Mr. Knoppow... or...

Old February 24th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Mr. Knoppow... or...

"Charles Hohenstein" wrote in message
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:
I'm blushing!!!

I agree. I just wish that you were active on APUG.

APUG is an inbred clique of a dozen or so people. They hate expertise
outside of their domain. I am very happy Richard is 'out there' (which is
here) for the Rest of Us.

Old February 24th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
____

In article , jjs wrote:

"Charles Hohenstein" wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:
I'm blushing!!!

I agree. I just wish that you were active on APUG.

APUG is an inbred clique of a dozen or so people. They hate expertise
outside of their domain. I am very happy Richard is 'out there' (which is
here) for the Rest of Us.

So why did they kick you out?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old February 24th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_12_]

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:07:13 -0600, jjs wrote:

APUG is an inbred clique of a dozen or so people. They hate expertise
outside of their domain. I am very happy Richard is 'out there' (which is
here) for the Rest of Us.

I agree to some extent. I think APUG is OK just as Puresilver is as
well, but I'd rather see the contributors come back out and play in
the yard with the rest of us.

JD
Old February 24th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
____

In article ,
John wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:07:13 -0600, jjs wrote:

APUG is an inbred clique of a dozen or so people. They hate expertise
outside of their domain. I am very happy Richard is 'out there' (which is
here) for the Rest of Us.

I agree to some extent. I think APUG is OK just as Puresilver is as
well, but I'd rather see the contributors come back out and play in
the yard with the rest of us.

JD

Users?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old February 24th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Charles Hohenstein"
wrote in message
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

"Ken Hart" wrote in message

"AAvK" wrote in message

Richard! So sorry for being so late, but it dawned on
me
to thank you very much for
your great and terrific help and for the sharing of
knowledge, awesome kindness.

Thank you, very very much!

Richard K. has been a great help and a fountain of
knowledge for many people here. IMHO, he is not thanked
nearly enough! My life goal is meet him in person some
day
and see the room (cavern?) where he keeps his reference
material.

I'm blushing!!!

I agree. I just wish that you were active on APUG.

I think I am actually registered there but there are
now so many web based groups that its hard to keep up with
them. At one time most of the people at apug and on the
Graflex.org sites were active on the Usenet groups. I will
have to start checking apug again.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 25th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_12_]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:47:15 -0800, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

I agree. I just wish that you were active on APUG.

I think I am actually registered there but there are
now so many web based groups that its hard to keep up with
them. At one time most of the people at apug and on the
Graflex.org sites were active on the Usenet groups. I will
have to start checking apug again.

Microsoft is evidently disaconnecting some of their servers from the
USENET and telling the people that post in those groups that they will
have to migrate to their new forums as the current groups are being
shut down. How ridiculous ! As if eve MS could shut down a grap !

JD
Old February 25th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 2/25/2008 4:26 AM John spake thus:

wrote:

I agree. I just wish that you were active on APUG.

I think I am actually registered there but there are
now so many web based groups that its hard to keep up with
them. At one time most of the people at apug and on the
Graflex.org sites were active on the Usenet groups. I will
have to start checking apug again.

Microsoft is evidently disaconnecting some of their servers from the
USENET and telling the people that post in those groups that they will
have to migrate to their new forums as the current groups are being
shut down. How ridiculous ! As if eve MS could shut down a grap !

Where did you hear that? I just checked microsoft.public.excel.misc,
which is still "on the air" and has up-to-the-minute posts on it. Which
groups did you hear were going to be taken down?

By the way, in case people don't know, these newsgroups that Microsoft
maintains are (surprisingly) *excellent* sources of information and help
with their software. They're on news.microsoft.com.

Old February 27th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_12_]

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:19:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Microsoft is evidently disaconnecting some of their servers from the
USENET and telling the people that post in those groups that they will
have to migrate to their new forums as the current groups are being
shut down. How ridiculous ! As if eve MS could shut down a grap !

Where did you hear that? I just checked microsoft.public.excel.misc,
which is still "on the air" and has up-to-the-minute posts on it. Which
groups did you hear were going to be taken down?

By the way, in case people don't know, these newsgroups that Microsoft
maintains are (surprisingly) *excellent* sources of information and help
with their software. They're on news.microsoft.com.

