D70 Nikon ccd tilted

Old July 2nd 04, 04:52 PM
MikeS

Default D70 Nikon ccd tilted

I sent my D70 into Nikon services because the ccd was not fitted square.
I noticed this when I took some shots of my daughters post graduate work to
reduce a A2 posters to A3 Or A4 I took them square on and through the view
finder they where square when I loaded them into my computer they where
tiltin down to the right slightly. I took the camers back to Nikon on the
18 /06/04 they told me it was ready to collect yesterday Thurday the 26th
July when I got there it wasnt ready. So had make another trip and collected
it today. It still has a slight tilt. I phone to ask what they had done and
I was told the ccd had been changed,
Correct me if I'm wrong shouldn't you get what you see in the view finder?
If when you take a picture of say a picture and you see it level then it
should be level when viewed on camera screen as well as monitor screen. I
was told you have to get it square, yes I go along with that but, even if
you where not square any straight line that you line up say with the top or
bottom of screen should be square regardles of convergence elseware in the
picture. Am I right or am I right? what you see is what you get, bearing in
mind most view finders only get 90% on the field of view.
MikeS

Old July 2nd 04, 05:10 PM
David J Taylor

"MikeS" wrote in message
I sent my D70 into Nikon services because the ccd was not fitted square.

Mike,

Any chance that it is the viewfinder mask that isn't fitted square? What
happens if you line up the body of the camera aginst an edge?

David

Old July 2nd 04, 05:23 PM
adm

"MikeS" wrote in message
[...]

Measure both your legs and see if one os shorter than the other.

Old July 2nd 04, 06:27 PM
MikeS

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message ...
"MikeS" wrote in message
I sent my D70 into Nikon services because the ccd was not fitted square.

Mike,

Any chance that it is the viewfinder mask that isn't fitted square? What
happens if you line up the body of the camera aginst an edge?

David

David,

It did occur to me when I first noticed it but the Nikon technician decided
to change the ccd.
I'll try and set the camera up I have a spirit level my tripod but the
mounting bit can tilt and swivel so I need a spirit level on the base of the
camera, I've got a small spirit level I use to level my caravan will give it
a go with that. Its an issue but it can be corrected in Photoshop. A bit of
a inconvenience.

MikeS

Old July 2nd 04, 06:45 PM
David J Taylor

"MikeS" wrote in message
[]
Any chance that it is the viewfinder mask that isn't fitted square?

What
happens if you line up the body of the camera aginst an edge?

David

David,

It did occur to me when I first noticed it but the Nikon technician

decided
to change the ccd.
I'll try and set the camera up I have a spirit level my tripod but the
mounting bit can tilt and swivel so I need a spirit level on the base of

the
camera, I've got a small spirit level I use to level my caravan will

give it
a go with that. Its an issue but it can be corrected in Photoshop. A bit

of
a inconvenience.

MikeS

I was thinking of an alignment by eye, rather than spirit level. You must
have a straight edge in the house somewhere - window edge or something.
Set the camera up exactly in front of that edge, so that a line from the
lens to the edge is at 90 degrees, and then align the body by eye with the
edge. Look in the viewfinder and take a picture - see if either is
"correct".

Cheers,
David

Old July 2nd 04, 07:42 PM
IMKen

Go into the menu and set the grid to show in the view finder. use those
lines for your alignment rather than the edge of the view finder.

For insurance use a tripod to support the camera and take your time insuring
visual alignment. If it is not true send the camera back and insist on an
exchange.

Ken

"MikeS" wrote in message

"David J Taylor"

Old July 2nd 04, 08:02 PM
Crownfield

MikeS wrote:

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message ...
"MikeS" wrote in message
I sent my D70 into Nikon services because the ccd was not fitted square.

Mike,

Any chance that it is the viewfinder mask that isn't fitted square? What
happens if you line up the body of the camera aginst an edge?

David

I'll try and set the camera up I have a spirit level my tripod but the
mounting bit can tilt and swivel so I need a spirit level on the base of the

instead, try lining up the image of anything with a sort of horizontal
line
with the edge of the viewfinder.
if the viewfinder shows it aligned with the edge of the frame,
but the final image does not,
then either the sensor or the viewfinder has a problem.

the level idea may not work.
If the camera is level, but the horizon is of a mountain slope...

MikeS

Old July 2nd 04, 09:27 PM
Dave Martindale

"MikeS" writes:

How much is the error? No camera is going to have perfect rotational
alignment between camera base, sensor, and finder frame, because there
are always errors in mechanical systems.

If the error is several degrees, I think you have grounds for complaint.
If it's only a few arc seconds, you don't.

Dave
Old July 2nd 04, 10:00 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message ...
SNIP
I was thinking of an alignment by eye, rather than spirit level. You must
have a straight edge in the house somewhere - window edge or something.
Set the camera up exactly in front of that edge, so that a line from the
lens to the edge is at 90 degrees, and then align the body by eye with the
edge. Look in the viewfinder and take a picture - see if either is
"correct".

Just taking an image of the camera in a mirror should reveal alignment
errors.
Put the camera on a table holding a mirror in front of it, check the mirror
image in the viewfinder, and after the shot on LCD and in the file.

Bart