[SI] Symmetry - My Comments

Old March 2nd 05, 12:23 AM
Alan Browne

Default [SI] Symmetry - My Comments

As we progress, in the Northern Hemisphere (that one that counts) towards
spring, the number of phots in the SI is slowly emerging from the winter
doldrums...

With the symmetry mandate, a few interesting interpretations, so without further
ado... (and a couple days in the making...)

Al Denelsbeck http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250212

A play on a word and we have this rather dull colored image from our beloved and
somewhat absent admin. There is a certain unseen symmetry between the assumed
to be living above and the presumably dead below. This image emphasizes the
converging line composition leading to nowhere (which is certainly appropriate
to the subject as interpreted) to a point that is distracting. The multiple guy
wires in the back don't help at all.

Duncan Murray* http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250222

The most colorful and dynamic of the images in this collection of the SI. I
like many things about this image, beginning with the saturated blues and
yellow/gold/reds. The treatment of the environment certainly has many
symmetrical elements, and I bet a little more care would have led to near
perfection in this regard. The angels on the balustrade seeming to bless the
romantic couple, who are providing their own symmetry. Comments regarding the
placement of the camera noted and 'hooray' for the approach to the image. The
stones lit up this way provide a great foundation to the image and the action of
the couple. A slide film version of this could have been stunning.

Aaron Grier http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250223

Not sure that I agree on the notion that there is symmetry in this image. While
you could isolate individual bands for symmetry, here it is more about pattern
and repetition than symmetry. Looking top to bottom there is some notion of
depth presented on the left side, but ... what? You mention the 3 stop push
here, but I'm fuzzy on how or why that contributes in some way. Post scan, some
carefull use of USM could have made it look a little sharper. It is a striking
image in itself.

Graham Fountain http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250224

Definitely meets the mandate, but please post a warning, there may be young
butterflies watching this channel. The shot is a bit soft looking but I can'
tell if this is focus, scanning or subject movement related. Good compo, but I
believe if the 'eyes' on the wings of the b'fly at right should have been
brought out to further achieve the mandate. The placement of the wings is
really cool wrt symmetry, as is the diagonal placement of the insects. Pleasing
overall, but the exp. of the b'fly on the right is just too under.

Jim Kramer http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250225

A nice architectural detail shot that should (IMO) have been cropped tighter for
this mandate to emphasize the symmetry. Colors appear muted and overall the
image could have benefited from good use of USM. I like the 90° lighting as it
brings out the shape of the tower in a very pleasing way (and I was doing
something quite similar on Sat evening).

Bowser http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250226

I won't mention the glaring boo-boo here but go on as if it wasn't there (and
I've seen the same in National Geographic, in any case.) The symmetry here is
oddly disturbed by Bowser's choice of a wide angle shot tilted up with respect
to the bridge. That, coupled with the shaddow lines disguises the symmetry of
the subject somewhat, but this makes it a very interesting photo. The 'bowl'
horizon effect here is not too displeasing as the bridge soaks up most of our
attention. Tripod, more care to a perfectly centered and level (horizontal even
if tilted up) and the image would have been a little bit better. (It may be an
illusion but the image seems slightly tilted to the right). Enough already!
The colors/contrasts are nice, and the same in the fall as the leaves change
would be great, as would a post sunset shot. A wide angle shot like this might
not be a perfect candidate for a polarizer, but it's worth a try. One of the
best of this bunch, for sure.

Walt Hanks http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250227

Symmetry for sure, but otherwise not a very interesting shot (to me, anyway). I
did recognize the GT, but, yawn, eh. As a positive here, the elimination of
clutter is appreciated, it's hard to achieve at a car show. Even the reflected
spotlights work, esp. in this mandate. The reflection in the lifted rear window
(I assume that's what it is) is a negative.

