Besides me, how many folks in this NG are still using 35mm film?

Old October 13th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default Besides me, how many folks in this NG are still using 35mm film?

Pete wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, Geoff. It's been far too long since I used
them, however, I do remember that Rodinal could produce more acutance
or finer grain according to its dilution - very clever chemistry.

You're welcome.

Digital attempts to emulate this with sharpening, but I wish I had the
knowledge, energy and facilities to carry on exploring T-MAX film.

Attempts is a good word. Since the whole thing is done with interpolation,
(educated guessing) it's difficult. To inject a little bit of digital here,
the biggest problem with digital photography is that Foven signed an
exclusive license with Sigma. This stuck everyone else with a Bayer
sensor array. :-(

T-Max is a fine film, but it needs to be exposed and developed properly,
with it's limitations kept in mind. That's why it got such bad press when it
came out, everyone thought they could expose and develop it like any other
film they were using.

Some people (me being one) were successful with it, others were not.

A very long time ago I was asked to take some monochrome photos of a
band for their PR. I shot on both XP2 and T-MAX: the band preferred the
XP2 and I liked the T-MAX, I never will know why.

:-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
Old October 13th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-13 22:34:03 +0100, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

Pete wrote:
[...]

Indeed, to both points.

Some people (me being one) were successful with it, others were not.

A very long time ago I was asked to take some monochrome photos of a
band for their PR. I shot on both XP2 and T-MAX: the band preferred the
XP2 and I liked the T-MAX, I never will know why.

:-)

Thanks, now I finally know why: they were an excellent band, but I
didn't like their music so why should they have liked my preferred film
:-)

--
Pete

Old October 17th 10, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

shiva das wrote,on my timestamp of 15/10/2010 9:09 AM:

And yes, of course it is subjective to some extent, but D-76 is so much
better, demonstrably, than Rodinal (in terms of grain size, certainly)
that there's not much of an argument possible here. (Unless, of course,
on is actually going for grainy prints.)

Or one is using Rodinal in 1:100 dilution with low agitation. But of
course, you omitted that little detail from your peroration, didn't
you? Funny: I didn't.

Gee, I've been using Rodinal for about 40 years. I must make
"demonstratively" bad negatives. After all, "there's not much of an
argument possible here".

You mean you have been "ruining perfectly good film"?
Tsk,tsk, you bad, bad person!

Always astounding when people confuse "I don't like it" with "it is
bad". Personally I have never liked D-76. However I would never accuse
anyone of "ruin[ing] perfectly good film by using" it.

Ah, you see: there are "users". And there are "scammers".
The second class are the ones who come online and claim that this or that is
"better", without ever having used any other or any experience of with other
products.

Ah well: it's all "demonstrable", I guess...
Old October 22nd 10, 02:27 PM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickr2 View Post
Just curious.
When I get the film developed I'll get prints, negatives and the
photos on a CD. I've loaded photos from my digital camera onto my
PC and copied those files onto a CD for backup ... and maybe,
someday, I'll get some of them printed.

Still stuck on 35mm
Dick
I have chosen (I'm not at all "stuck") to remain on 35mm because:

!) I have a huge range of lenses for 35mm, based on Olympus OM

2) I have virtually the full range of OM TTL flash units

3) I have two OM4 bodies, some of the best 35mm film bodies ever made

4) Only recently have I obtained the Tamron SP 400mm f4 after waiting years for it. It goes with the 300mm f 2.8, various zooms and macros (including OM bellows 80mm, 38mm & 20 mm auto bellows), OM 35mm & 24mm shift lenses and Tamron SP down to ultra-wide angle zoom and primes.

5) I have an X-Pan with all the lenses. The format is stunning.

6) Digital does nothing extra I want to do and I just can't spare the time for all that fiddling around. The exception is to sometime set up my scanner for the trannies. I have little use for prints.

7) The cost of buying an equivalent kit for digital would cost a fortune.
Old October 22nd 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dickr2

Harold Gough wrote:
snip

[...]

Same here. But all my bodies and lenses are for the old Canon FD system.

Dick
Old October 24th 10, 03:16 PM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickr2 View Post
Harold Gough wrote:
snip

[...]

