Jagged lines on F610 pics

Old December 8th 04, 11:21 AM
Trevor Davies

Default Jagged lines on F610 pics

Bob,
Thanks for the reply, sorry couldn't reply to the orginal post for
some reason. I am definately saving at 6MP. However, I think the
problem may be more to do with my lousy computer or software rather
than the camera. When I take a photo at 6MP and load it into any
imaging program, the picture is huge, many times the size of the
screen so I tend to hit zoom 25% immediately so I can have a look at
the whole picture on screen. This is when the problem appears to
happen. If I look at the picture at full size, all it fine. I would
have thought that viewing it smaller would make the quality look
better not worse ! The reason the pic in the 6800 looked better is
that it was taken at a much lower(!) resolution so was naturally
smaller on screen. Seems a bit strange to me that with a pic having
6MP of information in it that shrinking it results in straight lines
becoming jagged, looks like a diagonal line used to on a *really* old
computer that used big blocks to draw lines !
I have tried with the fuji finepix software (which results in totally
unviewable pics the jagged-ness is that bad !), the free imaging s/w
that comes with win 2000 and photoshop home edition.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Trevor Davies.

Trevor Davies wrote:
I have a Fuji F610. I seem to be doing something wrong as my pictures
seem to be coming out with jagged lines where there should be straight
diagonals. Have tried this indoor and outdoors and the same thing
happens. I have it set to auto exposure with a 6MP quality. I found
an old pic I took with my old fuji 6800Z so I took the same shot again
with the F610 (my garden) and the old 6800 shot is way superior, e.g.
fences have straight lines not jagged ones !
Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong please.

Many Thanks,
Trevor Davies.

Sounds like you are SAVING the images at 640 X 480 or some other low
resolution. I know you said you are shooting at full 6MP but are you?
Are you using a high degree of compression?
When you check your image size in a photo editor, what size does the
editor say the image actually is?
If the image is really 6 MP, and saved at low compression and you
still
see jaggies then I'd send the camera back to Fuji for repair or
replacement.
Bob Williams
Old December 8th 04, 11:47 AM
Larry

In article , trevord70
@hotmail.com says...

Trevor Davies wrote:
[...]

The jaggies (in your case) are simply being caused by the re-scaling of the
viewer being used.

If you want the "jaggies" gone on a computer screen you need to use a good
re-sizing algorythm and size it for screen resolution.

Irfanview is a good "freebie" and does the job well.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Old December 8th 04, 05:33 PM
azscrewdriver

I have the same problem. I use ACDsee, resizes get the jaggies on many
pictures, full blown don't and I have a high end graphics card and computer.
Its the software.

ws.com...

Old December 27th 04, 08:28 PM

In message ,
(Trevor Davies) wrote:

[...]

The problem is with your viewing software. It is using a resizing
method that doesn't use a weighted average to create the new pixels.
The more an image is downsized, and/or the sharper the original image
is, the jaggier the results will be.

See if the program has a preference somewhere to get better quality (but
slower) resizes.
--

John P Sheehy