Quick charger vs Slow: Which last longer NiMH batteries?

Old December 31st 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike S.

Default Quick charger vs Slow: Which last longer NiMH batteries?

"lbbss" wrote in message news:
I have NiMH batteries and have both Quick charger and slow Energizer
charger. Will I get more charges if I use slow charger? Also will
it last longer with slow charger? thanks.

How much charge you get really depends on the specify charger, the cut-
off time or cut-off voltage.

It will last longer in terms of life expectancy of the battery if you
use slow charger.

Some makes of battery will heat up really quickly if you use fast
charger. I have observed some makes of battery heating up in 10
minutes to a point that is too hot to touch in a fast charger, while
some makes remain just warm to the touch in the same fast charger.

I suggest you test the heat buildup of the kind of battery you want to
quick charge. Use the slow charger when you are not in a hurry.

Another thing is that, it is better to have a charger that charges
each battery individually. It used to be quite expensive but the price
is coming down. Many of the older chargers require you to charge
either 2 at a time or 4 at a time. That is a bad idea because the
weaker battery in the set will tend to make the charger overcharge the
stronger ones.

FWIW I've retrieved hotter batteries from some poorly-designed 1 hour
chargers than well-designed 15-minute chargers.

Old December 31st 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mike S. wrote:
"lbbss" wrote in message news:
[...]

It is logical that faster chargers will shorten battery life. However,
if it reduces the number of recharges by 75%, then, instead of 500
recharges, you get only 125. That's about a penny per use/charge cycle.
Why worry about it if the convenience is significant?
Old December 31st 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Ron Hunter wrote:
It is logical that faster chargers will shorten battery life. However,
if it reduces the number of recharges by 75%, then, instead of 500
recharges, you get only 125. That's about a penny per use/charge cycle.
Why worry about it if the convenience is significant?

In my case, because it will increase the frequency of failures, and the
number of times you run into battery problems in the field. Why not
just organise your battery usage so that you can afford the longer time?
Using low-self-discharge batteries, there is no reason why you can't
always have at least one set pre-charged and ready to go.

I lament this society where speed and disposability are the priorities..
(O:
Old January 1st 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mark Thomas wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
It is logical that faster chargers will shorten battery life. However,
if it reduces the number of recharges by 75%, then, instead of 500
recharges, you get only 125. That's about a penny per use/charge cycle.
Why worry about it if the convenience is significant?

In my case, because it will increase the frequency of failures, and the
number of times you run into battery problems in the field. Why not
just organise your battery usage so that you can afford the longer time?
Using low-self-discharge batteries, there is no reason why you can't
always have at least one set pre-charged and ready to go.

I lament this society where speed and disposability are the priorities..
(O:

As do I, but I recognize that time if of the essence to some.
When it comes to things like electric cars, a quick recharge is a very
important aspect of the projected usage. To me, waiting 3 hours for my
batteries to recharge isn't a burden, since I keep disposable batteries
handy for emergencies. For a professional in the field, a quick
recharge ability might be more significant.
Old January 1st 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 03:50:50 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote in :

As do I, but I recognize that time if of the essence to some.
When it comes to things like electric cars, a quick recharge is a very
important aspect of the projected usage. ...

Battery swap easily solves the problem, in both cases.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John