Nikon Coolpix

Old June 29th 04, 01:37 AM
Frank Mazzola

Default Nikon Coolpix

I am trying to decide between the Nikon Coolpix 5700 and 8700. I
don't really need 8 megapixels; 5 should be plenty. Is there any
reason I should spend the extra $ to get the 8700? Thanks,
Frank
Old June 29th 04, 02:04 AM
grenner

I just researched that area myself when looking for a new camera. Most of
the current rack of 8's have from poor (Sony 808) to marginal reviews for
most of the rest. Even the ones that received fairly decent reviews do not
seem to be woth the extra $ for simply getting 8 megapixels. I saw no need
for 8 megapixels.

I ended up with a Digital Rebel and am very happy.

Greg
om...

Old June 29th 04, 04:32 AM
Nick C

"Frank Mazzola" wrote in message
om...
I am trying to decide between the Nikon Coolpix 5700 and 8700. I
don't really need 8 megapixels; 5 should be plenty. Is there any
reason I should spend the extra $ to get the 8700? Thanks,
Frank

Generally speaking, an 8MP camera will produce excellent 8.5x11 prints (and
a little larger good prints). If your interest is mainly in smaller prints,
say about 5x7 and smaller, with an occasional flair for a fairly decent 8x10
print, the 5MP camera should satisfy your expectant use of the camera.

However, be aware that the number of pixels alone shouldn't be the deciding
factor. There are many things other than just pixels that will affect the
quality of an image. These 'other' things are generally considered
functional improvements associated with newer cameras as the number of
pixels increase. Until at some point you become absolutely satisfied with
the performance of the camera you're using, it's then you probably will no
longer care what new cameras and associated wizardry is being marketed.
That's more likely to happen with the newer 8MP cameras than the 5MP
cameras.

I suggest when shopping for a camera, take a compact flash card with you.
Ask to be allowed to take a series of random pictures of anything with the
lens wide open and at its longest focal range, manually changing the ISO
levels, say up to 400 (taking notes of what you have done). When at home,
download the pictures and examine the images taken. The store will be
satisfied with any purchase you make but you should be satisfied with what
you have bought.

My rule-of-thumb, as concerns my buying practice, is not to buy at the level
of just what I need (at the present time) but buy a level close but above my
present need. That way as I become more familiar with my equipment, my
equipment will allow me to expand my learning curve utilizing the full
potential of what I had bought; not to mention keeping the equipment longer
thereby getting longer and better use for the expenditure.

nick

Old June 29th 04, 06:15 AM
Christopher Muto

if i had to choose the best choice between these two cameras my answer would
be neither.

despite the larger pixel count the 8700 is inferior to the 5700, but the
5700 lacks autofocus assist which means the slow lag time in good lighting
becomes impossible in moderate/dim lighting. the camera can not be used
indoors at a dining table without a large expensive external speedlight that
happens to be compatible with this camera to allow it to fire the
speedlights autofocus assist led. but if you have no intention to use it in
low light and don't mind the lag time then you can capture quality images
with the 5700.

i recommend that you take a good hard look at the canon g series for much
better values than either of these nikons.

Old June 29th 04, 09:50 AM
David J Taylor

"Frank Mazzola" wrote in message
om...
I am trying to decide between the Nikon Coolpix 5700 and 8700. I
don't really need 8 megapixels; 5 should be plenty. Is there any
reason I should spend the extra $ to get the 8700? Thanks,
Frank

The 8700 is more recent and has some more features in the camera firmware
and an auto-focus assist light. However, unles you are desparate for the
extra pixels, the 5700 is better value for money, and is a highly
optimised package.

Cheers,
David

Old June 29th 04, 09:57 AM
David J Taylor

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
if i had to choose the best choice between these two cameras my answer

would
be neither.

despite the larger pixel count the 8700 is inferior to the 5700, but the
5700 lacks autofocus assist which means the slow lag time in good

lighting
becomes impossible in moderate/dim lighting.