Perhaps I should have said "at least one of their groups" however
knowing Micosoft and companies like them, they usually enact policies
that effect broader ranges than just one group. Here's something I
posted to the Expression Web group which is the newsgroup for
Microsofts Expression Web editor. The subject (Subject: Newsgroup
continuation) is somewhat explanatory and this thread was a second
response to a post by one of the MVP's that stated

"Hi folks,

Most of you already know that Microsoft has created a new community
forum
center for the Expression programs he

http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-us/Forums/

As a result our newsgroup will be closing in roughly a week from now.

The forums are very nice but I'm going to miss our newsgroup!
--
Annie"

And of course one of my responses was :

From: John
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.expression.webdesigner
Subject: Newsgroup continuation
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:07:11 -0600

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:11:06 -0500, "Steve Easton"
wrote:

I understand that MSFT doesn't control Usenet, but if MSFT deletes
microsoft.public.expression.webdesigner from it's servers it will cease to be accessible by Usenet.

While my previous reply was somewhat insightful (inciteful ? ;) I
could have answered a little better. I'll take this by each conjecture
:
I understand that MSFT doesn't control Usenet

Thank God ! The last think the USENET needs is Microsoft steering it
around by the nose and deleting information and posts willy-nilly !

but if MSFT deletes
microsoft.public.expression.webdesigner from it's servers it will cease to be accessible by Usenet.

It's a two way street as with any server. We won't be able to access
their group from a NNTP access and they won't have access to the
millions of servers that make up the USENET. So who do you think is
going to loose more ?

Finally, I'd like to take a quick moment to address a few niggling
reasons I won't bother with a web-based forum if there is an
alternative I can access from my workstation.

Web-based forums exist soley at the behest of their host. This means
that Microsoft, Yahoo, AOL, et. al. can (and have !) pull the plug on
the server at any time and there will be no public record of the
information that was recorded in said forum.

Web-based forums are generally moderated and such moderation is
invariablty discriminatory. Of course this can be both good and bad
but I tend to look upon it as unnecessary at best and destructive at
worst. Just speaking from my experiences.

Web-based forums are rarely durable. For instance one motorcycling
forum I regularly attend had their database so corrupted by a server
problem that they had to delete about half the information in it just
to get it working again. Of course they attempted to reload from
backups but all efforts were less than 100% successful and took nearly
8 weeks for some semblence of functionality to return.

Web-based forums are rarely easy to search through. Heck, for a good
example of Microsofts capabilities in this area, just look at MSN.com
! But with a NNTP client such as Forte Agent I can run a query on my
local system and copy results out to a file or respond to the forum or
channel of my choosing.

Finally, I find it somewhat surprising and very disconcerting that
Microsoft is even considering pulling the NNTP access for the web
forum. I'm not one for conspiracy theories however I can't help but
believe that they have some agenda in doing so and that this agenda is
not in the least concerned with the interest of the consumer.

JD
Old February 27th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_12_]

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:12:05 -0800, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

I'm blushing!!!

So when 's the book going to be done ? Can I pre-order mine yet ?

JD
Old March 8th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
erie patsellis

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:
I'm blushing!!!

I agree. I just wish that you were active on APUG.

APUG is an inbred clique of a dozen or so people. They hate expertise
outside of their domain. I am very happy Richard is 'out there' (which is
here) for the Rest of Us.

While we all know that this is an expensive hobby, I'd add that unless you spend $$$ on
your LF equipment, you'll feel out of place.

Heaven forbid you advocate using a Componon lens as a taking lens, you're likely to be run
out on rails. Building a camera? some will say it looks nice, but the general response
will be "yeah, but my Canham (or Wista, Sinar, Chaminox, etc) is more precise, blah, blah,
blah. Of course those of us who just can't afford Richard Ritter's new 20x24 camera, but
want to shoot ULF are heretics, how can it possibly be precise, etc. I could go on for
hours, but I'll bite my tongue and leave it at the majority of the people there are photo
elitists, and camera fondlers. (I do own a few Sinars, bought for far less then market
value (even today's very depressed prices) but enjoy my homebuilt cameras much more.)

My presence on APUG has diminished, and of all the forums, I spend more time on Nelsonfoto
more than anything these days.

erie