Lightroom Classic CC problem

Old February 11th 18, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Lightroom Classic CC problem

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 19:31:37 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

even the smallest problem will interrupt your workflow.

I have never had my workflow interupted by Windows 10 crashing until
Lightroom Classic CC locked up when using this particular catalog.

forgot about spyder so quickly?

That was not a Windows problem. That turned out to be a 'user'
problem.

it was a windows problem.

It
doesn't lock up when using another catalog. You are severely misguided
if you think this points at a Windows problem.

it could be. you haven't identified how that catalog became corrupted
in the first place or what the exact cause of the crash actually is.

It seems Adobe's Crash Report is not working. Check with Google and
you will find a lot of people and Adobe apps have been affected by
this of recent date.

which could easily be (and likely is) a windows problem.

I gather it is probably conflicting updates at almost the same time.
Seemingly the two parties never consulted the other about what they
are doing.

crash reporters are *very* simple tools and there's not a lot to go
wrong.

They have to start first.

it could be lightroom, it could be windows, it could be an antivirus
app you've installed or a variety of other potential causes.

That's wishful thinking.

nope. it's reality.

Based on ignorance of the actual problem.

until you rule something out (which isn't always easy), the cause could
be anything.

But I do know something about the problem.

you are giving windows a free pass to *any* problem.

And you are blaming it for all.

nope. nowhere have i said what the cause of the problem was.

But that hasn't stopped you from writing a heap of garbage about it.

i'm taking issue with you *not* including windows as a possibility.

Of course Windows is involved! The Adobe software is installed to run
on it.

Eric Stevens
Old February 11th 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 19:43:41 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

With the advantage of hindsite it is now quite obvious.

“Hindsite” isn’t that what you sit on?

You are thinking about 'backsite'. 'Hindsite' is what I use when I go
deer shooting.

Naah!
‘Backsite’ is what you recline on.

As for deer shooting it is usually best to make sure that you have ‘sights’
on your rifle.

Savageduck
Old February 11th 18, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It
doesn't lock up when using another catalog. You are severely misguided
if you think this points at a Windows problem.

it could be. you haven't identified how that catalog became corrupted
in the first place or what the exact cause of the crash actually is.

It seems Adobe's Crash Report is not working. Check with Google and
you will find a lot of people and Adobe apps have been affected by
this of recent date.

which could easily be (and likely is) a windows problem.

I gather it is probably conflicting updates at almost the same time.
Seemingly the two parties never consulted the other about what they
are doing.

oh, they consult. neither party wants flagship apps to crash.

crash reporters are *very* simple tools and there's not a lot to go
wrong.

They have to start first.

if it doesn't start, then it can't be an adobe problem, since the adobe
component isn't even running.

it could be lightroom, it could be windows, it could be an antivirus
app you've installed or a variety of other potential causes.

That's wishful thinking.

nope. it's reality.

Based on ignorance of the actual problem.

nope.

it's based on having tracked down countless mysterious bugs over the
years. the actual reason is not always what it first appears.

long ago, there was an issue on the mac where photoshop would write out
corrupted files without the user even realizing it. everything appeared
normal, except the file was corrupt. only when the user *next* accessed
the file (which could be years later) did they even notice.

sounds like a photoshop problem, right? nope.

it was caused by having a particular version of norton antivirus
installed, which intercepted file i/o calls to check for malware and
somehow trashed them in the process.

until you rule something out (which isn't always easy), the cause could
be anything.

But I do know something about the problem.

less than you think, and little to nothing about the actual underlying
cause.

you are giving windows a free pass to *any* problem.

And you are blaming it for all.

nope. nowhere have i said what the cause of the problem was.

But that hasn't stopped you from writing a heap of garbage about it.

nothing garbage about it.

i'm taking issue with you *not* including windows as a possibility.

Of course Windows is involved! The Adobe software is installed to run
on it.

yet you've already ruled it out as a potential cause.
Old February 11th 18, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-02-11 00:57:41 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

I have created a new empty catalog and copied my old catalog into it.

*** Sweetness and Light! ***

It all seems to work. It's far to soon to tell whether or not I have
lost anything but time will tell.

Many thanks for that suggestion. With the advantage of hindsite it is
now quite obvious.

Prego! :-))
--
teleportation kills

Old February 11th 18, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 23:31:22 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Now why did you ignore that part of my post where I demonstrate that
LR had stopped working as a result of an Adobe file problem?

a corrupted file can be due to a windows problem.

As long as you are guessing you might as well include a whole lot moe
speculation.

Now I have but to sort out what I believe to be a file access
permission problem which is preventing Adobe's Crash Reporter from
working.

in other words, it is a windows problem.

Only to the extent that you have to learn about it and understand it.

and i do.

Well, how then do I fix it?

I know you are not bad at learning about things. Where you fall down
is understanding them.

ad hominem.

There is no argument for me to attack. My comment is directed at you
specifically.

Eric Stevens
Old February 11th 18, 08:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 23:38:25 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

again, the point is that even though he continually runs into various
problems, he dismisses windows as being a factor in any of them.