Just how is the 8700 inferior?
I agree that the auto-focus assist is a useful feature, although I have
not personally used the 8700. The 5700 is certainly not "impossible" in
dim lighting - you can help the focus by choosing sharp edges or focussing
on the brighter parts of the scene.

the camera can not be used
indoors at a dining table without a large expensive external speedlight

that
happens to be compatible with this camera to allow it to fire the
speedlights autofocus assist led.

I have taken many indoor shots with the 5700 at the dining table without
problems. I have never needed an external speedlight.

but if you have no intention to use it in
low light and don't mind the lag time then you can capture quality

images
with the 5700.

You can overcome the lag to some extent by a half-press of the shutter
release, which sets focus and exposure, then a full press at the desired
taking moment. I use single-shot focus, not continuous.

i recommend that you take a good hard look at the canon g series for

much
better values than either of these nikons.

Do any of them offer the same 280mm focal length?

Cheers,
David

Old June 29th 04, 03:50 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

I own the Coolpix 5700 and will admit that sometimes autofocusing in dimmer
lighting can be a pain. One thing that helps a lot, though, is to turn off
the manual selection of the AF points and turn it to "manual" which makes it
focus on the center. For some weird reason, that makes it focus in much
dimmer lighting than having manual selection of the AF points enabled with
the center-point selected. Don't ask me why; someone else suggested it and
they were right.

The 8700 does have an AF assist light, although the built-in flash has to be
popped up for it to activate itself. That would annoy me, because I have my
5700 flash set it to fire it I have it popped up, so that would be awkward
if I wanted AF assist with the 8700 but didn't want to use flash at that
time.

I'll tell you my feelings in one other key way. I would lean towards the
5700 for one simple reason--just last year it cost $1000, and now with a
little luck you can get one for $500 (hopefully that will continue when the
rebate program ends). That's a HUGE drop. Plus, 5 megapixels honestly is
PLENTY for doing 8x10s; you are NOT going to feel limited to the 5x7 range
with this camera I can assure you.

Moreover, getting back to the price thing--the 8700 sells for close to
$1000. Notice you can get a Nikon D70 (body only) for that price. Unless one
values compactness and all-in-oneness (and live LCD preview) to the hilt,
given the choice between the 8700 and the D70 for the same price 98% of the
people are going to get the D70. I know I would. No way would I spend that
much money and be THAT close to a D70 only to "settle." At least the price
difference between the 5700 and D70 is nearly 2-1 now, so you don't feel
like you were that close to having a D70 yet "settled."

LRH

Old June 29th 04, 04:15 PM
TheNewsGuy

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:15:22 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

5700 lacks autofocus assist ...

I own a 5700 and agree with the slow focus issue - it should have had
the AF assist. No matter what camera I purchased I would ALWAYS add
an external flash for properly lit flash. Every camera's built in
flash is cute, but does not give enough light, or proper shadows. In
fact if you plan to use the camera a lot with an external flash
consider the lack of the 5700's compatibility with Nikon's flash
features. The 8700 also has a larger LCD viewing panel wich is nicer.

I purchased an external Vivitar 730AFNi and use it with Nikon's SC-28
(don't buy the SC-17) cable. The results are great. And a lot cheaper
than Nikon's flashes.

Check out...

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/ - excellent source of
information

http://www.nextphoto.net/5700.htm - if you get the Coolpix look at
non-Nikon, third party accessories. Some are better designed than
Nikoln's. (really)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...n8700_pg6.html - great
source of reviews

I would go with the 8700 if I had to choose between them.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
Old June 29th 04, 11:16 PM
Frank Mazzola

Thank you all for you thoughts and comments. So, does anyone know the
Canon series? What about Olympus? I always thought that Nikon had the
best lenses, and they also have some nice lens attachments.
Thanks,
Frank