Canon/Nikon any REAL difference????

Old June 30th 04, 05:27 AM
Chuck

Default Canon/Nikon any REAL difference????

Don't be a complete bozo: The type of equipment one owns & uses hasn't

got
the last thing to do with personality traits.

Really ? Like Apple ? BMW ? Ralph Lauren ? Hyundai ? Colnago ? Specialized ?
Linux users ? Those brands have nothing to do with personality or lifestyle
?

I can see a difference between Nikonians and Canonians. Sorry for you if you
cant.

(Of course not ALL of them, but usually Nikonians are snobs. Its Nikon only,
nothing else).

Before I got my new camera , I spent a month searching the newsgroups and
forums.
And I could feel how the Nikonians were so proud of their camera. For some
of them, owning an expensive digital camera and showing it to everyone is
the fun part of it.

Of course like I said, its not true for everyone.

Chuck

Old June 30th 04, 06:56 AM
Paul Riemerman

I use a Fujifilm A 205 digital camera and a Leica M film camera -- I can be
stuffy about my Leica and practical about my Fuji.

Paul Riemerman

Old June 30th 04, 08:47 AM
Bernhard Mayer

"bmoag" wrote in message .com...

all. Really, gear is the smallest part of the aesthetic equation, a very,
very small part. A talented photographer with a Nikon990 will make better
images than most of us with a D100.

And we see proof of that every day. Anybody (really) interested in
photography would visit galeries and exhibitions on a regular basis.
If you check the equipment of those truly professional and well done
pictures, you'll find mediocre cameras and lenses nobody on the usenet
likes (e.g. the standard 28-80 as supplied with a Minolta Dynax 4)

In terms of Nikon vs. Canon: that'll be your personal taste. Right
now, in terms of entry level DSLR cameras, the Nikon D70 is plainly
and simply the better camera. As usual, this will last a couple of
months until Canon introduces a new entry level DSLR that will beat
the D70. You can't base your decision on this.
Old June 30th 04, 09:34 AM
Mick Sterbs

"Dane Brickman" wrote in message
I'm going to get an entry level DSLR with the intention of upgrading as
major refinements come on board.... my film gear is Contax and so my

current
lens collection will not be a factor.

My question is, in terms of final print quality and thinking long term,

does
it really matter if I chose Nikon over Canon or Canon over Nikon?

Does (will) one really blow the other away now or in the future, or does

it
just come down to personal preference?

You're asking questions to which the answers can only be purely subjective.
There is no objective answer - the Canon lovers, like me, will say Canon all
the way, and the Nikon lovers will only say Nikon. I think the Canon camp
will claim that there's a better lens choice.

Old June 30th 04, 05:10 PM
Charlie Ih

In article ,
Mick Sterbs wrote:

"Dane Brickman" wrote in message

You're asking questions to which the answers can only be purely subjective.
There is no objective answer - the Canon lovers, like me, will say Canon all
the way, and the Nikon lovers will only say Nikon. I think the Canon camp
will claim that there's a better lens choice.

There is always an exception. At least Nikon has its own 12-24 lens
for the D100 and Canon does not have that for their equivalent cameras
yet AFAIK. Let us know otherwise. Of course you can use Sigma lenses on
both.

--
Charles S. Ih
302-831-8173, FAX 302-831-4316
Old June 30th 04, 07:43 PM
Mike Brodbelt

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:10:54 +0000, Charlie Ih wrote:

There is always an exception. At least Nikon has its own 12-24 lens for
the D100 and Canon does not have that for their equivalent cameras yet
AFAIK. Let us know otherwise. Of course you can use Sigma lenses on
both.

Canon has full frame, Nikon doesn't. You can use the Sigma 12-24 on a
Canon, and it's even a full frame lens, unlike the Nikon DX lens. Both
systems are still evolving their digital line up though, so and advantages
in either direction are likely to be temporary.

As a Canon user, I'd like an equivalent to the 10.5mm fisheye, and I think
Nikon is currently catering better to the APS sensor size than Canon.
However, Nikon have announced they have no intention to go full frame, and
I think that's a mistake. I'd like an affordable full frame camera, and I
think Canon will get there sooner based on current performance. It took 2
years 8 months to go from a $7000, 4Mp, 1.3 crop mark 1 to a $4500, 8Mp,
1.3 crop mark 2 with lower noise, and lots of other improvements. At that
rate of improvement, relatively affordable (say sub $3000) full frame may
arrive within 5 years. If Nikon has stuck with the APS sensor, I think
they'll be at a serious disadvantage then, and if they go for a bigger
sensor at a late stage in the game, they'll have a lot of annoyed DX lens
owners.

Mike.
Old July 1st 04, 03:19 AM
Jonathan Wilson

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:02:29 -0400, "Dane Brickman"
wrote:

I'm going to get an entry level DSLR with the intention of upgrading as
major refinements come on board.... my film gear is Contax and so my current
lens collection will not be a factor.

My question is, in terms of final print quality and thinking long term, does
it really matter if I chose Nikon over Canon or Canon over Nikon?

Does (will) one really blow the other away now or in the future, or does it
just come down to personal preference?

Personal preferences, the D70 does have some better features, but
costs more... so you pays your money and takes your choice.

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com