Is there a market for used SLR equipment?

Old April 29th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
CoolPix

Default Is there a market for used SLR equipment?

Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

CoolPix
Old April 29th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2007-04-29 07:08:55 -0700, CoolPix said:

Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

CoolPix

Generally.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old April 29th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nick c

CoolPix wrote:
Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

CoolPix

Ebay is one place to list the items for sale. Another may be your
local photo stores who may accept your film equipment to sell on
consignment, for a percentage of the sale price. Local stores in my
area sell film equipment, on consignment, for a fee of 20% of the
selling price. There still seems to be a market for film equipment in
top shape if the price is right. High end film stuff seems to move
while medium to low end equipment gathers dust.

Old April 29th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
CoolPix wrote:

Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

Can't hurt to check eBay; it costs nothing to visit the eBay site to see
what's available and if anyone's buying SLR cameras.
Old April 29th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Lacchin

On 2007-04-29 07:08:55 -0700, CoolPix said:

Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

eBay allows you to view completed listings, so you can do a search on your
kit and see what it's been fetching recently.

Prepare to be disappointed!

R.

Old April 29th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sudee

CoolPix wrote:
Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

CoolPix

Assuming your stuff has no real collectable value, your area may have a program
for donating old but functional equipment to a local high school. The kids get
something to learn on and you get a tax deduction.

--
Sue

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well
dance.
Unknown
Old April 29th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:23:40 GMT, "Rudy Lacchin"

On 2007-04-29 07:08:55 -0700, CoolPix said:

Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

eBay allows you to view completed listings, so you can do a search on your
kit and see what it's been fetching recently.

Prepare to be disappointed!

No photographer who loves his equipment will ever get what he thinks
it is worth. But if you REALLY want to be disappointed, try to unload
your beloved junk at the local camera store.

KS

Old April 29th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

CoolPix wrote:
Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

Probably Ebay, yes. A year ago I sold a bunch of stuff including Nikon
FM and N90 bodies, a Fuji S2 DSLR, and some non-AF and some AF lenses,
and was quite satisfied with the prices I got. I find selling prices on
Ebay generally fairly high (so buying gets tricky :-( ); but not
guaranteed, and may not match *inflated* notions of market value if you
happen to have any.

Take good pictures of your gear, and describe it carefully, being sure
to clearly indicate every flaw you know about. I also strongly suggest
using a low starting bid and no reserve; it seems to be getting people
into bidding competition that drives the prices to unreasonable levels,
so anything you can do to get them going benefits you in the end --
though you do of course run the risk of actually selling for that low
starting price. I think I started the S2 at $25, *maybe* $50, and sold
it for over $600. I didn't start anything else at higher than $10, and
sold several things over $100.

You won't get anything like the price you see used equipment sold for at
B&H or KEH, in general; but then they won't *pay* you more than about
1/3 to 1/4 of what they sell it for, either.
Old April 29th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

On 2007-04-29 07:08:55 -0700, CoolPix said:
Just wondering if there is a market for used SLR cameras. I have a
Canon A2 in mint condition, with 2 Lens and Flash.
Where is the best place to try and sell them, ebay?

eBay allows you to view completed listings, so you can do a search on your
kit and see what it's been fetching recently.

Prepare to be disappointed!

Reviewing completed listings is a *very* good idea, which I forgot to
mention in my recent response.

Disappointed, maybe; but it's generally a LOT more than you'll get
selling to B&H or KEH or your local camera store, most especially if you
don't have pristine collector-grade items.

FA: Darkroom equipment, Hot light, Studio equipment accessories Gordon Medium Format Equipment For Sale 0 December 7th 05 05:05 PM
GRAY MARKET! Patrick Boch Digital Photography 0 February 17th 05 11:45 PM
Grey Market IMKen Digital SLR Cameras 10 February 13th 05 11:11 PM
Book: 2005 Photographers Market (Photographer's Market) AnalogKid 35mm Photo Equipment 6 December 28th 04 06:45 PM
Pentax 67 Market Glenn Arden Medium Format Equipment For Sale 5 February 10th 04 03:14 PM