Nikon Coolpix

Old July 4th 04, 02:10 PM
Harry

Default Nikon Coolpix

On 28 Jun 2004 17:37:40 -0700, (Frank Mazzola) wrote:

I am trying to decide between the Nikon Coolpix 5700 and 8700. I
don't really need 8 megapixels; 5 should be plenty. Is there any
reason I should spend the extra $ to get the 8700? Thanks,
Frank

Hi Frank,

I've just gone through the same decision process, comparing the Nikon,
5700, 8700, Olympus 8080, Minolta A1 & A2 and Canon Pro1. I briefly
considered the Nikon D70 and Canon EOS300, but decided decided to go
with the more convenient non-SLR option.

I read countless magazine and internet based reviews, many of which
appeared to be completely plausible but with almost contradictory
views before finally settling on the 8700.

I am delighted with the 8700 and very glad I made this choice. The
results I have obtained are absolutely stunning (I tend to print A4
size). I can't really understand the comments that the 5700 is a
better camera. I can only think of one area where that might hold true
and that relates to 'noise'. This was the one concern I had when I
boght my camera. However, I haven't had any problems in either 'Auto'
mode or when using ISO settings of 50 or 100 (and even 200). I would
probably not use ISO settings higer than that with any of the non-SLR
8 Mp cameras.

In many other respectsI find the 8700 is superior to the 5700.
(Although I now own a 8700 I also had a chance to try out the 5700).

The Viewfinder and LCD screen resolution (as well as size) are much
better on the 8700.
The AF Assist lamp is very useful in poor light conditions.
Shutter lag is significantly better (although still not perfect in bad
lighting conditions).

It must be a personal choice wit hrespect to price - the 8700 is now
available at reasonable prices (particularly if you would consider
buying on Ebay).

The bottem line is that I am sure that you would be happy with any of
the cameras named above, and I am delighted with the model I
eventuallly chose.

Regards,

Harry