Huh? 4x5 enlargements require 5x7 enlarger?

Old July 28th 04, 05:06 PM
jjs

Default Huh? 4x5 enlargements require 5x7 enlarger?

Someone said:
To do justice to 4x5 you need a 5x7 enlarger and a decent lens, or perhaps
one of the expensive variable contrast cold light 4x5 heads.

Seriously?

Old July 28th 04, 05:23 PM
Raoul

In article , jjs
wrote:

Someone said:
To do justice to 4x5 you need a 5x7 enlarger and a decent lens, or perhaps
one of the expensive variable contrast cold light 4x5 heads.

Seriously?

Can't be. One possible way of having even light acroiss the negative is
to have an oversize enlarger. But not a gurrantee. I use an Aristo
cold light head on my Beseler 45MX and get nice even images. The
condenser head covers just as well. A VC head would be nice but,
considering I do fine with what I have, a little too much money for my
pocketbook.

Jeff

Old July 28th 04, 07:02 PM
Bob G

I use an Aristo
cold light head on my Beseler 45MX and get nice even images. The
condenser head covers just as well. A VC head would be nice but,
considering I do fine with what I have, a little too much money for my
pocketbook.

I've used an Aristo light on my Omega D2 with mixed results.

I insist on printing the entire negative without cropping and I therefore have
had to cut my negative carrier to show the edges. I've also made a glass
carrier, but that introduces problems of its own.

The fact is, I'm pushing the Aristo light to its limits under those
requirements.

Bob G

Old July 28th 04, 08:51 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Someone said:

To do justice to 4x5 you need a 5x7 enlarger and a decent lens, or perhaps
one of the expensive variable contrast cold light 4x5 heads.

Seriously?

To have really flat illumination requires an Ulbricht/integrating sphere.

http://www.labsphere.com/uploadDocs/...e%20Theory% 2
0and%20Applications_1.pdf (or some URL like it)

http://www.physics.nist.gov/Division...ions/NEWRAD97_
1.pdf

Fascinating stuff, eh?

Why not test first and see if your present illumination is 'good enough' ((c)
GE, Inc.)
before rushing out to get that Ph.D..

Focus the lens and then, with a blank (or no) negative in the carrier and
a #5 polycontrast filter, expose a sheet of paper to a mid grey. Is the tone
even enough for you? (If you have a condenser enlarger you will find you have
an
irrefragable need to clean the condensers.)

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com