What pretty cameras were there?

Old April 5th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What pretty cameras were there?

Just out of curiosity, what cameras were made that you would describe
as pretty?

Chris Loffredo:
The black version Rolleiflex SL-35E

Yes, and I also liked the Minox 35, especially the later models. Open
they may be only average, but shut they look extremely smooth.

But I also like the DiMAGE X. Shame they never came close again, and a
shame that the picture quality was so mediocre.

Thomas

Old April 5th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gaudy is right. Personally ...
I'd rather have one of those gold-plated Schneider large format lenses.

Collin

I have always thought that the Pentax program series of bodies were some of
the nicest looking cameras that Pentax ever made.

http://www.keh.com/ProductImages/ful...2009010400.jpg

The P3n, and the P30t are my favorites. The cameras are virtually the same
size as the Olympus OM-1 (just 1 millimeter taller!) and they have full
manual, aperture preferred, program AE and automatic flash (not TTL). The
control knobs are all flush with the top plate, and the top plate has a
beveled edge all the way around it.

http://www.keh.com/ProductImages/ful...2009035362.jpg

The P30t is especially nice, in the gray finish (titanium), that is
reminiscent of the Special America Edition Contax 159mm

http://www.keh.com/ProductImages/ful...2009036472.jpg

I liked those program bodies so much that I have acquired 2 of the P3n and 2
of the P30t bodies.

Old April 5th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

The early P bodies at least had a nice brass bottom plate that looked
good even when worn. But the later ones were all placticky.

Old April 5th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what cameras were made that you would describe
as pretty?

Anything that isn't a Fuji Instax.

Old April 5th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
The early P bodies at least had a nice brass bottom plate that looked
good even when worn. But the later ones were all placticky.

I rather like the fact that the plastic ("polycarbonate") bottom plates keep
on looking like new, with no scratches.

Old April 6th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

http://www.shoppingcomparison.co.uk/IMGE/vvvz_qfnrzbnztj/vbrrsnqd/_qfnr/hl_fdr/5617869A56UC63652M.jpg
Old April 6th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/fu/fuji-instax-mini-7.jpg
Old April 6th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I've a black KX that doesn't look too bad with its corner brassing.
Rather special, in fact.
And a nice-looking black ME is on its way to me.

Collin

Old April 8th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Jeremy" wrote in message

[...]

Funny, I always thought the P3 series rather ugly. No accounting for taste!

I think the MX is gorgeous though, and my own favourite among 35mm SLRs is
still the LX, especially with the smaller FA-2 prism fitted (though I
usually prefer an FA-1 for use.) My 'signature' pink Pentax - an LX with
pink snakeskin - usually sports an FA-2, and certainly gets noticed, without
being anything like as gaudy as one of the gold ones.

The Titanium LX special editions were nice, but the gold really doesn't
appeal to me at all. I'd much rather have something plated in rhodium (or
platinum) than gold, if I ever was feeling daft enough to spend the money...

Peter

Old April 8th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gaudy is right. Personally ...
I'd rather have one of those gold-plated Schneider large format lenses.

Collin

Mmmm - though maybe my favourite 'plated thing' is the Rolleiflex 2.8F
Platin.

Peter