4x5 in Xtol 1:1

Old February 21st 04, 09:01 PM
Gary Banuk

Default 4x5 in Xtol 1:1

Kodak recomends Xtol at FS for 6.75 min @ 68F. What would be used at
1:1? All I need is a starting point.

I am using the HP Combi tank that I purchased a few years ago. Then I
was using D76 but have a large supply of Xtol.

Due to personnal matters I have been out of the darkroom for a couple
of years. I am now restarting this hobby.
Old February 21st 04, 10:05 PM
Mark A

"Gary Banuk" wrote in message
Kodak recomends Xtol at FS for 6.75 min @ 68F. What would be used at
1:1? All I need is a starting point.

I am using the HP Combi tank that I purchased a few years ago. Then I
was using D76 but have a large supply of Xtol.

Due to personnal matters I have been out of the darkroom for a couple
of years. I am now restarting this hobby.

Kodak has a very comprehensive tech pub document for XTOL on the Kodak
website. Get it.

Old February 22nd 04, 12:03 AM
Ian Grant

Using any powdered Dev with 5"x4" in a dev tank is uneconomic at 1:1, why
not use FS and replenish your stock solution. You actually get better
results.

Have been doing that for over 35 years now, first with Promicrol and then
Microphen, later with Adox Borax MQ (for about 10 yrs) with a break where I
only used Rodinal but now with X-tol until supplies run out . . . . . .

Ian

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Old February 22nd 04, 05:56 PM
Gary Banuk

What do you mean until supplies run out? Is xtol being discontinued?

Old February 22nd 04, 08:38 PM
Ian Grant

Well it's almost impossible to find here in the UK now.

When I was in Rochester (US not UK) in November I was told in one large
photostore that they expected that when stocks ran out it would just
disappear. It wasn't being promoted by Kodak an more. They only had the
small US pack which was all they could still get - here in the UK only the 5
litre pack was available.

It was announced here in the UK that it would no longer be available in
European sizes about a year ago, (ie 5litres as opposed to a US Gallon
pack), and the Kodak plant has ceased production pf powdered chemicals in
the UK. I did buy the last two 5 litre packs in a large Canadian store
before coming home.

It appears it will just disappear in most markets, you may be luckier in the
States. It's possible that Kodak have reasonable stocks left.

Ian

Old February 22nd 04, 09:56 PM
Mark A

"Ian Grant" wrote in message
[...]

Are you talking about the discontinued 1 liter packages? The 5 liter
packages are still available.

In the US, brick and mortar photography stores that sell B&W darkroom
equipment are fast becoming extinct. Most people have to order darkroom
supplies via the internet (like B&H Photo, Calumet, etc). XTOL is still
available from these internet firms.

In the UK, you can try Calumet (http://www.calumetphoto.com) They have XTOL
in stock.

It is a common tactic in the US for retailers who decide not to stock a
particular product to tell customers that it is no longer available from the
manufacturer. Sometimes it is true, but many times not. Or maybe their
distributor has stopped carrying it, even though the manufacturer still
makes it.

Old February 23rd 04, 08:07 AM
Jon

It appears it will just disappear in most markets, you may be luckier in the
States. It's possible that Kodak have reasonable stocks left.

Ian

Good job starting up another rumor. Why don't you get your facts straight
before blowing smoke up everyone's ass?

Jon