and it's not), it's still illegal.

not around here it¹s not.
it's fraud.

no, it¹s not. Fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful
gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right.

that's *exactly* what changing an imei does.

there is *no* legitimate reason for an end user to change an imei.
period. it's solely to deceive for unlawful gain.

The mere act of changing the
IMEI does not gain someone anything whatsoever and does not deprive anyone of
anything.

only if you *never* connect it to the cellular network is that true,
and you know quite well nobody changes the imei and leaves it in a box.

people change the imei to hide a stolen device or to get around carrier
restrictions for a particular device, such as to use a smartphone on a
dumbphone plan to avoid paying higher rates. both are fraudulent.

its also illegal to change the license plate on your. cops run the
plates and if it doesn't match the vehicle registration, your day will
be a whole lot worse than it otherwise would have been.
Old March 2nd 18, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
PeterN[_7_]

On 3/1/2018 12:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

However, you'll note that I simply stated that no consumer mobile device is
secure, simply because they all have the same weak links.

that is false.

You don't even /know/ what those weak links are.

not only do i know what they are, but i know what's needed to crack
iphone encryption. you do not.

all you do is spew nonsense about planes flying overhead (which doesn't
actually happen) that scan for imeis, which won't do a damned thing to
crack the encryption on the phone itself.

for that, you need the passcode, which if it's complex, will take a few
billion years to crack, and the imei won't help you at all,

If you statement is true, the iPhone has been in existence for several
billion + 2 years.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-cracked-iphone-encryption-averted-legal-showdown-apple/story?id=38014184

--
PeterN
Old March 2nd 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
PeterN[_7_]

On 3/1/2018 9:27 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

changing IMEI
numbers,

that's illegal.

Nospam's utter lack of credibility is astounding.

What you seem to forget so easily is that we've had this discussion in
spades in the past, where, on Android at least, it's trivial to
automatically change your reported IMEI number on the fly,

trivial or not (and it's not), it's still illegal. it's fraud. end of
story.

Murder is also illegal. According to your statements, there are no
murders, or robberies, because they are illegal.

--
PeterN
Old March 2nd 18, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

However, you'll note that I simply stated that no consumer mobile device
is secure, simply because they all have the same weak links.

that is false.

You don't even /know/ what those weak links are.

not only do i know what they are, but i know what's needed to crack
iphone encryption. you do not.

all you do is spew nonsense about planes flying overhead (which doesn't
actually happen) that scan for imeis, which won't do a damned thing to
crack the encryption on the phone itself.

for that, you need the passcode, which if it's complex, will take a few
billion years to crack, and the imei won't help you at all,

If you statement is true, the iPhone has been in existence for several
billion + 2 years.

you don't understand modern encryption either.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-cracked-iphone-encryption-averted-legal-showdown-apple/story?id=38014184

that was an older iphone 5c which lacks a secure element, was running
an older version of ios with several known exploits and was locked with
a simple 4 digit pin code, making it fairly easy to crack. the fbi lied
under oath when they said they "tried everything".

iphones now have a secure element, the exploits for the above 5c have
long been patched along with countless others, the ram flash technique
that was almost certainly used will *not* work and the default pin code
length is now 6 digits.
Old March 2nd 18, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

changing IMEI
numbers,

that's illegal.

Nospam's utter lack of credibility is astounding.

What you seem to forget so easily is that we've had this discussion in
spades in the past, where, on Android at least, it's trivial to
automatically change your reported IMEI number on the fly,

trivial or not (and it's not), it's still illegal. it's fraud. end of
story.

Murder is also illegal. According to your statements, there are no
murders, or robberies, because they are illegal.

i never said any such thing.
Old March 2nd 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
PeterN[_7_]

On 3/2/2018 10:18 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

changing IMEI
numbers,

that's illegal.

Nospam's utter lack of credibility is astounding.

What you seem to forget so easily is that we've had this discussion in
spades in the past, where, on Android at least, it's trivial to
automatically change your reported IMEI number on the fly,

trivial or not (and it's not), it's still illegal. it's fraud. end of
story.

Murder is also illegal. According to your statements, there are no
murders, or robberies, because they are illegal.

i never said any such thing.

Of course not. Sorry, I forgot. I am not permitted to show you wrong by
drawing a logical parallel.

--
PeterN
Old March 2nd 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

changing IMEI
numbers,

that's illegal.

Nospam's utter lack of credibility is astounding.

What you seem to forget so easily is that we've had this discussion in
spades in the past, where, on Android at least, it's trivial to
automatically change your reported IMEI number on the fly,

trivial or not (and it's not), it's still illegal. it's fraud. end of
story.

Murder is also illegal. According to your statements, there are no
murders, or robberies, because they are illegal.

i never said any such thing.

Of course not. Sorry, I forgot. I am not permitted to show you wrong by
drawing a logical parallel.

it's not a logical parallel.

a logical parallel would be changing the serial number of a gun:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5861
It shall be unlawful for any person‹
(g) to obliterate, remove, change, or alter the serial number or
other identification of a firearm required by this chapter; or
(h) to receive or possess a firearm having the serial number or other
identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed,
changed, or altered; or
(i) to receive or possess a firearm which is not identified by a
serial number as required by this chapter; or

another logical parallel would be changing the vin on a car:
https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimina...4-altering-or-
removing-motor-vehicle-identification-numbers
Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove,
obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road
motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part. Section 511(b) of Title
18 creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful
conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification
number. The legislative history is abundantly clear that subsection
(b) is not intended to create a loophole for the operators of "chop
shops." See H.R.Rep. No. 1087 on H.R. 6257, 98th Congress, 2d Sess.
23-25 (1984).

yet another logical parallel would be to swap license plates. see how
well that works out for you when a cop runs the plates and sees it
doesn't match the vehicle.
Old March 2nd 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 03/02/2018 01:14 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Committing an illegal act is one thing, enforcement is another.

I have a pistol laying on the shelf right now. I could take it into my
garage and remove the serial number. So long as I don't get caught with
that un-numbered firearm, nothing will happen to me.
(For the record, my pistol has it's serial number intact, and I have a
concealed carry permit for it.)

A couple months ago, I was stopped for speeding, eight miles over the
posted speed limit, an illegal action. (A fairly deserted straight
stretch of county road.) The officer took my paperwork, ran my plates
and license, came back to my truck, and told me to watch my speed in the
future. He choose not to enforce.

In the real world, where the rest of us live, illegal things happen all
the time, and sometimes without consequence.

--
Ken Hart

Old March 2nd 18, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

Eric Stevens wrote:

Neither did the Germans (enigma), nor the Japanese (jn24), nor the Russians
(diplomatic cipher), British (Zimmermann), nor the Americans (Ames) then...

"The Hut Six Story"
https://www.amazon.com/Hut-Six-Story...+hut+six+story
or https://tinyurl.com/y8br99l2 is an interesting introduction the
extraction of information from messages when not actually being able
to decipher them.

Agreed, with another example of "AF" being "Midway" and the ruse of the
water plant being out of service is another example of how very definite
information can be gleaned with snippets of metadata such that no consumer
grade mobile device is /safe/ despite that there is one brand X marketing
organization that spends millions each year to convince it's gullible users
that they're safe (from one, and only one, type of attack - which is a
frontal brute force attack on their stored data - which is only one of a
thousand links in the chain).