reloadable film cassettes

Old January 8th 10, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default reloadable film cassettes

"Jay" wrote in message
Google Groups rec. photo darkroom
Back in the day (don't ask me what day that was) Lica;
Nikon; Contax;
Canon; Olympus; & other 35mm manufactures sold re-loadable
cassettes
that would only operate w/ their cameras. Many if not all
cassettes,
once installed in the camera, would open to allow the
film to be
advanced w/o drawing it through a scratchy felt light
trap. Do any of
these companies cameras still operate these dedicated
cassettes? I.E.
will a Nikon f5 work w/ a Nikon dedicated reusable
cassette. If not,
does any one know which models discontinued this feature?
I've Googled
my eyeballs out and can find no info. relating to
specifically if any
mfrs still makes a camera that interfaces w/ these
dedicated
cassettes. In fact I keep getting the same Wikipedia &
other stories
over & over again. They retell the 1st 35mm film & Lica's
contribution
to advance the use of 35mm, over & over again & mention
Kalt & other
non dedicated cassettes that drag the film through a felt
passage
available today.
Any info about this greatly appreciated, Particularity;y
about Nikon &
Olympus OMs.
Thank you, JD

I have some ancient Nikon cassettes for use in my F-1.
You are right that these cassettes were dedicated to
particular cameras although I believe that some cameras take
Leica type cassettes and some Contax type, perhaps there
were others. I mostly use no-name reloadable cassettes from
Freestyle. I've had some for years and have never had
problems from scratching from the velour gate. I do take the
precaution of cleaning cassettes carefully before using
them. I don't know if any of the dedicated cassettes are
still made, probably you will have to find them on the used
market.
For those not familiar with these they use a shutter
arrangement instead of a felt or velour film gate. The
shutter is opened and closed by a lever in the camera. While
this method eliminates the film touching any part of the
cassette when feeding or rewinding but, if not carefully
loaded, they can jam and I have had that problem.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old January 11th 10, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Jay" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 12:21 am, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:
"Jay" wrote in message

[...]

Oh BTW What are the exact precautions you take? How do you
clean the felt light trap?
Thanks again Richard

Mostly just with canned air. However, you can also use
sticky tape, like Scotch tape or masking tape to pull grit
off the felt. The problem is that it can also pull some
fibers off the cloth. I Keep the cassettes in a plastic bag
between uses and in cans when loaded. That also helps
because they get a minimum exposure to grit. BTW, I still
have a lot of Kodak cassettes from before they began to
swage the ends on.
Having said this cassettes have a limited life because
they will eventually begin to leak light or scratch the
film.
My Nikon cassettes all came without the spools but I
found conventional plastic spools work OK. I suspect the
originals may have had some sort of fastening on them for
the end of the film, I just use black masking tape.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old February 12th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"jay" wrote in message

wrote:
"Jay" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, masking tape would work just fine.
In fact isn't that what Kodak does w/ their new rolls of
film?
Thank you again Richard
JD
I'm not sure what kind of tape Kodak and others use. It
isn't masking tape or regular sticky tape but the tape
doesn't matter much as long as it fastens the end of the
film to the spool.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old February 12th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 2/12/2010 7:55 AM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

"jay" wrote in message

Yes, masking tape would work just fine.
In fact isn't that what Kodak does w/ their new rolls of
film?

I'm not sure what kind of tape Kodak and others use. It
isn't masking tape or regular sticky tape but the tape
doesn't matter much as long as it fastens the end of the
film to the spool.

[note message trimming]

I think this may have been discussed here before, but does the tape that
Kodak use still light up when it's peeled apart? I remember being really
surprised (a long time ago) when I developed my first rolls of film,
standing there in the dark and seeing this relatively bright flash as I
peeled the end of the film off the spool. I thought that the roll was
ruined.

- a Usenet "apology"
Old February 28th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 2/12/2010 7:55 AM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

I think this may have been discussed here before, but does
the tape that Kodak use still light up when it's peeled
apart? I remember being really surprised (a long time ago)
when I developed my first rolls of film, standing there in
the dark and seeing this relatively bright flash as I
peeled the end of the film off the spool. I thought that
the roll was ruined.

Probably does, lots of sticky tape does this. Its known
as a triboelectric effect. (q.v. Wikipedia)

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Plastic Film Cassettes Jamming Alan Smithee In The Darkroom 9 March 13th 06 03:31 PM
Film cassettes John In The Darkroom 2 March 28th 05 08:20 PM
Film cassettes John In The Darkroom 0 March 28th 05 05:24 AM
Film cassettes John In The Darkroom 0 March 28th 05 05:24 AM
Reloadable 110 cassettes V. Minolta-16 Al Doyle In The Darkroom 0 April 8th 04 01:43 AM