Card Reader Problem

Old October 26th 04, 03:03 AM
MB_

Default Card Reader Problem

Help. I bought a Canon A75 digital camera.

I then decided (based on advice from others on this group) to get a card
reader for it.

I bought on Ebay a "Kingston USB compact flash card reader". But the card I
have is too thick --- it doesn't fit into the slot.

What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
card reader??

Mel

Old October 26th 04, 03:16 AM
GT40

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:03:47 -0400, "MB_"
wrote:

Help. I bought a Canon A75 digital camera.

I then decided (based on advice from others on this group) to get a card
reader for it.

I bought on Ebay a "Kingston USB compact flash card reader". But the card I
have is too thick --- it doesn't fit into the slot.

What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
card reader??

Are you sure the camera takes CF cards? And the reader takes CF
cards. If it doesn't fit there is something wrong

Old October 26th 04, 03:32 AM
Phil Wheeler

Make sure you are putting it in the right way.

Also -- there is CF1 and CF2. CF2 is thicker .. hard to imagine the
Kinston reader would not deal with both, though.

Phil

Old October 26th 04, 06:04 AM
Christopher Muto

the cf card has tiny holes on one edge of the card... this edge should go in
to the card reader first... also, the other edges are notched so that the
card can only be inserted in one direction... either label side up or
down... try both.

Old October 26th 04, 11:40 AM
tomcas

MB_ wrote:
Help. I bought a Canon A75 digital camera.

I then decided (based on advice from others on this group) to get a card
reader for it.

I bought on Ebay a "Kingston USB compact flash card reader". But the card I
have is too thick --- it doesn't fit into the slot.

What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
card reader??

Is this the reader you bought?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Are you sure you have a CF card and have you used it in the camera yet?

Mel

Old October 26th 04, 05:02 PM
Dave Martindale

"MB_" writes:
Help. I bought a Canon A75 digital camera.

I bought on Ebay a "Kingston USB compact flash card reader". But the card I
have is too thick --- it doesn't fit into the slot.

What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
card reader??

The A75 takes CF cards, and only the thinner Type 1 CF, not the thicker
type 2. So if it works in the camera, it's a type 1 CF.

If the card is far too big to fit in the slot of the reader, the reader
is actually designed for SD or MMC or Memory Stick or some form of flash
memory card *other* than CF. You have the wrong reader.

If the card looks like it ought to fit in the available slot, but just
doesn't, chances are you're inserting the card upside down (the card and
slot are keyed to fit only one way). Or there could be something jammed
inside the reader, or a damaged or bent pin inside the reader. Look
inside it with a light and a magnifier to check.

Dave

Old October 26th 04, 06:12 PM
MB_

Tomcas and Dave:

Yes, that is the correct item on Ebay that I purchased.
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW).

Yes, the card works fine in the camera.

Dave, you said:

If the card is far too big to fit in the slot of the reader, the reader
is actually designed for SD or MMC or Memory Stick or some form of flash
memory card *other* than CF. You have the wrong reader.

This is EXACTLY the case. I'm trying to contact the seller, but so far he
hasn't replied. Can you guys tell from the description?? It looks like I
must have totally it, or was the description not clear? Hopefully, the
seller will take back the item. As stated the card is clearly way too big
for the slot.

Mel