Powershot A75 under Linux?

Old November 22nd 04, 11:47 PM
BDB

Default Powershot A75 under Linux?

Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under linux?
Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that seems to work
well for me?

--
"Sigourney Weaver is pretty cool, he really kicks ass in all those
alien movies, even if he does look a little like a chick."
Old November 23rd 04, 08:44 AM
SgtRich

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:47:41 GMT, BDB wrote:

Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under linux?
Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that seems to work
well for me?

The software that is included with the Canon PowerShot A75 says nothing
about Linux. Windows & Mac are the only platforms that I see supported. The
software manual DOES state that the software will not work on disks
formatted with the Unix File System, although I'm not sure if that is what
Linux uses or not, as I've never used Linux.
--
SgtRich
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Old November 23rd 04, 01:10 PM
nafod40

SgtRich wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:47:41 GMT, BDB wrote:

Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under linux?
Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that seems to work
well for me?

The software that is included with the Canon PowerShot A75 says nothing
about Linux. Windows & Mac are the only platforms that I see supported. The
software manual DOES state that the software will not work on disks
formatted with the Unix File System, although I'm not sure if that is what
Linux uses or not, as I've never used Linux.

I didn't try it myself, as I ended up just using an XP box, but I looked
into it. Try googling on "Linux" and "A75" or "A70". Here's one hit that
I bookmarked...

http://pto.linux.dk/Canon_PowerShot_A70_Linux/

Old November 23rd 04, 02:45 PM
Michael Meissner

SgtRich writes:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:47:41 GMT, BDB wrote:

Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under linux?
Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that seems to work
well for me?

The software that is included with the Canon PowerShot A75 says nothing
about Linux. Windows & Mac are the only platforms that I see supported. The
software manual DOES state that the software will not work on disks
formatted with the Unix File System, although I'm not sure if that is what
Linux uses or not, as I've never used Linux.

The last time I checked, Canon cameras did not act as USB mass storage
devices. If they don't, try gphoto2. I don't see the A75 supported, but the
A70 is supported, so you might be able to tell gphoto2 to use the A70 commands
and/or get a new release of gphoto2.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old November 23rd 04, 10:48 PM
Chris D

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:47:41 GMT
BDB wrote:

Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under
linux? Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that
seems to work well for me?

Easiest way to get it working is to spend 30 bucks (Probably
somewhat less if you're american) on a Card Reader. I Use a
card reader under 'Doze instead of the proper Canon driver as
well (There's always debate over whether it's best to use a
card reader or plug in the camera).

I Use RedHat 9, and it's simply a case of plugging in the card
reader, mounting /dev/sda1, and hey-presto, one flash card, full
of pics from the Canon.

-Chris D
Old November 23rd 04, 10:51 PM
Chris D

Oh, and for what it's worth, I've got an A95, I have tried
briefly to get it going under linux, but with no success. I
Didn't try too hard, because I preffer to use the card reader
anyway.

-Chris D

Old November 24th 04, 08:10 PM
BDB

Chris D wrote:
Easiest way to get it working is to spend 30 bucks (Probably
somewhat less if you're american) on a Card Reader. I Use a
card reader under 'Doze instead of the proper Canon driver as
well (There's always debate over whether it's best to use a
card reader or plug in the camera).

Followup question, if I take pictures with the A75, then move the
CompactFlash card to my old camera which I am currently able to use
under Linux as a Mass Storage Device, will I be able to read the A75
pictures via the old camera? Is the CF file format the same for
all cameras?