Turn off all virus-scanning software

Old October 20th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
scenic_man[_2_]

Default Turn off all virus-scanning software

I was on the nikonusa.com site a few mintues ago,
looking for a part for my SB-600 flash,
and wandered into the download section.
There was an interesting-looking product available for trial.
However, prominently displayed was the following:
"Turn off all virus-scanning software (...) before proceeding with this
installation."

I see have seen this sort of thing from time to time over the past several
years, and always wondered ...
Why would anyone want to (or be required to by the installation procedure)
turn off virus protection at the very moment when they are most likely
to be installing a virus?

I realize that this is not specific to dSLRs. It just happened to come up ...
Old October 20th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

scenic_man wrote:
I was on the nikonusa.com site a few mintues ago,
looking for a part for my SB-600 flash,
and wandered into the download section.
There was an interesting-looking product available for trial.
However, prominently displayed was the following:
"Turn off all virus-scanning software (...) before proceeding with
this installation."

I see have seen this sort of thing from time to time over the past
several years, and always wondered ...
Why would anyone want to (or be required to by the installation
procedure) turn off virus protection at the very moment when they are
most likely to be installing a virus?

I realize that this is not specific to dSLRs. It just happened to
come up ...

What happens is that the anti-virus may monitor changes in such a way that
it prevents the installation from working. For example, preventing any
writing to C:\Program Files\. I haven't seen this with either CA's eTrust
AV nor with AVG.

My suggestion: try the install with the AV software enabled, and only
consider disabling if it fails. I would only ever do this if I had
complete trust in the site from which I got the software.

Cheers,
David

Old October 20th 07, 09:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D_Mac

On Oct 20, 1:35 pm, scenic_man wrote:
I was on the nikonusa.com site a few mintues ago,
looking for a part for my SB-600 flash,
and wandered into the download section.
There was an interesting-looking product available for trial.
However, prominently displayed was the following:
"Turn off all virus-scanning software (...) before proceeding with this
installation."

I see have seen this sort of thing from time to time over the past several
years, and always wondered ...
Why would anyone want to (or be required to by the installation procedure)
turn off virus protection at the very moment when they are most likely
to be installing a virus?

I realize that this is not specific to dSLRs. It just happened to come up ...

The problem is, some programs ingrain themselves into the OS in
similar ways to what a virus does. Programmers shouldn't use virus
technology to make their software work and blindly expect you to trust
them.

Old October 20th 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
KGB

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 03:35:34 GMT, scenic_man
wrote:

I was on the nikonusa.com site a few mintues ago,
looking for a part for my SB-600 flash,
and wandered into the download section.
There was an interesting-looking product available for trial.
However, prominently displayed was the following:
"Turn off all virus-scanning software (...) before proceeding with this
installation."

I see have seen this sort of thing from time to time over the past several
years, and always wondered ...
Why would anyone want to (or be required to by the installation procedure)
turn off virus protection at the very moment when they are most likely
to be installing a virus?

I realize that this is not specific to dSLRs. It just happened to come up ...

Hi

Why can't you download the file to your PC, do a virus scan, THEN turn
off the AV software and install it?

Regards
KGB

Old October 20th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article aIeSi.45$BX2.19@trndny09, scenic_man
wrote:

I was on the nikonusa.com site a few mintues ago,
looking for a part for my SB-600 flash,
and wandered into the download section.
There was an interesting-looking product available for trial.
However, prominently displayed was the following:
"Turn off all virus-scanning software (...) before proceeding with this
installation."

I see have seen this sort of thing from time to time over the past several
years, and always wondered ...
Why would anyone want to (or be required to by the installation procedure)
turn off virus protection at the very moment when they are most likely
to be installing a virus?

It is wise to disable AV software when installing any software.

Old October 20th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article op.t0ijr2agf3vmig@slacker, ?Slack
wrote:

It is wise to disable AV software when installing any software.

ROTFLMAO

Find that humorous do you?

I've seen cases where the AV software thought some component that was
being installed was a virus and blocked it from installation, therefore
rendering the installed program either non-functional or buggy.

But I really don't give a ****...we Mac people have no need for
AV/anti-spyware software.
Old October 21st 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

scenic_man wrote:
"Turn off all virus-scanning software (...) before proceeding with this
installation."

I see have seen this sort of thing from time to time over the past several
years, and always wondered ...
Why would anyone want to (or be required to by the installation procedure)
turn off virus protection at the very moment when they are most likely
to be installing a virus?

a) because you are going to install a virus.
b) because some AV software mistakenly thinks you are going
to install a virus.
c) because AV software can interfere with the install.

-Wolfgang
Old October 21st 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
â–€Slack

wrote:

It is wise to disable AV software when installing any software.

ROTFLMAO

Find that humorous do you?

I've seen cases where the AV software thought some component that was
being installed was a virus and blocked it from installation, therefore
rendering the installed program either non-functional or buggy.

But I really don't give a ****...we Mac people have no need for
AV/anti-spyware software.

I didn't intend to get your panties in twist, so sorry. But I do want to
thank you
for you AV comment; yes, it was funny as hell.
--
Slack
Old October 21st 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 03:35:34 GMT, scenic_man wrote:

I was on the nikonusa.com site a few mintues ago,
looking for a part for my SB-600 flash,
and wandered into the download section.
There was an interesting-looking product available for trial.
However, prominently displayed was the following:
"Turn off all virus-scanning software (...) before proceeding with this
installation."

I see have seen this sort of thing from time to time over the past several
years, and always wondered ...
Why would anyone want to (or be required to by the installation procedure)
turn off virus protection at the very moment when they are most likely
to be installing a virus?

I realize that this is not specific to dSLRs. It just happened to come up ...

I have NEVER turned off the virus software, and never had a problem... They
think the virus software will stop the install, but I think virus software is
smarter than that... it would probably warn you. I'd be more wary of firewalls.

Try it...

Scanning Software (VueScan and Silverfast) Steve Hodgson Digital Photography 3 July 17th 07 02:51 AM
virus Miles Digital Photography 11 March 4th 07 04:43 PM
No Mac Virus? Ha. rafe b Digital Photography 84 February 27th 06 05:27 PM
Scanning Software [email protected] Digital Photography 6 April 28th 05 11:46 AM
scanning and editing software? Bubba Digital Photography 5 November 7th 04 04:43 PM