Any Opinions on Cokin Filters for my Pentax 67

Old October 21st 04, 12:57 AM
James Dunn

Default Any Opinions on Cokin Filters for my Pentax 67

I intend to shoot landscapes and need graduated ND filters, warming
filters and a polarizer. I have been looking at Cokin filters, but they
seem cheap compared to other brands. I notice they are "resin" filters
instead of Multi Coated glass. I'm a bit afraid of these. Any comments.

With a Pentax 67II I think I don't need a circular polarizer should get
a linear (Like I use with my manual Nikon). Any comment ?
Old October 21st 04, 04:49 AM
Phil Stripling

James Dunn writes:

I intend to shoot landscapes and need graduated ND filters, warming
filters and a polarizer. I have been looking at Cokin filters, but they
seem cheap compared to other brands. I notice they are "resin" filters
instead of Multi Coated glass. I'm a bit afraid of these. Any comments.

I'll make a suggestion. Get a Cokin and get a "good" brand and compare
them. If you can't tell the difference, go with Cokin. Resin has a
reputation for being easy to scratch. I have some, and I've taken care not
the scratch them, so that's not been an issue for me. I have found that one
or two of the resins were off color when I saw the results (I shoot
slides), so I don't buy them automatically.

With a Pentax 67II I think I don't need a circular polarizer should get
a linear (Like I use with my manual Nikon). Any comment ?

I have the old 67, and I don't have the circular version. I understand that
it's required for through the lens automatic exposure and autofocusing
which use a split beam. I don't know if the 67II is different, so I can't
tell you whether it requires the circular version. Maybe the manual says?

Old October 21st 04, 08:45 PM
Alan Browne

Phil Stripling wrote:

James Dunn writes:

I intend to shoot landscapes and need graduated ND filters, warming
filters and a polarizer. I have been looking at Cokin filters, but they
seem cheap compared to other brands. I notice they are "resin" filters
instead of Multi Coated glass. I'm a bit afraid of these. Any comments.

I'll make a suggestion. Get a Cokin and get a "good" brand and compare
them. If you can't tell the difference, go with Cokin. Resin has a
reputation for being easy to scratch. I have some, and I've taken care not
the scratch them, so that's not been an issue for me. I have found that one
or two of the resins were off color when I saw the results (I shoot
slides), so I don't buy them automatically.

A pro I know who shoots Pentax 6x7, uses Cokin and the Cokin resin filters. His
fix for scratches? Lemon Pledge. He's been on the same set of ND grads for
over 10 years (absolutely STUNNING nature photography).

Old October 24th 04, 12:14 AM
BandHPhoto

I notice they are "resin" filters
instead of Multi Coated glass. I'm a bit afraid of these. Any comments.

While Cokins are fine if cared for, you can get Tiffen glass filters in Cokin
"P" size.

With a Pentax 67II I think I don't need a circular polarizer should get a
linear

Linear wil be fine.
- --

regards,