Cincicnnati area processing

Old December 31st 03, 05:36 PM
Craig KB8FGC

Default Cincicnnati area processing

Hello...can someone suggest a good local area lab for APS processing?
One that actually reads the PQ information on the film and prints out
the full data set on the back of the prints? I purchased a Canon Elph
for my wife for Christams and we are now ready to process the first
rolls of film from that camera and it is important to me that she not
be dissappointed. Also, which mail order labs are most reliable? How
about Kroger (local grocery store)...she works there and can get a
discount.
Thank you in advance,
Craig
Old January 2nd 04, 10:08 PM
Michael Weinstein, M.D.

If your local Kodak lab (actual send out to Kodak, not just "Kodak Paper")
that you might have used for 35mm is a good one, then they would be a good
bet for the APS. I have sent Fuji APS to Fuji through Wal mart and been
disappointed - my local Kodak lab does better with Fuji as well as Kodak
film.
--
Michael Weinstein | "Never underestimate the power of stupid
Nashua, NH | people in large groups."

Old January 3rd 04, 05:42 AM
Michael Weinstein, M.D.

I agree. Konica is used by the supermarkets where I live and it is uniformly
awful. Their film, on the other hand, if you get the 400, is not bad and
usually inexpensive.

From: Michael Benveniste
Newsgroups: rec.photo.equipment.aps
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 00:04:46 GMT

On 31 Dec 2003 09:36:29 -0800, (Craig KB8FGC)
wrote:

How about Kroger (local grocery store)...she works there and can get a
discount.

See if you can find out which company Kroger uses for Film Processing.
If it's Konica, I'd advise taking a pass -- my experiences with them
have not been good.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

Old January 3rd 04, 05:11 PM
Craig

Default Cincicnnati area processing RESULTS

Hello...just got the photos back (from the local grocery...my wife brought
them in and I decided it wouldn't hurt to at least try them). She used
their 1 hour processing (for both APS and 35mm). They did a fair job with
the 35mm (except the green on my pool table came out a bit blue...could this
be the outdated Fuji film or the processing...other photos seem okay), but
I'm a little disappointed with the APS. Many of the whites have a blue
cast. Grain is noticable (Fuji 400 speed) but only if you look very, very
close (H format prints). Since it was 1 hour, I assume they did it in house
with a machine. They did put the printing of most (but not all) PQ data on
the back of the prints, as well as messages ("Season's Greetings"...the
camera has this option), but they did not print multiple copies on photos
where I set the camera to do so. Overall, I guess they are okay for casual
photos, but given that they charge as much as a Kodak mailer would cost, not
the best deal. Any comments anyone?
Craig

--
"They that can give up essential liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither

Concerned with the direction our government
is going? VOTE LIBERTARIAN

Old January 3rd 04, 07:13 PM
Michael Weinstein, M.D.

My experience is that 1-hr APS is so uniformly terrible the exceptions
aren't worth noting. Pro labs don't do APS as a rule. Your best bet is
send-out to Kodak.

Old January 5th 04, 05:46 AM
Dlogan

The one hour processing I've had done, had very poor results. The colors
and grain were terrible. The size of the prints didn't get done right.
And, with a few of the pictures, my camera can encode special processing
instructions to have it developed as taken, and it didn't get done. The
best results I've had have been from a local K Mart, which sends their film
to a Kodak lab.
David

Old January 7th 04, 01:25 AM
Michael Weinstein, M.D.

For all the dumping on Kodak that we see on the photo newsgroups, they
really have good processing, especially for APS.

Old January 9th 04, 01:20 AM
Morton Linder

My local camera store sends my APS film to Kodak. I get my prints and negs back in
24 hours if 1 set of prints is ordered, and 48 hours if a second free set is
requested. The results are usually good, and if a problem arises, they redo it
free. My only recent problem is that the ID number and date and frame number on
the print back have recently been either smudged or absent for several months now,
necessitating that I write them all on the picture backs by hand.

Morton