How many mega pixels?

Old June 25th 04, 08:47 PM
Babbling Brook Photography

Default How many mega pixels?

I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll join the
crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get a professional
quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine grained film?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Babbling Brook Photography

Old June 25th 04, 09:02 PM
Charles Schuler

"Babbling Brook Photography" wrote
in message ...
I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll join

the
crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get a professional
quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine grained film?

50 megapixels.

Old June 25th 04, 09:04 PM
Alan D-W

"Babbling Brook Photography" wrote
in message ...

30 Day Money Back Guarantee!

Oh dear.

Old June 25th 04, 09:40 PM
Ron Risman

Hi,

Typically 300dpi is suggested for professional quality prints. Using 300dpi
as the example, a 20"x30" digital image would in require a 6000x9000 pixel
image (see math below). This equates to 54,000 Pixels or 54 Megapixels
(6000x9000 = 54,000).

(20" x 300dpi = 6000 pixels)
(30" x 300dpi = 9000 pixels)

You would probably find that even a 200dpi image would look (to the eye)
like a tradional photograph, however that would still be 24 Megapixels in
size.

Ron
http://www.cameratown.com

Old June 25th 04, 10:07 PM
Ron Hunter

Babbling Brook Photography wrote:

I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll join the
crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get a professional
quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine grained film?

Just multiply each side by 300. That would be 9000x6000, and then
multiply those sides together. That's about 54 mp. Maybe you better
wait a while.

Old June 25th 04, 11:06 PM
Crownfield

Babbling Brook Photography wrote:

I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll join the
crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get a professional
quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine grained film?

5 mp will look very good in a 20x30.
12, 24, 48 will of course, look even better.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old June 25th 04, 11:51 PM
Ivan

"Crownfield" wrote in message
Babbling Brook Photography wrote:

I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll join

the
crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get a

professional
quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine grained film?

5 mp will look very good in a 20x30.
12, 24, 48 will of course, look even better.

The few cameras that some posts have refered to as 10mp, are they actually
that high or are the manufacturers playing math tricks?

Old June 26th 04, 12:25 AM
Joseph Meehan

Babbling Brook Photography wrote:
I have yet to make the leap to digital, but someday I suppose I'll
join the crowd. My question is how many mega pixels do I need to get
a professional quality 20" x 30" picture that is equivalent to a fine
grained film?

A fine grain 35 mm film is about the same as 50 mega pixels, but there
is no exact comparison since they are apples and oranges. Both good, but
different.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old June 26th 04, 12:53 AM

In message ,
"Ivan" wrote:

The few cameras that some posts have refered to as 10mp, are they actually
that high or are the manufacturers playing math tricks?

If you're referring to the Sigma SD10 (or SD9) camera, the answer is
"math tricks". The sensors record only 3.43 million pixels (albeit in 3
colors each).
--

John P Sheehy