Why are there no modular (except Leica's) DSLRs?

Old September 28th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Why are there no modular (except Leica's) DSLRs?

Is cost control so paramount they can't make a really basic DSLR you
could add to at future dates? Imagine if it was possible to slip out a
module with a 5 meg CCD and put in one with 10? Or 20? Or add a
feature onto the camera you don't initially buy? Do lowlight with a
near noise free 5 meg with huge pixels then do a scenic with a 14 meg.
This isn't unheard of. SLR systems of years back had TONS of add-ons
and accessories besides lenses and flashes.
If you can remove a battery, why not a module with a CCD on it, or
replace a prism housing with a waist-level finder, assuming
articulated live LCDs don't become the norm?
Old September 28th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bmoag

That world may be coming but not yet.
That kind of modular construction even in the film world commanded a premium
rice and will never likely be cost effective even at the prosumer level.
We live in a disposable culture.
Perhaps we should dipose of the culture . . . .

Old September 28th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kelly B

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:41:33 -0500, bmoag wrote:

That world may be coming but not yet.
That kind of modular construction even in the film world commanded a
premium
rice and will never likely be cost effective even at the prosumer level.
We live in a disposable culture.
Perhaps we should dipose of the culture . . . .

I read an interview recently with a photo industry insider; He basically
stated that modular cameras were coming in the not too distant future. Not
so much because camera buyers wanted it but because environmental groups
and government bodies were starting to push for it to reduce the amount of
waste generated. In other words, when upgrading to a new P&S you could
turn in an older model for recycling/refurbishment and get a price break
on the new camera. With DSLRs you would simply pay to upgrade the
sensor/firmware/light meter etc. and keep the body. I think the article
was in Digital Photo Pro a couple months back.

Old September 28th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Kelly B wrote:
[...]

Can you tell me where 'Digital Photo Pro' is published? I'm interested,
because I owned the title Photo Pro from 1989 to 1996, when we ceased
using that name, and a new UK publishing venture is about to launch a
magazine called 'Digital Photo Pro'. I have absolutely no concerns about
that, but they think their title is unique - in other words, they don't
know about any existing title called Digital Photo Pro.

Is this a US title?

When I launched Photo Pro in the UK in 1989, Patch Publications
immediately - and without any apologies at all - copied it and launched
Photo Pro in the USA six months later. Any connection between that and
Digital Photo Pro?

David
Old September 28th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kelly B

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 04:04:26 -0500, David Kilpatrick
wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

[...]

The Editorial offices are in Los Angeles, California so yes it is
published in the US by Werner Publishing. Their website is at:
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/ I couldn't tell you what if any
association they may have with the other magazines you mentioned, thier
website might have something on the magazines history.