I started with an A1, from new, but, apart from a 50mm lens and a 20mm bellows lens, I started building up a collection of Adaptall-2 lenses. They work as well on the OM systems as on the FD. I have kept my FD adapters and also any Nikon, etc., ones which came attached to subsequently-purchased used Tamron lenses, in case I got tempted by Nikon bodies. I never got into dedicated flash (no TTL metering) with Canon, using Vivitar & Sunpack, still possible to use for manual flash with any camera body.

Last edited by Harold Gough : October 24th 10 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Old October 24th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dickr2

Harold Gough wrote:
snip

I started with an A1, from new, but, apart from a 50mm lens and a 20mm
bellows lens, I started building up a collection of Adaptall-2 lenses.
They work as well on the OM systems as on the FD. I have kept my FD
adapters and also any Nikon, etc., ones which came attached to
subsequently-purchased used Tamron lenses, in case I got tempted by
Nikon bodies. I never got into dedicated flash (no TTL metering) with
Canon, using Vivitar & Sunpack, still possible to use for manual flash
with any camera body.

Hi Harold,
I'm still using a pair of Canon A-1s and a Canon T70 that still works.
Lots of Canon lenses and also a 500mm mirror, a nice Tamron 28-70 and
a Vivitar Series 1 28-90.
I still grieve over my dearly departed Canon T90, the last Canon using
all the features later to be found on the EOS system. Coupled with the
300TL flash unit the possibilities were almost endless. Pre flash,
slow sync, etc. The T90 also had several metering modes and other
features that took me a while to learn. I still have the T90 but I can't
get it repaired and I can't bear to throw it away. I also have a pair of
300TL flash units with off camera connecting cords, but the 300TL doesn't
work with newer Canon cameras. :-(
So I'm back to the basics with the Canon A-1s. I have the 5fps motor drive
on one and a power winder on the other. If I want to travel lite, I'll
remove the power winder and attach the Tamron 28-70 lens.

Dick

Old October 24th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 10/24/2010 11:14 AM dickr2 spake thus:

I'm still using a pair of Canon A-1s and a Canon T70 that still works.
Lots of Canon lenses and also a 500mm mirror, a nice Tamron 28-70 and
a Vivitar Series 1 28-90.

My main "user" (apart from various "shelf queens" and other less
practical cameras) is my A-1, bought used years ago from eBay cheap, in
nearly perfect condition. Came with a FD 35-105 zoom which is what I use
the most. Also have the 50mm lens which I almost never use, a Vivitar
Series 1 100mm macro tele (*great* lens!), and a Canon FD 24mm wide-angle.

The 35-105 is the best mid-size zoom I've ever had (out of several),
especially in the distortion department: much less barrel/pincushion
distortion than my old 28-200 Tamron (Canon AE-1) or the 28-90 Vivitar
(Minolta XG-M). The Tamron was the worst.

Old October 24th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dickr2

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/24/2010 11:14 AM dickr2 spake thus:

I'm still using a pair of Canon A-1s and a Canon T70 that still works.
Lots of Canon lenses and also a 500mm mirror, a nice Tamron 28-70 and
a Vivitar Series 1 28-90.

My main "user" (apart from various "shelf queens" and other less
practical cameras) is my A-1, bought used years ago from eBay cheap, in
nearly perfect condition. Came with a FD 35-105 zoom which is what I use
the most. Also have the 50mm lens which I almost never use, a Vivitar
Series 1 100mm macro tele (*great* lens!), and a Canon FD 24mm wide-angle.

The 35-105 is the best mid-size zoom I've ever had (out of several),
especially in the distortion department: much less barrel/pincushion
distortion than my old 28-200 Tamron (Canon AE-1) or the 28-90 Vivitar
(Minolta XG-M). The Tamron was the worst.

Hi David,
I've purchased much of my camera equipment at local camera "swap" meets.
One of my A-1s was purchased from an older fellow who was a little bit
shaky and needed a camera with image stabilization. The camera looked
like new, but had the dreaded "shutter squeak". I found a fellow on line
who specialized in Canon A series cameras and he fixed the problem.
I also have the Canon 35-105, reportedly one of the best lenses Canon
made, and I should use it more often.
Too many cameras, too many lenses, it gets "confussing".
:-)
Dick