Typing in lower case only makes you a bad credit risk

Old April 1st 13, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jennifer Murphy[_2_]

Default Typing in lower case only makes you a bad credit risk

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:43:21 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

Just quoting someone:

http://www.economist.com/news/financ...owers-stat-oil

"As statistics accumulate, algorithms get better at spotting
correlations in the data. Applicants who type only in lower-case
letters, or entirely in upper case, are less likely to repay loans,
other factors being equal, says Douglas Merrill, founder of
ZestFinance, an American online lender whose default rate is roughly
40% lower than that of a typical payday lender."

I posted this same article in another NG. An alert person there opined
that this is because they are shiftless, which makes a lot of sense.
Old April 1st 13, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

wrote:
Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:43:21 -0400, Tony Cooper

"As statistics accumulate, algorithms get better at spotting
correlations in the data. Applicants who type only in lower-case
letters, or entirely in upper case, are less likely to repay loans,
other factors being equal, says Douglas Merrill, founder of
ZestFinance, an American online lender whose default rate is roughly
40% lower than that of a typical payday lender."

I posted this same article in another NG. An alert person there opined
that this is because they are shiftless, which makes a lot of sense.

I would guess that it is because these mono cased people cannot be arsed to
follow simple grammatical rules, which spills over to their willingness to
pay their bills in a timely and regular manner...

coincidence != cause & effect

-Wolfgang
Old April 2nd 13, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 23:21:41 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:43:21 -0400, Tony Cooper

"As statistics accumulate, algorithms get better at spotting
correlations in the data. Applicants who type only in lower-case
letters, or entirely in upper case, are less likely to repay loans,
other factors being equal, says Douglas Merrill, founder of
ZestFinance, an American online lender whose default rate is roughly
40% lower than that of a typical payday lender."

I posted this same article in another NG. An alert person there opined
that this is because they are shiftless, which makes a lot of sense.

I would guess that it is because these mono cased people cannot be arsed to
follow simple grammatical rules, which spills over to their willingness to
pay their bills in a timely and regular manner...

coincidence != cause & effect

Presumably there are statistics.

Eric Stevens
Old April 2nd 13, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jennifer Murphy[_2_]

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:43:21 -0400, Tony Cooper

"As statistics accumulate, algorithms get better at spotting
correlations in the data. Applicants who type only in lower-case
letters, or entirely in upper case, are less likely to repay loans,
other factors being equal, says Douglas Merrill, founder of
ZestFinance, an American online lender whose default rate is roughly
40% lower than that of a typical payday lender."

I posted this same article in another NG. An alert person there opined
that this is because they are shiftless, which makes a lot of sense.

I would guess that it is because these mono cased people cannot be arsed to
follow simple grammatical rules, which spills over to their willingness to
pay their bills in a timely and regular manner...

coincidence != cause & effect

Presumably there are statistics.

Presumably, Wolfgang meant "correlation is not causation". The (data
mining) statistics would only show correlation. But then the financial
institutions are only interested in correlation.
Old April 2nd 13, 07:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jennifer Murphy[_2_]

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
[...]

As a lender, I won't care about causation. I don't care why the bloke isn't
repaying, just that he is likely to not pay with no collateral for me to
seize is where my interest in him ends...

Uh, isn't that what I said?
Old April 3rd 13, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Presumably, Wolfgang meant "correlation is not causation". The (data
mining) statistics would only show correlation. But then the financial
institutions are only interested in correlation.

Well put.

BugBear