Who said anything about 'continually'?

i did.

do try to keep up.

Thank you for making my point.

my saying continually is because your problems are not a one-off.
they're actually rather frequent.

You are making up most of this stuff.

nope. i'm going by what you've said over the years.

Most of my problems arise from not knowing.

i can see that.

I can't remember Windows
crashing since I installed Windows 7. I have had one or two programs
run amok, such as is the present case with Lightroom. I don't know
what you are thinking of.

who said anything about crashing?

Mayana did. You should know that. You responded to him and thereby
started this branch of the thead.

nope. you did, in the very post to which i replied above.

Read the thread. Go back up to near the top.

Eric Stevens
Old February 11th 18, 08:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 00:19:58 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It
doesn't lock up when using another catalog. You are severely misguided
if you think this points at a Windows problem.

it could be. you haven't identified how that catalog became corrupted
in the first place or what the exact cause of the crash actually is.

It seems Adobe's Crash Report is not working. Check with Google and
you will find a lot of people and Adobe apps have been affected by
this of recent date.

which could easily be (and likely is) a windows problem.

I gather it is probably conflicting updates at almost the same time.
Seemingly the two parties never consulted the other about what they
are doing.

oh, they consult. neither party wants flagship apps to crash.

They seem to have missed on this occasion. Of course it might just be
coincidence.

crash reporters are *very* simple tools and there's not a lot to go
wrong.

They have to start first.

if it doesn't start, then it can't be an adobe problem, since the adobe
component isn't even running.

From what has been posted it seems to be somehow tied up with
permissions. I imagine these are probably set by the software
installer.

it could be lightroom, it could be windows, it could be an antivirus
app you've installed or a variety of other potential causes.

That's wishful thinking.

nope. it's reality.

Based on ignorance of the actual problem.

nope.

it's based on having tracked down countless mysterious bugs over the
years. the actual reason is not always what it first appears.

Other people have tracked down this specific bug and have reported
what they found. If you haven't read any of this you only able to
guess, as indeed you are.

long ago, there was an issue on the mac where photoshop would write out
corrupted files without the user even realizing it. everything appeared
normal, except the file was corrupt. only when the user *next* accessed
the file (which could be years later) did they even notice.

sounds like a photoshop problem, right? nope.

it was caused by having a particular version of norton antivirus
installed, which intercepted file i/o calls to check for malware and
somehow trashed them in the process.

until you rule something out (which isn't always easy), the cause could
be anything.

But I do know something about the problem.

less than you think, and little to nothing about the actual underlying
cause.

At this stage I know more than you.

you are giving windows a free pass to *any* problem.

And you are blaming it for all.

nope. nowhere have i said what the cause of the problem was.

But that hasn't stopped you from writing a heap of garbage about it.

nothing garbage about it.

i'm taking issue with you *not* including windows as a possibility.

Of course Windows is involved! The Adobe software is installed to run
on it.

yet you've already ruled it out as a potential cause.

From what I have read, that's probably correct.

Eric Stevens
Old February 11th 18, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

doesn't lock up when using another catalog. You are severely
misguided
if you think this points at a Windows problem.

it could be. you haven't identified how that catalog became corrupted
in the first place or what the exact cause of the crash actually is.

It seems Adobe's Crash Report is not working. Check with Google and
you will find a lot of people and Adobe apps have been affected by
this of recent date.

which could easily be (and likely is) a windows problem.

I gather it is probably conflicting updates at almost the same time.
Seemingly the two parties never consulted the other about what they
are doing.

oh, they consult. neither party wants flagship apps to crash.

They seem to have missed on this occasion. Of course it might just be
coincidence.

you have *no* evidence that they didn't consult with each other.

crash reporters are *very* simple tools and there's not a lot to go
wrong.

They have to start first.

if it doesn't start, then it can't be an adobe problem, since the adobe
component isn't even running.

From what has been posted it seems to be somehow tied up with
permissions. I imagine these are probably set by the software
installer.

nothing more than a wild ass guess.

it could be lightroom, it could be windows, it could be an antivirus
app you've installed or a variety of other potential causes.

That's wishful thinking.

nope. it's reality.

Based on ignorance of the actual problem.

nope.

it's based on having tracked down countless mysterious bugs over the
years. the actual reason is not always what it first appears.

Other people have tracked down this specific bug and have reported
what they found. If you haven't read any of this you only able to
guess, as indeed you are.

they can only report symptoms, not the cause.
Old February 12th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 09:23:43 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

From what has been posted it seems to be somehow tied up with
permissions. I imagine these are probably set by the software
installer.

nothing more than a wild ass guess.

Nope. Other people have found out how to fix the problem.

Old February 12th 18, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

crash reporters are *very* simple tools and there's not a lot to go
wrong.

They have to start first.

if it doesn't start, then it can't be an adobe problem, since the adobe
component isn't even running.

From what has been posted it seems to be somehow tied up with
permissions. I imagine these are probably set by the software
installer.

nothing more than a wild ass guess.

Nope. Other people have found out how to fix the problem.

only the symptoms, not the underlying cause.

in other words, a workaround.