How many mega pixels?

Old June 26th 04, 02:21 AM
David J. Littleboy

Default How many mega pixels?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Babbling Brook Photography wrote:
I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll
join the crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get
a professional quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine
grained film?

A fine grain 35 mm film is about the same as 50 mega pixels, but there
is no exact comparison since they are apples and oranges. Both good, but
different.

Everyone who has looked at 1Ds images finds them to be far closer to 645
than to 35mm. So on a purely subjective basis, 35mm film (in particular,
Provia 100F) is nowhere close to 11MP.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 26th 04, 03:14 AM
Ivan

A fine grain 35 mm film is about the same as 50 mega pixels, but

there
is no exact comparison since they are apples and oranges. Both good,

but
different.

Everyone who has looked at 1Ds images finds them to be far closer to 645
than to 35mm. So on a purely subjective basis, 35mm film (in particular,
Provia 100F) is nowhere close to 11MP.

Is the Cannon 1D also playing math tricks, or is the larger sensor actually
responsible for the 10mp?

Old June 26th 04, 03:26 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Ivan" wrote:
A fine grain 35 mm film is about the same as 50 mega pixels, but

there
is no exact comparison since they are apples and oranges. Both good,

but
different.

Everyone who has looked at 1Ds images finds them to be far closer to 645
than to 35mm. So on a purely subjective basis, 35mm film (in particular,
Provia 100F) is nowhere close to 11MP.

Is the Cannon 1D also playing math tricks, or is the larger sensor

actually
responsible for the 10mp?

No math tricks. Canon and Nikon (and Olympus and Pentax and Sony) cameras
actually have the pixels they claim them to have. There's only one mfr that
lies.

The Canon 1D is a 4MP camera.
The Canon 1D mkII is an 8MP camera.
The Canon 1Ds is a 10.989 MP camera that most people call an 11MP camera.

These are all real pixels. Since these are correctly implemented digital
imaging systems, they all include a low-pass filter, and the actual limiting
resolution as seen on a test chart tends to be about 2/3 of the Nyquist
frequency.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 26th 04, 03:52 AM
Crownfield

Ivan wrote:

"Crownfield" wrote in message
Babbling Brook Photography wrote:

I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll join

the
crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get a

professional
quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine grained film?

5 mp will look very good in a 20x30.
12, 24, 48 will of course, look even better.

The few cameras that some posts have refered to as 10mp, are they actually
that high or are the manufacturers playing math tricks?

the SIGMA foveon supporters take the number of
horizontal pixels x vertical pixels
(in their case a very small number)
x camera strap holders
x number of controls on the camera
x number of lenses that fit the camera.

canon, nikon, everyone else
take the number of
horizontal pixels
x vertical pixels = MP.

canon has one 11 mp camera,
and kodak has one 14 mp camera.

best that sigma can offer is 3mp.
Old June 26th 04, 03:53 AM
Crownfield

Gene Palmiter wrote:

The Fuji plays math tricks too

but it does 6 mp without tricks, 12 mp with tricks.

wrote in message
In message ,
"Ivan" wrote:

The few cameras that some posts have refered to as 10mp, are they

actually
that high or are the manufacturers playing math tricks?

If you're referring to the Sigma SD10 (or SD9) camera, the answer is
"math tricks". The sensors record only 3.43 million pixels (albeit in 3
colors each).
--

John P Sheehy

Old June 26th 04, 04:07 AM
chibitul

In article , Crownfield
wrote:

[snip]

The few cameras that some posts have refered to as 10mp, are they actually
that high or are the manufacturers playing math tricks?

the SIGMA foveon supporters take the number of
horizontal pixels x vertical pixels
(in their case a very small number)
x camera strap holders
x number of controls on the camera
x number of lenses that fit the camera.

you forgot something:

x George Preddy's multiple personality!!!

Old June 26th 04, 05:13 AM
Darrell Larose

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Babbling Brook Photography wrote:
I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll
join the crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get
a professional quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine
grained film?

A fine grain 35 mm film is about the same as 50 mega pixels, but there
is no exact comparison since they are apples and oranges. Both good, but
different.

If you take the resolving power of a film like Fuji Astia, which is the
highest resolution colour film you have a maximum resolving power of 150
lp/mm x24x36 you would get a grid of 3600x5400= 19,440,000 or roughly 19 MP
however film is an emulsion, not a sensor grid and there is more happening
to form an image. The other equation is 150 lp/mm is higher resolution than
most lenses can deliver. Most colour (type C) paper can resolve 200 lp/mm,
but I understand some of the new paper for the hybrid printers like the Agfa
D-lab are more like 300 lp/mm. Unlike digital papers the 20x30" paper is
still 200 lp/mm same as the 40" wide rolls. So if one were to take a photo
with similar cameras like the Nikon F100 and D100 under ideal conditions, up
to 12x18" it would be hard to really see much difference. As these could
still be printed on the same hybrid printer, for example the Agfa D-lab
outputs both film images and digital on the same paper. Now If I were to
make a 20x30" Ilfochrome (Ciba) from the Astia slide and made a 20x30" from
the digital file, first we have to allow that the 20x30 is really equivelent
to a 32x48" print do to the different image capture area (APS-C) of the
DSLR. I have been looking at digital images for a while now, and the the
quality of a prosumer DSLR is excellent. I still will shoot medium-format
and large-format, and I still shoot 35mm slides, because frankly digital
projectors still have a way to come to match a projected slide. Still apples
and oranges, but my best advice is, if you live in a city that has rental
equipment rent a DSLR for the weekend and see if it meets your expectations.

Darrell Larose
Ottawa, Canada

Old June 26th 04, 06:10 AM
Crownfield

chibitul wrote:

In article , Crownfield
wrote:

[snip]

The few cameras that some posts have refered to as 10mp, are they actually
that high or are the manufacturers playing math tricks?

the SIGMA foveon supporters take the number of
horizontal pixels x vertical pixels
(in their case a very small number)
x camera strap holders
x number of controls on the camera
x number of lenses that fit the camera.

you forgot something:

x George Preddy's multiple personality!!!

my mistake.
thanks for the save.

Old June 26th 04, 10:45 AM
Ivan

"Darrell Larose" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
[...]

Excellant reply Darrell, THANKS!
I'm slowly wading my way through the stages of purchasing the right
equipment. In the past I just threw money around until I was satisfied.
Thanks, Ivan