Best Bird Photo........

Old November 25th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
AnOvercomer 02

Default Best Bird Photo........

....... I've seen.
Not shot.

Cody,

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOverc...otographyLinks

Old November 25th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark²

AnOvercomer 02 wrote:
...... I've seen.
Not shot.

Based on the lighting, this appears to be a studio shot, or at least a
captive bird shot.
Light is coming up from underneath the bird...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 25th 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard Polhill

Mark² wrote:

Based on the lighting, this appears to be a studio shot, or at least a
captive bird shot.
Light is coming up from underneath the bird...

Certainly looks captive to me. Lovely photo.
Old November 25th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark²

Richard Polhill wrote:
Mark² wrote:

Based on the lighting, this appears to be a studio shot, or at least
a captive bird shot.
Light is coming up from underneath the bird...

Certainly looks captive to me. Lovely photo.

If you look at the other bird images from this photog, they are tethered at
the foot.
Yes, it's a nice image, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 26th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bokeh Buster

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Mark² wrote:

If you look at the other bird images from this photog, they are
tethered at the foot.
Yes, it's a nice image, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel...

LOL! Your bird was perched for three hours and yet you still didn't pull
off a single shot that was worth keeping. I did enjoy the excuses you came
up with in that conversation.

I remember seeing that. Give the man credit for trying. I bet he was
really excited and wasn't thinking clearly. It happens.
Old November 26th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

Probably so, but you have to admit he nailed the light correctly and was
able to get perfect balance between subject and background. This great
photo definitely trumps the one a gentleman in here posted a while black
claiming his bird shot was in the wild and that he had to run back to his
house and get the camera. Now, that's how you take a bird shot, Mark.

There is something to be said for the satisfaction gained by shooting
birds in the wild, especially when you have to climb a tree with all
your camera gear to do it.

For example, last week I got this shot of a bald eagle:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70369639

Now I know it isn't the greatest bald eagle shot in the world, but it
was quite an accomplishment for me considering how rarely I see them in
the wild. And when I do see them I'm usually at least 700-1000 yards
away. I know of at least one captive bald eagle that I can go and
photograph any day, but what's the thrill in that? I get much joy from
the rare instance when I can capture an eagle in flight, especially
from above.

As for the eagle shot in question, I liked it a lot even though it is
heavily oversharpened.
But it was a great capture. PW's point was that you can expect to get
great captures when you're shooting fish in a barrel or birds that
can't fly off.

Old November 26th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark²

Bokeh Buster wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Mark² wrote:

If you look at the other bird images from this photog, they are
tethered at the foot.
Yes, it's a nice image, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel...

LOL! Your bird was perched for three hours and yet you still didn't
pull off a single shot that was worth keeping. I did enjoy the
excuses you came up with in that conversation.

I remember seeing that. Give the man credit for trying. I bet he was
really excited and wasn't thinking clearly. It happens.

Rita continues to demonstrate his failure to understood that scenario.
Had Rita been at the scene, his sentiments would be different (or, he'd just
solidify the fact that he never understood that when your subject is 6 or 7
stops darker than the background, your choices are limited).
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 26th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Mark² wrote:
Bokeh Buster wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Mark² wrote:

If you look at the other bird images from this photog, they are
tethered at the foot.
Yes, it's a nice image, but that's like shooting fish in a
barrel...

LOL! Your bird was perched for three hours and yet you still
didn't
pull off a single shot that was worth keeping. I did enjoy the
excuses you came up with in that conversation.

I remember seeing that. Give the man credit for trying. I bet he
was
really excited and wasn't thinking clearly. It happens.

Rita continues to demonstrate his failure to understood that
scenario.

And you continue to respond to a pervert whose every post is a
metaphoric hand-in-its-panties.

--
Frank ess
"reSIST the URGE to exPLAIN"

Old November 26th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Mark² wrote:
AnOvercomer 02 wrote:
...... I've seen.
Not shot.

Based on the lighting, this appears to be a studio shot, or at least a
captive bird shot.
Light is coming up from underneath the bird...

This appears to be a zoo photo. It's a really good portrait. I might not
have cropped quite so close, but that's personal preference.

You can get a lot of fairly good bald eagle *portraits* at quite a few
zoos. Most of the birds there will be injured and not able to fend for
themselves in the wild. Habitats should be set up so there's some chance
of making it appear to be in a natural setting.

Just Google "Raptor Center" or "Raptor Rehabilitation" and then do a
sub-search (search within the results) for your own state (in the US) or
your country if outside.

In NC where I live, there's a Raptor Center in Charlotte, Grandfather
Mountain has bald eagles, and there's several other licensed raptor
rehabilitators around the state.

I'm still working on getting a good *in the wild* bald eagle shot. The
few I have aren't very good, although I do have a couple that come close
from a trip down to the Everglades in 2005.

Old November 26th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark²

Annika1980 wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

Probably so, but you have to admit he nailed the light correctly and
was able to get perfect balance between subject and background.
This great photo definitely trumps the one a gentleman in here
posted a while black claiming his bird shot was in the wild and that
he had to run back to his house and get the camera. Now, that's how
you take a bird shot, Mark.

OK, dumb-ass (Rita), next time I happen upon a "wild" bird, I'll tether him
at the foot, and carry him to a mild lighting situation where the background
isn't 6 or 7+ stops brighter than the subject.

There is something to be said for the satisfaction gained by shooting
birds in the wild, especially when you have to climb a tree with all
your camera gear to do it.

For example, last week I got this shot of a bald eagle:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70369639

Now I know it isn't the greatest bald eagle shot in the world, but it
was quite an accomplishment for me considering how rarely I see them
in the wild. And when I do see them I'm usually at least 700-1000
yards away. I know of at least one captive bald eagle that I can go
and photograph any day, but what's the thrill in that? I get much
joy from the rare instance when I can capture an eagle in flight,
especially from above.

Exactly.
I captured the bird under extremely poor lighting conditions. When you do
that, the image is going to be compromised. Nothing new there. In that
circumstance, you do what you can. The background in my scene was EXTREMELY
bright, and my subject was EXTREMELY dark. You do what you can, even if it
isn't ideal.
This shot is compromised due to heavy flash compensation for the entirely
dark bird against a mid-day, cloudless, bright beach-sand background:
But the alternative was a hopelessly blown-out background, which would have
been even worse.

As for the eagle shot in question, I liked it a lot even though it is
heavily oversharpened.
But it was a great capture. PW's point was that you can expect to get
great captures when you're shooting fish in a barrel or birds that
can't fly off.

Bingo. Rita continues to contend that my shot should look like it was shot
in a studio, under controlled conditions. -Welcome to the real world, Rita.

Some of your (Bret) macro shots are clearly sharpened to an extent that
isn't ideal BUT...these shots remain for content and the
opportunity/experience they reflect. They remain interesting because of
WHAT you captured...despite the fact that there may be imperfections and
compromises. Rita would likely

www.pbase.com/markuson