Why I love my TZ1

Old December 12th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
~~NoMad~~

Default Why I love my TZ1

I learned a lesson today:

Met a pretty young lady taking pictures with her Panasonic FZ7 out in the
wilderness, I had rode there on my dirtbike. We were both taking pictures
of a natural arch. She ask me to take a picture of her with the arch in the
background. I said OK.

She handed me her FZ7 and the first thing I noticed was the tiny LCD screen,
yuk. I tried using the viewfinder but with my motorcycle helmet on that was
difficult.
I touched the shutter to try and get the LCD to light up but it wouldn't. I
took her picture through the tiny aperture of the viewfinder but the camera
wouldn't reach to my eye with my helmet on. After that picture
she said: Wait a minute! Take one with my other camera too.

Now she broke out an Olympus E300 and said that both her cameras were 8MP.
Whoopee!

Well I couldn't get the E300 up to my eye either and the lens on the camera
was too long to get both her and the arch framed for a shot. I pushed the
button and handed the camera back to her. Yuk #2.

Now both of her cameras seemed huge to me. I took out my TZ1 and shot a wide
angle and a 10x telephoto of the arch using its big bright LCD to frame the
shots.

Damn glad I don't have to use a viewfinder anymore. Yuk.

NM

Old December 12th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 04:49:32 -0800, ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
I learned a lesson today:

Met a pretty young lady taking pictures with her Panasonic FZ7 out in the
wilderness, I had rode there on my dirtbike. We were both taking pictures
of a natural arch. She ask me to take a picture of her with the arch in the
background. I said OK.

She handed me her FZ7 and the first thing I noticed was the tiny LCD screen,
yuk. I tried using the viewfinder but with my motorcycle helmet on that was
difficult.
I touched the shutter to try and get the LCD to light up but it wouldn't. I
took her picture through the tiny aperture of the viewfinder but the camera
wouldn't reach to my eye with my helmet on. After that picture
she said: Wait a minute! Take one with my other camera too.

The FZ series has an 'EVF/LCD' button that toggles the live display
between the viewfinder and the main screen. That would have solved your
problem. One would have hoped that the camera owner would have known
about this button.

Alternatively, I suppose you could have taken off your helmet.

Now she broke out an Olympus E300 and said that both her cameras were 8MP.
Whoopee!

OK, if she thought that the FZ7 was an 8MP camera (it's a 6), maybe
expecting knowledge of the display toggle button is a bit much.

Now both of her cameras seemed huge to me. I took out my TZ1 and shot a wide
angle and a 10x telephoto of the arch using its big bright LCD to frame the
shots.

Damn glad I don't have to use a viewfinder anymore. Yuk.

I like having the option. I use the LCD occasionally on my FZ5, but the
great majority of shots I take use the EVF for framing. Easier to hold
the camera steady, and perhaps more importantly (to me, anyway), the
only thing in my field of view is the image, which makes it easier to
compose shots. I find that framing with the LCD can be difficult because
my eyes see the camera itself, stuff around the camera, stuff off on the
periphery, as well as the display on the screen. With the viewfinder,
it's one eye to the cup, close the other one, and there aren't any
distractions.

I use the LCD for framing shots when the camera needs to be held at odd
angles (holding it over my head or down near the ground), and that's
about it.

To each their own, though.

-dms
Old December 12th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ÉϹÅÎÚÑ»

°ÔÖ÷Öйú¶¯»*flash³ÉÈËÓÎÏ·www.bazhucn.com