350D, D70s, lenses - Need inspiration

Old August 31st 05, 07:58 AM

I reckon they should make an SLR with a fixed lens and say 128Mb of
memory built in. USB 2.0 transfer. That would satisfy the needs of
those who don't want to upgrade.

T.

Old August 31st 05, 09:35 AM

Unfortunately I'm on the same rollercoaster as you guys...

DSLR, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, flash, mem cards, masses of NiMh batts,
you name it.

I'm going back to P&S.

T.

Old August 31st 05, 10:58 AM
Geoff

Brian Baird wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:11:01 +0100, Geoff
wrote:

As for getting more equipment like an external card reader and better,
faster zooms - I simply cannot afford it.

Never say never - you might find something more affordable
second-hand.

Al

And external CF card readers can be had for about $12.

Even my firewire reader didn't cost me more than $18.

True, I could go second hand. The USB speed isn't a big issue anyway but
it's nice to know I'll have the option of a card reader if it bothers me
too much. I have wondered about 2nd hand lenses because I had one before
and it was fine. I certainly wouldn't go for a 2nd hand camera but when
I come to buying a second lens, I will look for something 2nd hand first.

Geoff.
Old August 31st 05, 11:09 AM
Geoff

Rox-off wrote:

In article ,
says...

For now I'm more inclined to get the Nikon but I have some questions for
anyone who's experienced both cameras...

1) Is the extra noise of the Nikon due to it not having a CMOS sensor
and lower pixels very noticeable or not really worth taking into
consideration with the comparison?

The "noise" from a Nikon is easily removed using a number of different
programs available on the net, notably Neat Image. Unlike the Nikon
where you have the option to decide just how much noise reduction you
want, the Canon uses in-camera algorithms to remove the noise (at the
expense of detail).

2) How obvious is it that the Canon isn't so well made as the Nikon?

Don't get me started! I would never buy a Canon consumer grade DSLR
again. Some people like them, but you are right..they do look like toys.

3) The Nikon's USB transfer isn't full speed - Does this really notice
very much and does it bother anyone other than being just a slight
annoyance?

Buy a card reader. A lot easier than connecting and disconnecting the
camera all the time.

4) I've read about the Nikon's good system for keeping focused on moving
objects. That's one of the main things I want from a camera, so I'm
wondering if this system is a lot better than whatever focusing system
Canon uses?

Can't comment on the 350D, but the D70 even prior to the firmware
upgrade was pretty good (a *lot* better than the EOS D60 I had before
it).

Ok, that's the cameras sorted out but now for the lenses. Assume for now
that I go for the Nikon D70s. I can get that with the 18-70mm kit lens,
which I think I'd probably do. Although I want fast focusing, that's
more for a larger zoom so up to 70mm I'm not too worried. For the larger
lens I'd like to get a 70-300mm. I've looked at many options but reviews
don't say much about focus speed, although some people comment that
focusing is slow on most the cheaper lenses. Oh one important point-I
can't spend more than about 850GBP in total, so that means 220GBP for
the 70-300mm lens, but I can go a little higher if need be by holding
off buying it for a short time. I'm not in the market for anything too
fancy though.

The Nikkor 18-70mm DX lens is awesome! It is very sharp for a kit lens
and extremely good value for money.

Some lenses I'm looking at a

Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG

You'll be disappointed with those.

I've also thought about other options such as getting the Tamron AF
18-200mm XR DI II LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO f3.5-6.3, then a 2X
teleconverter. Even that is also said to have slow focus though, and as
that's what I particularly want I'm put off many of these lenses. The
only lens I've seen where the focus is said to be fast is the Canon
100-300mm, but I won't get into that at the moment as I think I'm more
likely going for the D70s.

If anyone can give me any inspiration in what to do here, I'd be very
grateful! I'm going nuts trying to work out the best and cheapest
options, without sacrificing quality too much.

Get a Nikon.

Thanks for your answers mate. I'm more and more definately going for the
Nikon now. The one thing remaining that leads me to wanting the Canon
instead is the lower pixels, but everyone reckons I won't even notice,
so I won't worry about that. Nikon it is then.

I'm not sure why it's easier to take a card out and put it in a card
reader by the way, compared to plugging the camera in? Not that it
matters, I'll have both options if I buy a card reader. With my current
camera I plug it in to the USB lead and it's recognised straight away. I
can't imagine anything being faster. I guess it helps to have USB
sockets on the front of the PC case.

You said I'll be disappointed with those 2 lenses I mentioned, which is
pretty much what I've read elsewhere too. I don't know what the best
option is going to be for a larger lens without spending a lot more. A
70-200mm has been suggested (I haven't looked at available options for
those yet) so maybe I'll go for that if I have to, but I'd rather have
higher zoom than that if possible. I guess I can't have it all for the
money I have.

Could you or anyone else suggest either a 70-200mm or 70-300mm lens
that's at least resonably good and has, above all else, fast focusing?
Sub 300GBP.

Cheers,
Geoff.
Old August 31st 05, 11:32 AM
David Geesaman

Geoff wrote:
I'm not sure why it's easier to take a card out and put it in a card
reader by the way, compared to plugging the camera in? Not that it
matters, I'll have both options if I buy a card reader. With my current
camera I plug it in to the USB lead and it's recognised straight away. I
can't imagine anything being faster. I guess it helps to have USB
sockets on the front of the PC case.

1) On my 300d, direct file copies take FOREVER. I know the D70 probably
moves faster, but the cameras are still generally pedestrian by
comparison. The card reader is FAST.

2) The card reader may stay attached, the camera can stay in the bag.
Once you have more than one CF card, you will appreciate the separateness.

3) You need no special software to plug it in and have it recognized.
At least for the Canon, you need to install their software first.

Dave
Old August 31st 05, 11:41 AM

That's a tough call.

As far as I've seen the Canon/Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and f4.0 lenses are
very expensive.

The f4.0 you might be able to stretch.

I personally went for the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and the 1.4x teleconverter.

Be advised these are heavy lenses... 1.4kg or so and the cameras are
usually only 700grams!

I also believe in f2.8 down to the normal lengths so I chose the 24-70
f2.8 also Sigma.

T.

Old August 31st 05, 12:22 PM

I also have to 'manage' multiple cameras with multiple types of cards
from CF, SD to XD.

I prefer card readers over the crap software that comes with the
camera.

I also find cards = film so I feel comfortable removing cards.

I don't like inserting plugs and 'hoping' the camera detects.

T.

Old August 31st 05, 01:42 PM
Pete D

wrote in message
oups.com...
Unfortunately I'm on the same rollercoaster as you guys...

DSLR, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, flash, mem cards, masses of NiMh batts,
you name it.

I'm going back to P&S.

T.

What fun will that be?