Is a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM worth the price?

Old June 18th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Is a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM worth the price?

Costco is selling this lens for $199. Would you buy it?

Thanks
Dano

Old June 18th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D[_2_]

wrote in message
Costco is selling this lens for $199. Would you buy it?

Thanks
Dano

For $199 you will get a $199 lens, no more, no less. If that is all you can
afford then go for it, I would probably hold out for a better lens.

I assume it is not the IS lens, if it is it is probably a bargain but there
is still better for a little more.

Cheers.

Pete

Old June 18th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Anonymous

wrote in message
Costco is selling this lens for $199. Would you buy it?

Thanks
Dano

Hello Dano.

Over her in the UK the reviews tend to suggest buying the 90-300mm lens
rather than the 75-300. They usually reckon it is optically better than the
75-300 lens.

Regards, Ian.

Old June 18th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

wrote in message
Costco is selling this lens for $199. Would you buy it?

Thanks
Dano

Hi!
I bought the EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM for my Canon 350D which I swapped
for a 30D now.
That lens is perhaps not as great as an L glass, but is well worth it.
Marcel

Old June 18th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Sheehy

B. Dover wrote in
:

It
is not as sharp wide open as a more expensive canon lens that costs
two or three times as much but unsharp mask can level the playing
field surprisingly well.

Sharpening soft optics beyond what it takes to reverse the effect of the
anti-aliasing filter does not give great results, and can intensify noise
quite a bit.

There's nothing like a sharp lens to begin with, to cut through the noise.

--

John P Sheehy

Old June 20th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
â–€Slack

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 01:20:14 -0700, wrote:

Costco is selling this lens for $199. Would you buy it?

Thanks
Dano

Sure, if you don't mind paying 33% more than market rate and you aren't
planning
on shooting anything faster than a sunbathing
http://www.pbase.com/slack/image/41136212

Otherwise...
--
Slack