Panasonic FZ3 and FZ20

Old January 1st 05, 10:32 PM
Tony

Default Panasonic FZ3 and FZ20

I'm trying to decide between these cameras. I can find the difference in
spec (and experience the difference in size and weight) easily enough but I
am interested in image quality. The pics I see on review sites seem pretty
good from both cameras but they mostly seem to be taken in bright light.
Anyone got any pictures from either of these cameras taken at 200 ASA, which
is what I seem to need quite often? I'd also be very interested to hear
comments from anyone who has tried both.

Obviously the FZ20 will be better at long zoom because of the larger
aperture, but the pics where I run out of light usually seem to be more at
the wide angle end.

--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen

Old January 2nd 05, 01:40 AM
Ken

"Tony" wrote in message ...
I'm trying to decide between these cameras. I can find the difference in
spec (and experience the difference in size and weight) easily enough but I
am interested in image quality. The pics I see on review sites seem pretty
good from both cameras but they mostly seem to be taken in bright light.
Anyone got any pictures from either of these cameras taken at 200 ASA, which
is what I seem to need quite often? I'd also be very interested to hear
comments from anyone who has tried both.

Obviously the FZ20 will be better at long zoom because of the larger
aperture, but the pics where I run out of light usually seem to be more at
the wide angle end.

There are a couple of review forums where owners of both cameras often post
pictures. They often will detail the camera settings used to take the shots so you
can get a feel for the camera's capabilities for the types fo shots you plan to take
if you get one.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Personally I prefer the extra MP capacity of the FZ20 as well as the addition
of the Hot Shoe for adding a better flash unit than the one provided on-camera..

Old January 2nd 05, 09:59 AM
Bob Williams

Tony wrote:
I'm trying to decide between these cameras. I can find the difference in
spec (and experience the difference in size and weight) easily enough but I
am interested in image quality. The pics I see on review sites seem pretty
good from both cameras but they mostly seem to be taken in bright light.
Anyone got any pictures from either of these cameras taken at 200 ASA, which
is what I seem to need quite often? I'd also be very interested to hear
comments from anyone who has tried both.

Obviously the FZ20 will be better at long zoom because of the larger
aperture, but the pics where I run out of light usually seem to be more at
the wide angle end.

All of the Panasonic FZ series cameras have an aperture of f 2.8 over
the entire zoom range!
That is quite an achievement.
The FZ15 should also be a contender, 4MP and about $100 cheaper than the
FZ20.
Bob Williams

Old January 2nd 05, 10:28 AM
David J Taylor

Tony wrote:
I'm trying to decide between these cameras. I can find the
difference in spec (and experience the difference in size and weight)
easily enough but I am interested in image quality. The pics I see
on review sites seem pretty good from both cameras but they mostly
seem to be taken in bright light. Anyone got any pictures from either
of these cameras taken at 200 ASA, which is what I seem to need quite
often? I'd also be very interested to hear comments from anyone who
has tried both.
Obviously the FZ20 will be better at long zoom because of the larger
aperture, but the pics where I run out of light usually seem to be
more at the wide angle end.

You might also want to ask this in the new newsgroup:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

(I only have the FZ20)

Cheers,
David

Old January 2nd 05, 11:14 AM
Bruce Graham

In article , news-reply@t-
onywoolf.co.uk says...
I'm trying to decide between these cameras. I can find the difference in
spec (and experience the difference in size and weight) easily enough but I
am interested in image quality. The pics I see on review sites seem pretty
good from both cameras but they mostly seem to be taken in bright light.
Anyone got any pictures from either of these cameras taken at 200 ASA, which
is what I seem to need quite often? I'd also be very interested to hear
comments from anyone who has tried both.

Obviously the FZ20 will be better at long zoom because of the larger
aperture, but the pics where I run out of light usually seem to be more at
the wide angle end.

my reading of the spec for the FZ3 cf. FZ20 is that the small
physical size for the FZ3 is obtained mainly by a significantly smaller
sensor than in the FZ20. That is offset pretty much by fewer pixels on
the FZ3, so if all else was equal (never true, but might be more or less
true given the Venus II family heritage) the 100% crop noise performance
of the two cameras might be similar, but a downsampling of the FZ20 image
to the FZ3 resolution would be better than than the straight FZ3. This
is all armchair speculation on my part and I would be interested in real
comparison data also.

I think dpreview.com has higher ISO samples for both cameras. I've
looked at so much I'm pretty confused now.
Old January 2nd 05, 11:30 AM
Ira Perman via PhotoKB.com

I am not familiar with the FZ3, but I have been enjoying a new FZ20 this week - and loving everything about it. This camera is designed to make it simple to get difficult shots: Fast motion, distant objects, low light. I've owned about six digitals cameras and this one is a dream come true. The long 12x-f2.8 Leica lens matched with image stabilization, almost no lag shutter, rapid infinite burst, optional manual mode and controls, great menu and button layout, good design and construction and a battery that just won't quit (i got 12,420 shots out of a single charge) make this a reliable "got-the-shot" camera. There are plenty of reviews on the net about it - all strongly positive.

Old January 2nd 05, 11:30 AM
Ira Perman via PhotoKB.com