Pentax K10D aand K100D cameras

Old January 2nd 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Strider

Default Pentax K10D aand K100D cameras

Greetings from Norfolk (UK)

I am considering whether to buy either a K100D or a K10D Pentax, and
am
interested in what current users of the two models have to say.
I am obviously aware of the price difference, the different no. of
pixels
and the different type of battery used, but what other features make
the K10D
worth the extra.
Also, if I buy the K100D how many shots am I likely to get from a set
of
batteries (assuming that flash is not used) ???
Any information would be much appreciated.
--
Richard.

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked
at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson
Old January 2nd 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Martin Trautmann" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 08:26:07 -0800 (PST), Strider wrote:
I am considering whether to buy either a K100D or a K10D Pentax, and
am interested in what current users of the two models have to say. I
am obviously aware of the price difference, the different no. of
pixels and the different type of battery used, but what other
features make the K10D worth the extra.

USE the camera. K100D got mirror viewfinder, while K10D got the
traditional prism.

Otherwise, use e.g.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=pentax_ istds2%2Cpentax_istdl2%2Cpentax_k100dsuper%2Cpenta x_k10d&show=all

K10D got much better sealing. Both K10D and K100D *Super* got support
for HSM lenses.

Also, if I buy the K100D how many shots am I likely to get from a set
of batteries (assuming that flash is not used) ???

And assuming that you won't use the display and will use perfect eneloop
batteries and won't use lots of image stabilisation and won't use RAW
and won't do long AF hunts and.

Image stabilisation only happens at the time the shot is taken so will have
little effect on battery life, same for RAW, Eneloops are a great idea
though for the K100Ds.

Expect 400-500 shots at least with either camera, flash use will have the
biggest effect on battery life.

which means: battery live is influenced by many more factors of your
private applications. Batteries will work pretty far for common users,
while they will always run dry when this will be a problem for you.
Always have at least one spare set with you...

HTH
Martin

Old January 2nd 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Jan 2, 11:26 am, Strider wrote:
Greetings from Norfolk (UK)

I am considering whether to buy either a K100D or a K10D Pentax, and
am
interested in what current users of the two models have to say.
I am obviously aware of the price difference, the different no. of
pixels
and the different type of battery used, but what other features make
the K10D
worth the extra.

You could spend months with the K10D and not utilize all it's control
functions, it is very comprehensive. This also means you have to work
to get the best out of it. Also, you are unlikely to find a plastic
(now priced at entry level) camera with its build quality again,
unlike other cameras in its price range, it does not feel cheaply
made. If you consider the K100, also look at Olympus's E-510 as it
has a better kit lens (much better) and will produce good images right
from the box.
Old January 2nd 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dullpain

If you can afford the price difference and are serious about photography you
will regret not getting the K10d.

Old January 2nd 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"RichA" wrote in message
[...]

The HyperProgram mode with the two wheels on the K10D makes for easy
learning for both Tv and Av mode, really very good.

Old January 2nd 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Jan 2, 5:37 pm, "Pete D" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, if they pay attention to what happens to S.S. and A when they
turn the wheel and try to understand the purpose of the programs.
Most people transitioning from P&S to DSLR are daunted by the
complexity. Once they figure out what the green bar means, they'll
likely leave the camera set on it.
Old January 3rd 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Strider

On Jan 2, 10:21*pm, RichA wrote:
[...]

An interesting thought, but as I have a number of Pentax lenses
already, and Pentax cameras, I would like to have interchangeability
of lenses from existing cameras to new camera, hence choice between
K10 and K100.

Old January 3rd 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob G

On Jan 2, 10:26*am, Strider wrote:
Greetings from Norfolk (UK)

I am considering whether to buy either a K100D or a K10D Pentax, and
am
interested in what current users of the two models have to say.

I've owned two Pentax K10D and both showed inordinate amounts of noise
at ISO 400 and beyond. I sold them both. Don't know anything about the
K100D.
Old January 3rd 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Bob G" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 10:26 am, Strider wrote:
Greetings from Norfolk (UK)

I am considering whether to buy either a K100D or a K10D Pentax, and
am
interested in what current users of the two models have to say.

I've owned two Pentax K10D and both showed inordinate amounts of noise
at ISO 400 and beyond. I sold them both. Don't know anything about the
K100D.

Sounds like you bought the wrong tool for the job you are doing or want to
do!

Old January 3rd 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvan Descartes

Sounds like you bought the wrong tool for the job you are doing or want to
do!

??? Who the hell doesnt want low noise at ISO 800/1600 ???

You sound like your another Pentaxian (aka moronians)