Nikon D70 Questions

Old July 2nd 04, 01:16 PM
Mike

Default Nikon D70 Questions

2. If a protective filter is a good idea, where, what brand, and what type
should I get?

I've got a Hoya UV filter on my D70 and the Nikon lens cap fits just fine. I
keep it on all the time and it doesn't appear to affect the excellent
quality of the pics (quality of image not composition I might add!)

I'd like to print up to 8.5 x 11 pictures. I have an old inkjet but was
thinking of getting either an HP 7960 or Epson PictureMate. The

PictureMate
only prints 4 x 6, but has exceptionally good quality.

I've recently bought the Canon A3 i9950 and although its pricey it produces
superb quality prints from the D70 at A3 in an astonishingly quick time. A4
less than 2 mins and A3 about 4 mins. It got a fantastic write up in the UK
Amateur Protographer mag.

Mike

Old July 2nd 04, 02:06 PM
Dennis D. Carter

I'd like to thank everyone for the responses to my D70 questions.

I contacted Nikon regarding filters for the D70 and they only make one and
are keeping places to purchase it a secret. So, I decided to get a B+W,
either a 67mm MRC F-Pro UV or UV Haze 010. I'm calling Schneider Optics
this morning to find out what the differences are.

I'm undecided about what printer to get. It will probably be one of the
Canon's, but HP and Epson are still in the running. I currently have a
Canon 7004. It's old, very reliable, does a fair job, but it's next to
impossible to find photo ink cartridges for it. I want a good printer for
this camera.

The only complaint I have about the D70 is the level of detail it picks up.
I took a picture inside my apartment and it picked up all the dust and
garbage in here. Nikon needs to develop a filter to clean my apartment .

Thanks again for all your help.

Dennis D. Carter

Old July 2nd 04, 02:28 PM
Jose Marques

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Bob wrote:

I guess if something's gonna happen - it will... with my luck I'd buy a
filter and put it on and then drop the camera and smash the camera!

My FM2's hot-shoe stopped working a few years back (the camera was bought
in 1984 so it was probably due to age). I sent it off to Nikon to be
repaired. The camera came back, hot-shoe operational. Shortly afterwards
I dropped the camera, for the first time ever, and damaged the hot-shoe
beyond use.

--
Jose Marques

Old July 2nd 04, 02:56 PM
Tom Scales

I'm an epson fan, as long as you use good ink. It doesn't have to be Epson
ink, but use a reputable subsitiute or they clog.

My Epson 1270 is still going strong and I simply LOVE my Epson 7600.

Tom
snip

Old July 2nd 04, 03:28 PM
Jose Marques

Default Nikon D70 Questions Slightly OT

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Peter wrote:

Will vignetting be a problem with physically deeper filters when
combined with the 17-70 lens?

I took a few test shots (18-70mm at 18mm - subject an evenly lit white
wall 50cm in front of me) with no filter and with a B+W 67mm UV filter
(that has a front thread). I couldn't see any difference in the light
fall off between the shots (the corners were slightly dark in both).

--
Jose Marques

Old July 4th 04, 12:00 AM
Dennis D. Carter

I decided to get a Canon I9900 printer. All I can say is "WOW!" I tested
prints using Nikon View, Adobe Photoshop, and the Canon software, using
Canon Photo Paper Pro and Plus. This printer and the D70 are made for each
other.

What I downloaded from the camera is exactly what I got on the prints. The
printer is fast, quiet, and the print quality is outstanding.

Dennis D. Carter

.

Old July 4th 04, 08:33 AM
Guy Scharf

"Dennis D. Carter" wrote:

So, I decided to get a B+W,
either a 67mm MRC F-Pro UV or UV Haze 010. I'm calling Schneider
Optics this morning to find out what the differences are.

Please let me know what you find out. I have a similar decision to
make.

Thanks.

Guy
Old July 4th 04, 11:29 AM
Dennis D. Carter

Guy,
According to the guy I spoke to at Schneider, the F-Pro has a brass ring and
that ring is a little thinner than they UV Haze 010. The glass is the same.
The 010 can be found on several web sites. The only place I found the F-Pro
was www.2filter.com.

By the way, UV filtering isn't necessary for DSLR's but apparently nobody
makes just a clear glass 67mm lens filter, not even Nikon.

Dennis D. Carter