Some More Feeder Shots

Old July 24th 16, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Some More Feeder Shots

On 2016-07-24 21:48:59 +0000, Mort said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I rent an apartment in a condo complex
where it is forbidden to put up bird feeders or anything else outside.
As a non-owner, I have no standing to complain.

That last part is probably true, and I don't know which state you live
in, but you might have the first part wrong. If you are renting a
condo from the owner of that condo, and not an apartment, there is
probably a patio or balcony, and that would be an exclusive use common
area. Condo communities don't allow owners to place anything at all in
the common areas, and that might be the restriction you are referring
to. The patios are a different issue, and there would have to be an
explicit restriction on bird feeders anywhere in the community, not
just the common areas. That would be an unusual restriction, and one
I've never heard of. (Feeding pigeons is another matter entirely.)

Managing HOA's is what I did for a living - second career - but it
was in Nevada. Things vary from state to state, so I might be wrong
about everything.
Old July 25th 16, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:
Well when it comes to a small discrete window feeder which your
neighbors are not likely to see, it might be simpler to as for
forgiveness if discovered, than permission before the act.
...and it might not come to that, unless you have a group of rule driven
micro-managers among your condo-association members.

Good suggestion, thanks.I will try that.

I not only appreciate all your helpful posts and advice, but I must add
that you are a perfect gentleman. Well done.

Mort
Old July 25th 16, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Bill W wrote:
On 2016-07-24 21:48:59 +0000, Mort said:

[...]

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

Mort
Old July 25th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 7/24/2016 12:57 PM, Mort wrote:
Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 21:00:57 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

It's a good thing that Michael Bloomberg is not in charge where you
are.

Hi,

We currently have a severe epidemic of adult type diabetes in young
children,caused mainly by obesity and excessive ingestion of sugars.
After 20 years or so, many of these young people will develop
blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, strokes, and leg
amputations. This is a serious and rapidly progressing problem, and
not a suitable subject for political jokes.

As an example, a small can of Coca-Cola has about 7 teaspoons of
sugar, but marked in grams, which most Americans do not understand.

In plain words, too much sugar cripples and kills.

Mort Linder

Too much sugar is definitely not good for anyone. But it is not Michael
Bloomberg's nor any other politician's business to tell someone how big
of a soda they can purchase.

Not everyone will get diabetes, there are other factors than just sugar
intake. Family history plays a large part in that. There is diabetes
on my mother's side. Most of y cousins have type 2 Diabetes as well as
my mother's two sisters and her brother. My mother is on the border. I
was diagnosed with it when I was 38 years old. Drinking lots of
Coca-Cola didn't help. For diabetics, it's not just sugar - it's all
carbohydrates of which sugar is one. Case in point: a bagel is one of
the worse things a diabetic could eat. There are more carbohydrates in
a bagel than in a can of soda. But the sugar in the soda will
metabolize into the blood faster than the non-sugar carbs in a bagel.
But eating a bagel will keep a diabetic's sugar count high for a long time.

Old July 25th 16, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 7/24/2016 6:27 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 17:16:57 -0400, Mort wrote:

Tony Cooper wrote:
The other poster was yours truly who thought your jocular reference to
my jocular reference to Bloomberg was a bit stick-up-the-assish.

I suggest that you visit a Pediatric ward in a hospital where young
bodies are devastated by the effects of obesity and excess sugar.

We obviously see things differently, one from the other.

No, we probably don't. Bloomberg's efforts were a joke. All he did
was illegally attempt to ban the sale of a certain container sizes of
sugary beverages. If enforced, all it would do was reduce the
consumption in a single serving. It did not affect the number of
servings or the availability of the products. It did not affect all
types of sugary beverages.

Further, the attempt affected only certain types of outlets for soft
drinks. They were not even the outlets where most soft drink
purchases are made. Convenience stores were not affected by the
"law".

The law also would have had an adverse affect on people like myself who
drink sugar-free sodas - we would have to use the same size-limited
containers when we bought our sodas.

Good intentions, and a worthy cause, but advanced in an ill-conceived
plan with obvious gaps in coverage - as this was - are of no benefit
to anyone.

From now on, my posts shall be strictly about photography and nothing
else.

Anyone who thinks that comments about restricting sugar availability
to hummingbirds are offered in a serious vein should restrict their
posting.

Old July 25th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 7/24/2016 3:24 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
wrote:

It's a good thing that Michael Bloomberg is not in charge where you
are.

Hi,

We currently have a severe epidemic of adult type diabetes in young
children,caused mainly by obesity and excessive ingestion of sugars.

Statistics please.

After 20 years or so, many of these young people will develop blindness,
kidney failure, heart attacks, strokes, and leg amputations. This is a
serious and rapidly progressing problem, and not a suitable subject for
political jokes.

And the reaction of people like you to humorous remarks about sugar bans
makes your cause look ridiculous.

As an example, a small can of Coca-Cola has about 7 teaspoons of sugar,
but marked in grams, which most Americans do not understand.

If you want quantities marked in teaspoons, take that up with the
government. You'll meet with a great deal of resistance from the pro-
metrication contingent who want to save us from the evils of the English
system.

In plain words, too much sugar cripples and kills.

So why didn't it cripple and kill our parents and grandparents and great
granparents? Are you laboring under the misconception that sugar is
something that was invented in the last 20 years?

Maybe it was the use of high-fructose corn syrup in place of sugar that
has caused the high amount of type 2 Diabetes in adults. Some studies
say there is no correlation but on the face of it, the increase in
incidences of it coincide with the introduction of corn syrup into products.