street photography and shutter lag

Old December 10th 04, 10:45 PM
David J Taylor

Default street photography and shutter lag

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
more or less like manual focus.

The 8400 has a manual focus mode, although I've never had occasion to use
it. I would imagine it would do what you want. Perhaps you could
download the manual to check. This site has the 5400 manual:
http://www.nikon.com.sg/

The only fixed-focus I've done has been at infinity - from an aircraft -
using the infinity setting.

David

Old December 11th 04, 02:07 PM
David J Taylor

Ed Ruf wrote:
[]
David, I would assume the 8400 has the AF/AE button as well, no? On
my 5700 you can set this to lock AT only, AE only or both. Being a
newer model, I'd assume the 8400 can do this as well?

Yes, indeed it does have the AE/AF-L button, so it should do everything
that's required.

I was reluctant to promise the OP that this would do /exactly/ what they
wanted as it is something is haven't /directly/ used myself.

Cheers,
David

Old December 11th 04, 02:42 PM
David J Taylor

Ed Ruf wrote:
[]
Out of curiosity has Nikon fixed what I would consider a design flaw
on the 57700, the need to hold the button down? I always thought and
still think a toggle would be much more usable.

As I haven't used it - I don't know!

If you don't have an 8400 manual, and could accept a 14MB file by e-mail
(perhap 18MB attachment size), I will e-mail you the manual (as I know you
are an existing Nikon user). Or download it yourself, of course.

Cheers,
David

Old December 11th 04, 06:51 PM
David J Taylor

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
In article , David J Taylor
wrote:

[]
I would love to get it. (I did not see the 8400 in the Coolpix list on
the site you gave.)

You will need to try another site.

Cheers,
David

Old December 11th 04, 06:51 PM
David J Taylor

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:

[]

Old December 11th 04, 06:52 PM
David J Taylor

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
[]
Yes, indeed it does have the AE/AF-L button, so it should do
everything that's required.

Not quite, for that only locks the AF for ONE shot, right?

As I said, I haven't used the AF-L function so I can't say.

David