What causes this problem?

Old November 21st 05, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default What causes this problem?

I posted 2 pictures yesterday in alt.binaries.pictures.animals under the
thread "Pics of Holly and Duffy on the scratching post." Both show a
problem that I occasionally see. That is, the scratching post and some of
the lower stripes on the chairs show distortion, almost like what could be
seen if reflected in water. I used a Nikon 8800. In the past, I have had a
similar problem with the roof of my house, where everything else was correct
but the roof showed this same problem. Those pictures were taken with a
*different* camera but had similar results.

Can anyone explain what is causing this problem -- and, more important, what
I can do to avoid it in the future?

Thanks,
MaryL

Old November 21st 05, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I posted 2 pictures yesterday in alt.binaries.pictures.animals under the
thread "Pics of Holly and Duffy on the scratching post." Both show a
problem that I occasionally see. That is, the scratching post and some of
the lower stripes on the chairs show distortion, almost like what could be
seen if reflected in water. I used a Nikon 8800. In the past, I have had

similar problem with the roof of my house, where everything else was

correct
but the roof showed this same problem. Those pictures were taken with a
*different* camera but had similar results.

Can anyone explain what is causing this problem -- and, more important,

what
I can do to avoid it in the future?

Thanks,
MaryL

Hi Mary:
It looks like you're getting some "jaggies" in your pictures. Here's a link
to the dpreview glossary that explains the problem....
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=jaggies
You didn't say what the resolution and compression settings were on the
camera. You can minimize this by using the largest jpeg size and the lowest
cmpression setting...this will give you larger files, but it will give you
less of the jaggies....
regards....M

Old November 21st 05, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

MTBike1970 wrote:

[...]

I didn't look up the photos (because I'm not set up for looking at
binaries), but it sounds more like a Moire pattern to me.
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/Moire_01.htm

Old November 22nd 05, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:53:42 -0600, in rec.photo.digital "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Can anyone explain what is causing this problem -- and, more important, what
I can do to avoid it in the future?

As timeoday mentioned this looks like moire. Where these photos taken at
640x480? If some you could shoot at higher resolution and downsample as a
way to help get around it.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 8800 and always shoot at the maximum 8mp
resolution with the lowest JPEG compression setting (2:1) or RAW. I have
never seen what the OP describes.

--
- Barry