Vivitar 283 Flash Questions

Old November 13th 03, 03:45 PM
Mike King

Default Vivitar 283 Flash Questions

Aren't these the guide numbers you need? For 1/2 power open up one stop
(i.e. the guide number would go from 160 to 110 as in f/16 to f/11--if the
full power g.n. is 100 1/2 power is 100/1.414 about 70 (the 1.414 is the
square root of 2--just like f/stops). 1/4 power is two stops g.n would be
50, etc.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Phil Duff" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:51:19 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format Mark Stephen

wrote:
: I just picked up a Vivitar 283 strobe to use with my Yashicamat 124G
: and have a couple of questions.

We have a pair of 285HV's. I also have a question about the 283 and
particularly the 285HV Vivitars:

Anyone know or measured the guide numbers for the Manual settings (M,
1/2, 1/4,1/16) with ISO100 @ 10ft. (or other distances, ISOs?)

The manual isn't helpful. Only has guide numbers for the different
reflector settings.

Old November 13th 03, 03:45 PM
Mike King

Shoot the thing on automatic.

--
darkroommike

----------
"bill martin" wrote in message
Neat! I would never have thought of that. Do you have any suggestion
about how many f stops you lose with this setup? Thanks for the info.

Slavko Eror wrote:
The cheapest softbox: Use a Bounty paper towel. A single square roll is
ideal. Put each corner on all four sides of your flash and secure with

an
elastic. This creates a fairly large "dome" around the flash head and
diffuses light really well.

"Mark Stephen" wrote in message
om...

I just picked up a Vivitar 283 strobe to use with my Yashicamat 124G
and have a couple of questions.

First, the flash has no PC cord. I am going to order some film and
stuff from B&H, can I just buy a cheap Male to Female 12" PC cord,
will that work ?

Second, can anyone recommend a cheap soft box or diffuser to use with
the unit ?

If anyone has a PC cord and softbox/diffuser for a 283 they want to
sell, let me know.

Thanks,

Mark.

Old November 13th 03, 03:47 PM
Mike King

I point the flash at the ceiling and bounce it. Or if the ceiling is 50
feet in the air I attach a piece of white paper to the flash and bend it at
45 degrees. Wivitar used to make a BD-1 bounce diffuser that attached to
the flash and did the same thing, I never spent the $20.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old November 13th 03, 03:49 PM
Mike King

PC-1 one foot cheapie, PC-31 coiled 31" cord--better, Paramount Cords also
available with the Vivitar end. You'll NEVER wear out a Paramount cord.
But buy a spare anyway!!

--
darkroommike

----------

Old November 13th 03, 03:51 PM
Mike King

Even the low voltage 283 has enough voltage to "fry" a sensitive camera like
a Canon EOS or most any digital, WEIN makes a gadget called a safe-synch
that will isolate and protect your camera from the voltage. Also good if
you are using an older studio flash rig, though I always use a small, safe!,
flash on camera to trip my studio packs.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
In article , Scott Wuerch wrote:

Mark Stephen wrote:

I just picked up a Vivitar 283 strobe to use with my Yashicamat 124G
and have a couple of questions.

First, the flash has no PC cord. I am going to order some film and
stuff from B&H, can I just buy a cheap Male to Female 12" PC cord,
will that work ?

You must buy a PC to Vivtar cord. Do your self a favor and buy a good

PC
cable. I use either Vivtar or Paramount. Paramount is my first choice.

I second that motion. Paramount makes IMHO the best cords around. While
you are ordering it, get the "PC plug" tool that they sell. If you bend

the
pin or the things around it, this tool will help you get a good fit.

Be careful with the flash cord. Some of the 283's had a high voltage
(about 180v) trigger circuit. It will work fine on your Mat124g, but
it may leave you with some "shocking experiences" if you are not carefull
handeling the sync cord.

Even if the flash is turned off, there may be residual voltage on the
trigger circuit. If you're handy with a voltmeter, you can test it.
If you were lucky enough to get the original box, look on the end.
If there is a black dot near to the model number, it is a low voltage
unit.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM:

email)
Carp are bottom feeders, koi are too, and not surprisingly are ferrets.