New to digital camera question??

Old June 26th 04, 05:13 PM
Big Monkey

Default New to digital camera question??

What is the difference between compact flash memory cards and secure digital
cards.

I have a DX6490 Kodak camera. I'm new to digital and need a little helpful
info.

Thanks!!!!

Old June 26th 04, 05:16 PM
ICee

Big Monkey wrote:
What is the difference between compact flash memory cards and secure
digital cards.

I have a DX6490 Kodak camera. I'm new to digital and need a little
helpful info.

Thanks!!!!

This should help to make it even more confusing (jk).
http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html

Old June 26th 04, 05:43 PM
Phil Wheeler

There are at least 8 different types of cards. CF have been the most
widely used. SD is relatively new and about half the size (so they are
showing up in newer, smaller cameras). I believe SD is a tad more
expensive per megabyte at this point in time.

If new, you will want a USB (USB2 preferred) card reader. And get one
that reads at 8 types of cards for the future. I've had to buy a string
of new ones each time I buy a new camera!

Phil

Old June 26th 04, 08:52 PM
Ron Hunter

Big Monkey wrote:

What is the difference between compact flash memory cards and secure digital
cards.

I have a DX6490 Kodak camera. I'm new to digital and need a little helpful
info.

Thanks!!!!

Primarily the size factor, which is the reason Kodak gives for switching
from CF to SD. I see no substantial functional difference.
Old June 26th 04, 09:44 PM
ICee

Phil Wheeler wrote:
ICee wrote:
Big Monkey wrote:

What is the difference between compact flash memory cards and secure
digital cards.

I have a DX6490 Kodak camera. I'm new to digital and need a little
helpful info.

Thanks!!!!

This should help to make it even more confusing (jk).
http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html

NIce reference!

It's amazing what Google will turn up.

Old July 1st 04, 03:01 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Big, Glad to help.

CompactFlash® is a very small removable mass storage device. First
introduced in 1994 by SanDisk Corporation, CFT cards weigh a half ounce and
are the size of a matchbook. They provide complete PCMCIA-ATA functionality
and compatibility plus TrueIDE functionality compatible with ATA/ATAPI-4. At
43mm (1.7") x 36mm (1.4") x 3.3mm (0.13"), the device's thickness is less
than one-half of a current PCMCIA Type II card. It is actually one-fourth
the volume of a PCMCIA card. Compared to a 68-pin PCMCIA card, a CF card has
50 pins but still conforms to PCMCIA ATA specs. It can be easily slipped
into a passive 68-pin Type II adapter card that fully meets PCMCIA
electrical and mechanical interface specifications.
CompactFlash cards are designed with flash technology, a non-volatile
storage solution that does not require a battery to retain data
indefinitely. CompactFlash storage products are solid state, meaning they
contain no moving parts, and provide users with much greater protection of
their data than conventional magnetic disk drives. They are five to ten
times more rugged and reliable than disk drives including those found in PC
Card Type III products. CF cards consume only five percent of the power
required by small disk drives.

CF cards are also available for data storage using the Microdrive. CF I/O
cards are available as modems, Ethernet, serial, digital phone cards, laser
scanners, BlueTooth wireless, 802.11b WiFi LAN, etc.

You can find out more about CFC or Compact Flash by visiting the following
web page (where I gleaned this data).

http://www.compactflash.org/info/cfinfo.htm

An SD Card is a highly secure stamp-sized flash memory card The SD Card
weighs approximately two grams. The SD Card can be used in a variety of
digital products; digital music players, cellular phones, handheld PCs
(HPCs), digital cameras, digital video camcorders, smart phones, car
navigation systems and electronic books.

Some of the advanced features include:

Cryptographic security for copyrighted data based on proven security
concepts from DVD audio
High transfer rate for fast copy/download
High storage capacity
Non-volatile solid-state; no moving parts maximizes battery power. Data is
not lost when power is turned off
Low battery consumption to maximize battery life in small portable devices
User selectable mechanical write protect switch on the exterior card casing
New SD Card slots will accept existing MultiMediaCards, allowing an easy
migration path for future SD Cards
Operating shock rating of 2,000Gs, equivalent to a 10-foot drop to the floor
Unfazed by drastic weather conditions ranging from blistering heat to
freezing cold
Security level complies with Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) portable
device requirements
The SD Card weighs approximately 1.5g, is 32mm x 24mm, and is 2.1mm thick

Best Regards,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company