DIY C-Stand Tut Posted

Old June 24th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
baument[_2_]

Default DIY C-Stand Tut Posted

http://www.diyphotogear.com

Our first DIY Photo Gear project has been posted at the above address.
It's a DIY C-Stand (heavy light stand).
This stand is super heavy duty, unlike the pvc stands seen elsewhere.
It's constructed with parts found at virtually
any home center or plumbing supply house with only basic tools and
experience needed. Total dollars spent at our local
home center in the midwest was only $30.00 !!!

Check it out when you have a minute and we've many more projects to
post in the coming weeks so check back often!

Old June 24th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to baument :
http://www.diyphotogear.com

Our first DIY Photo Gear project has been posted at the above address.
It's a DIY C-Stand (heavy light stand).
This stand is super heavy duty, unlike the pvc stands seen elsewhere.
It's constructed with parts found at virtually
any home center or plumbing supply house with only basic tools and
experience needed. Total dollars spent at our local
home center in the midwest was only $30.00 !!!

Check it out when you have a minute and we've many more projects to
post in the coming weeks so check back often!

An excellent site, and one which I intend to bookmark. A few
minor comments however:

1) The drilling of the pipe caps -- I would flip the lock-joint
pliers other side up to be a more reliable grip of the pipe
caps.

2) Holding the tap in the vise grips is more likely to break it.
Better if you have a proper tap wrench, which applies the force
in a balanced manner.

3) Since I have a lathe and a milling machine, I would probably
make a base hub which would have all three legs coming out at
the same level --just for appearance' sake.

4) Going back to another project, the zapshot modification:

Instead of using soap, a better substance to help slide the
strain relief onto the wire is K-Y jelly. (Yes, you normally
don't think of it for such uses, but it is excellent for the
purpose.)

I am glad to have the partial pinout of the Nikon connector (and
would like to know what the other pins do). As a result, I have printed
this out prior to getting a D-200. (I've got an old Nikon N90s which was
converted to digital by Kodak which has such a connector, but Kodak is
using it to connect the digital base to the film camera, so it is not
directly accessible for my use on that one. :-)

I presume that you got the partial pinout by tracing the
functions of the Adidt, rather than from some listing of data from
Nikon.

Thanks much,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old June 25th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
â–€Slack

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:20:25 -0700, baument wrote:

http://www.diyphotogear.com

Our first DIY Photo Gear project has been posted at the above address.
It's a DIY C-Stand (heavy light stand).
This stand is super heavy duty, unlike the pvc stands seen elsewhere.
It's constructed with parts found at virtually
any home center or plumbing supply house with only basic tools and
experience needed. Total dollars spent at our local
home center in the midwest was only $30.00 !!!

Check it out when you have a minute and we've many more projects to
post in the coming weeks so check back often!

Great tutorial... thanks!
--
Slack