Printer question: multipurpose vs. dedicated photo, fixed head vs.on-cartridge

Old July 19th 04, 03:28 AM
not really me

Default Printer question: multipurpose vs. dedicated photo, fixed head vs.on-cartridge

I've just picked up a digital point-and-shoot camera (Canon Powershot
A75) and am trying to decide on the best printer to go with it. For my
computer printing, I've been using a Lexmark Z11 for the past 5 years,
but it's color calibration isn't good enough for printing photos (as an
aside, is there software that can view a scan of the printed image,
compare it to the original and adjust the image as needed?). I'm just
looking to do some basic picture printing, nothing fancy, up to 8x10. I
don't anticipate needing slots in the printer to print directly from the
memory card, but I wouldn't mind being able to print directly from the
camera.

My questions are these:

1. I'm considering the HP PSC 1315xi multipurpose printer. For $100, I
can get a 6-ink, PictBridge printer along with a scanner (not that I
need another one, but my wife would appreciate being able to make copies
without using the computer). How does this compare to the Canon i860,
which appears to be one of the most recommended dedicated photo printer
in the $150 price range.

2. Having a Lexmark, I'm used to replacing my printhead with each
cartridge. Costs a bit more, but it's one less thing to go wrong with
the printer. I understand that HP similarly has it's printhead on the
cartridge, but Epson and Canon have the printhead built into the
printer. Am I better off choosing the HP because there's one less
built-in part to go bad? I reuse the cartridges on my Lexmark,
refilling them until the head eventually clogs (usually because I don't
refill it in time and run it dry). Should I be afraid to use refill ink
on a Canon for fear of ruining the printhead?

Any thoughts / suggestions are appreciated.