Alan Browne* http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250228

I guess I'll just have to get a digital camera to reduce my resistance to the
mandates. I had no opportunity during the mandate to work on it. I could have
done all manner of table top examples and possibly have done something clever...
but I'm not that inspired to do that these days. Cry me a river. This shot is
from a vacation tour through Nova Scotia last summer with the requisite stop at
Peggy's Cove (where I've visited many times in the past and taken photos).
During this vacation we were intensely protected from the sun almost every day.
I ended up shooting about 6 rolls where 15-20 were planned.

Bob Hickey http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250229

Aside from the Bob Hickey tradition of poor quality scans, his shot is among the
top three for me in this mandate. The mandate is squarely met in the most
clever of folded fashion. Great Eye Bob. The tonal range also catches my eye
and I would bet a good scan would improve on that as well. Watch the cropping.

Brian Baird* http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40274353

Great attempt. What hurts this is the near perfect verticality of the pole.
There are some streaks at the top that may indicate a sensor dirt problem (maybe
not). The exposure seems under (favoring the bright background). Placement
of the subject way off center is good. Near abstract.

Tom Hudson http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40274354

Good start. Figure studies can be done near a wide open window as the light
source, without artificial lighting. More important here would be greater
subject/background separation and having the lighting source further away to
improve the lighting range in the scene. It is far too high here). A painters
tarp would be a better floor piece and really let it get disturbed.
(Here is one of my earlier attempts at a similar subject:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/25049065 I too had the model too close to the
background which was a white sheet that I was too lazy to iron first).

Paul Bielec* http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40291949

While meeting the symmetry mandate head on and providing many guide lines for
the eye to follow, the lack of color punch takes down this shot (who am I to
talk?) One neat thing here is the converging lines onto a point almost dead
center of the image and level with the camera (in contrast to Bowser's tilted up
treatment. There is no subject at the convergence to hold out attention,
however. Little details like the bridge approaches and the water movement break
up the symmetry ever so slightly, but don't distract too much, so in the end
enhance the overall. I'd try this again when the sky is bright blue and
reflecting off the water (low wind). Oł est ce pont, Paul?

Cheers,
Alan

Old March 2nd 05, 12:57 AM
Paul Bielec

Al
Paul Bielec* http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40291949

While meeting the symmetry mandate head on and providing many guide
lines for the eye to follow, the lack of color punch takes down this
shot (who am I to talk?) One neat thing here is the converging lines
onto a point almost dead center of the image and level with the camera
(in contrast to Bowser's tilted up treatment. There is no subject at
the convergence to hold out attention, however. Little details like the
bridge approaches and the water movement break up the symmetry ever so
slightly, but don't distract too much, so in the end enhance the
overall. I'd try this again when the sky is bright blue and reflecting
off the water (low wind). Oł est ce pont, Paul?

Cheers,
Alan

The bridge is located in Chicoutimi. Not very far from where I took my
vivid shot. I like this shot, and some other shots from Saguenay, a lot.
If I have a chance, I'd like to take it again next summer with better
lighting.
Meanwhile, I might try to add some yellow to improve the colors.
If I have time, I'll try to post some of the remaining images when I get
home.
Old March 2nd 05, 01:07 AM
Walt Hanks

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..
Walt Hanks http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250227

Symmetry for sure, but otherwise not a very interesting shot (to me,
anyway). I
did recognize the GT, but, yawn, eh. As a positive here, the elimination
of clutter is appreciated, it's hard to achieve at a car show. Even the
reflected
spotlights work, esp. in this mandate. The reflection in the lifted rear
window
(I assume that's what it is) is a negative.

Tsk, tsk, Alan. You almost qualified as a automotive gear head by
recognizing the car, but that's the hood to the engine compartment you see,
not a rear window. This car is a mid-engine design. It barely has a rear
window.

I thought about spending hours hunched over the computer slowly getting rid
of the reflection in PS, but only briefly. It would have been more than
"minor" digital manipulation and would have been more work than it was
worth.

Thanks for the comments though.

Walt

Old March 2nd 05, 02:24 AM
Brian C. Baird

says...
Brian Baird*
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40274353

Great attempt. What hurts this is the near perfect verticality of the pole.

