Bottom 20-percent D70s image dark

Old September 27th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

Default Bottom 20-percent D70s image dark

I have a D70s and recently encountered a problem whereby the bottom
20% of the frame of some shots were dark. What I did was I set the
camera on a tripod, set the self-timer and got the shot. I saw in the
LCD panel the darkened bottom and, leaving all settings the same, I
set the self-timer again and got another shot and then the pic came
out OK. Then the next shot was fine and then I saw the dark band at
the bottom again on the shot after that. No fingers and no lenses and
no filters and no hoods, etc. were in the way. And no flash was
used.

The camera had been sitting in a house (on a table instead of in a
closed camera bag) all day where the humidity reached 60%. I don't
know if that could have been a culprit or what.

Any insight on this?

Thanks.
Kevin

Old September 27th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article .com,
k-man wrote:

I have a D70s and recently encountered a problem whereby the bottom
20% of the frame of some shots were dark. What I did was I set the
camera on a tripod, set the self-timer and got the shot. I saw in the
LCD panel the darkened bottom and, leaving all settings the same, I
set the self-timer again and got another shot and then the pic came
out OK. Then the next shot was fine and then I saw the dark band at
the bottom again on the shot after that. No fingers and no lenses and
no filters and no hoods, etc. were in the way. And no flash was
used.

does this happen at all shutter speeds or certain ones? can you post
an example somewhere?
Old September 27th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 27 Sep, 13:34, k-man wrote:
I have a D70s and recently encountered a problem whereby the bottom
20% of the frame of some shots were dark. What I did was I set the
camera on a tripod, set the self-timer and got the shot. I saw in the
LCD panel the darkened bottom and, leaving all settings the same, I
set the self-timer again and got another shot and then the pic came
out OK. Then the next shot was fine and then I saw the dark band at
the bottom again on the shot after that. No fingers and no lenses and
no filters and no hoods, etc. were in the way. And no flash was
used.

The camera had been sitting in a house (on a table instead of in a
closed camera bag) all day where the humidity reached 60%. I don't
know if that could have been a culprit or what.

Any insight on this?

Thanks.
Kevin

Could be due to light leakage though the eyepiece, off the prism and
onto the sensor.
My D50 came with an eyepiece cap for just such shooting.

Doc

Old September 27th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

On Sep 27, 8:34 am, k-man wrote:
I have a D70s and recently encountered a problem whereby the bottom
20% of the frame of some shots were dark. What I did was I set the
camera on a tripod, set the self-timer and got the shot. I saw in the
LCD panel the darkened bottom and, leaving all settings the same, I
set the self-timer again and got another shot and then the pic came
out OK. Then the next shot was fine and then I saw the dark band at
the bottom again on the shot after that. No fingers and no lenses and
no filters and no hoods, etc. were in the way. And no flash was
used.

The camera had been sitting in a house (on a table instead of in a
closed camera bag) all day where the humidity reached 60%. I don't
know if that could have been a culprit or what.

Any insight on this?

Thanks.
Kevin

I posted example pics to:
http://bikeoften.com/photoproblem/

Old September 27th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

On Sep 27, 8:45 am, nospam wrote:
In article .com,

k-man wrote:
I have a D70s and recently encountered a problem whereby the bottom
20% of the frame of some shots were dark. What I did was I set the
camera on a tripod, set the self-timer and got the shot. I saw in the
LCD panel the darkened bottom and, leaving all settings the same, I
set the self-timer again and got another shot and then the pic came
out OK. Then the next shot was fine and then I saw the dark band at
the bottom again on the shot after that. No fingers and no lenses and
no filters and no hoods, etc. were in the way. And no flash was
used.

does this happen at all shutter speeds or certain ones? can you post
an example somewhere?

I don't know whether it happens on other shutter speeds. The problem
appeared on two pics yesterday and both were taken at ISO 200, 1s, f/
16, 12mm.

I posted pics to:

Old September 27th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

k-man wrote:

On Sep 27, 8:45 am, nospam wrote:

In article .com,

k-man wrote:

[...]

I believe the shutter moves the other direction so yeah, maybe the
mirror isn't locking up properly. Take the lens off & try a few shots at
multi-second exposures to see if it's jamming. I never heard of that
happening though it does look like a physical obstruction not a sensor
failure.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old September 27th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Richard J Kinch

k-man writes:

http://bikeoften.com/photoproblem/

The shape, position, and intermittent appearance suggests a mirror-flipping
problem.

Remember the image is upside down in the camera.
Old September 28th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
â–€Slack

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:38:55 -0700, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

k-man writes:

http://bikeoften.com/photoproblem/

The shape, position, and intermittent appearance suggests a
mirror-flipping
problem.

Remember the image is upside down in the camera.

That's exactly what it is; a sticky mirror.
--
Slack
Old September 28th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

On Sep 27, 1:38 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
k-man writes:
http://bikeoften.com/photoproblem/

The shape, position, and intermittent appearance suggests a mirror-flipping
problem.

Remember the image is upside down in the camera.

A mirror problem seems about right. I remember the camera sounding
funky during the shot. Something sounded prolonged and it was
probably the mirror taking too long to flip up. Through the black
band, you can still see part of the image, suggesting that the
obstruction was only in the way for part of the exposure.

I tried to replicate it last night but couldn't get it to do it again
-- WHICH IS A GOOD THING.

Thank you.
Kevin

Old September 28th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

wrote:

k-man writes:

http://bikeoften.com/photoproblem/

The shape, position, and intermittent appearance suggests a
mirror-flipping
problem.

Remember the image is upside down in the camera.

That's exactly what it is; a sticky mirror.
--
Slack

I agree. Thank you.

Kevin