I wasn't going to bend the 'No Swimming' sign for art. Vandalism...
maybe. For art, no.

There are some streaks at the top that may indicate a sensor dirt problem (maybe
not). The exposure seems under (favoring the bright background). Placement
of the subject way off center is good. Near abstract.

Those are ripples in the water.

I did have a photo with some black marks on it a while back. Upon
closer inspection, they were flies. Stupid low-noise sensors!

Thanks for the comments.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Old March 2nd 05, 02:25 AM
Alan Browne

Walt Hanks wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..

Walt Hanks http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40250227

Symmetry for sure, but otherwise not a very interesting shot (to me,
anyway). I
did recognize the GT, but, yawn, eh. As a positive here, the elimination
of clutter is appreciated, it's hard to achieve at a car show. Even the
reflected
spotlights work, esp. in this mandate. The reflection in the lifted rear
window
(I assume that's what it is) is a negative.

Tsk, tsk, Alan. You almost qualified as a automotive gear head by
recognizing the car, but that's the hood to the engine compartment you see,
not a rear window. This car is a mid-engine design. It barely has a rear
window.

I assumed that it was a large window on a slant and part of the engine
cover assy.

If I don't qualify as an automotive gearhead, I'm quite content,
althought the new GT is an exciting looking car, I don't get excited
about cars at all.

I do get excited by driving... Today I had an old fart (60-70ish)
illegally turn at a red light into oncoming downhill traffic (me) in
*very* slippery condidions (snow/slush/ice at -3C). He right turned on
his red light and _directly_ crossed two other lanes to cut into mine,
slowly accelerating. Perplexing as he had loads of time to do enter the
right lane and merge into the leftmost lane over the next 500 meters to
the left turn he wanted to make... I was trapped behind him on that
next turn to an onramp to a highway, where again, on the service road he
he cut immediately to the left most lane, forcing a large truck to brake
severely... He looked perplexed and lost... then, same highway, a kid
cut right to left (lane change) in front of me forcing me to brake to
avoid him while I had a pickup truck riding my ass.

I thought about spending hours hunched over the computer slowly getting rid
of the reflection in PS, but only briefly. It would have been more than
"minor" digital manipulation and would have been more work than it was
worth.

Well, it would be worth a lot of derision...

Cheers,
Alan.

Old March 2nd 05, 02:28 AM
Brian C. Baird

In article ,= 20
says...
Paul Bielec*
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/40291949
=20
While meeting the symmetry mandate head on and providing many guide lines=

for=20
the eye to follow, the lack of color punch takes down this shot (who am I=

to=20
talk?) One neat thing here is the converging lines onto a point almost d=

ead=20
center of the image and level with the camera (in contrast to Bowser's ti=

lted up=20
treatment. There is no subject at the convergence to hold out attention,=

=20
however. Little details like the bridge approaches and the water movemen=

t break=20
up the symmetry ever so slightly, but don't distract too much, so in the =

end=20
enhance the overall. I'd try this again when the sky is bright blue and=

=20
reflecting off the water (low wind). O=F9 est ce pont, Paul?

The way I'd shoot it:

I'd compose the shot so the water and sky aren't showing, choosing only=20
to focus on the pylons and underside of the bridge. Shoot B&W - flip=20
photo upside down & frame. Make up some story about the vertical lines=20
showing the prison walls of man. Drink wine and accept critical praise.

For extra fun, I'd try a long, fast (f/2.8) lens and futz with the=20
narrow depth of field.
--=20
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Old March 2nd 05, 03:14 AM
Walt Hanks

[...]

Sounds way too familiar. Do yourself a favor and NEVER drive in Maryland or
DC after any amount of snow has fallen. I would say that the behavior of
the locals was comical, except I have to go out there and drive with them!

My favorite was the woman who took a right offramp from the far left lane of
a 4-lane freeway, traveling about 65 mph, while talking on her cell AND
doing her make-up. I have the image of that particular bronze Lexus LS 430
forever in my brain. How we didn't all end up as twisted metal is beyond my
comprehension.

Walt