Canon Rebel XT - Can't get good pictures.

Old October 24th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Canon Rebel XT - Can't get good pictures.

I just bought a Rebel XT and I just cannot get good indoor photos from
it. I've only used it on "automatic", but I've used it with the
built-in flash and with an external flash. All of my pictures look too
dark and lack any vivid color. I've always been a huge Canon fan, so
I'm really disappointed in this one. (My previous camera was a G6,
which I sold to get the XT). Any advice would really be appreciated!

Old October 24th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

wrote:
I just bought a Rebel XT and I just cannot get good indoor photos from
it. I've only used it on "automatic", but I've used it with the
built-in flash and with an external flash. All of my pictures look
too dark and lack any vivid color. I've always been a huge Canon
fan, so I'm really disappointed in this one. (My previous camera was
a G6, which I sold to get the XT). Any advice would really be
appreciated!

I think what you are saying is that the XT isn't handing perfect pictures to
you on a silver platter...rather, it expects YOU to DIRECT it in how to get
the pictures you want from it.

Most likely, you're underexposing and/or suffering from improper white
balance that is common under artificial indoor lighting. Most indoor
lighting is a mixture of light types...meaning most cameras will struggle
unless directed a bit.

It sounds like you're using a DSLR and expecting it to work like a
point-and-shoot. There is definitely a learning curve involved in getting
the results you want...and there are reasons for the way the images are
captured as you're seeing.

Perhaps if you post some of these images, you'll get more specific
suggestions.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old October 24th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
" wrote:

I just bought a Rebel XT and I just cannot get good indoor photos from
it. I've only used it on "automatic", but I've used it with the
built-in flash and with an external flash. All of my pictures look too
dark and lack any vivid color. I've always been a huge Canon fan, so
I'm really disappointed in this one. (My previous camera was a G6,
which I sold to get the XT). Any advice would really be appreciated!

You bought an external flash without knowing how to use the camera yet?
I'd bet that you're using the flash for direct lighting, which always
makes terrible photos. Show us samples.
Old October 24th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Derek Fountain

I've always been a huge Canon fan, so
I'm really disappointed in this one.

You should be disappointed in yourself. Don't blame the tool because you
don't know how to use it.
Old October 24th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Rice

" wrote in news:1161661271.751549.279290
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I just bought a Rebel XT and I just cannot get good indoor photos from
it. I've only used it on "automatic", but I've used it with the
built-in flash and with an external flash. All of my pictures look too
dark and lack any vivid color. I've always been a huge Canon fan, so
I'm really disappointed in this one. (My previous camera was a G6,
which I sold to get the XT). Any advice would really be appreciated!

It's a camera, not a magic wand.

Post some samples, you'll get plenty of helpful suggestions.

If the external flash can tilt upward, try doing that so that the flash
will bounch off walls and ceiling creating a less harsh, more scene filling
light.

Try taking some without the flash, at least put the camera in P mode and
select the fastest shutter speed it offers (it will select the apropriate
aperture value for you) and see if the results aren't better.

Better yet, learn about aperture and shutter speed and use all of the
camera you bought, nut just the auto mode. It's not an instamatic.
Old October 24th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Mac

:

[...]

All of these have been good suggestions BUT....
the OP said he'd "only used it on 'automatic'"
One would think that if his G6 made satisfactory photos on "automatic"
he should .... as a brand new owner of a DSLR..... expect be able
to get satisfactory (I didn't say good) photos on "automatic" with
his Rebel XT. I don't think it's going to happen.
As the previous owner of a G5, I seldom used it on "automatic"
because I could do better with other settings.... even RAW.
(I don't get satisfactory photos on my Rebel XT/350D on
"automatic".)
The camera is brand new to OP so he has a lot to learn about it.
The learning curve for a DSLR is much steeper and more involved
than most P&S cameras. Many of us are still learning!

Jack Mac
Old October 24th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

I'm not naive. I understand there's a learning curve with a dSLR and I
will eventually take the time to learn how to use it in manual mode.
That said, I still think I should be able to get decent photos in
automatic mode as well. I've tried it with the built-in flash, no
flash, the external flash straight-on, and the external flash bounced
off the wall. None of the photos have been properly exposed. I just
wonder if I somehow got a lemon. I think a camera this expensive
should take good photos in auto mode. Otherwise, it shouldn't have an
auto mode. Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments.

Old October 24th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Rice

" wrote in news:1161697716.020391.306560
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm not naive. I understand there's a learning curve with a dSLR and I
will eventually take the time to learn how to use it in manual mode.
That said, I still think I should be able to get decent photos in
automatic mode as well. I've tried it with the built-in flash, no
flash, the external flash straight-on, and the external flash bounced
off the wall. None of the photos have been properly exposed. I just
wonder if I somehow got a lemon. I think a camera this expensive
should take good photos in auto mode. Otherwise, it shouldn't have an
auto mode. Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments.

I agree that auto mode shouldn't exist, if just for this reason. Moving
from a point and shoot to a SLR takes some getting used to.

If you bought a SLR solely because "it takes better photos" I'd suggest
considering taking it back and looking at a high end point and shoot
instead.

If you bought it to explore more creative photography and getting into
capturing the scene the way you want by making use of adjustment of
shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and different lenses (and that's a
reasonable order to explore these things in), then you made a good
choice.

I moved from a Canon G3 to a Canon Rebel XT and couldn't be happier. I
had some previous SLR experience but had been using a point and shoot for
many years. I learn a little more with every memory card I fill up. I
learn alot more with every photo I share with peers and ask for feedback.

It's possible that you have a lemon but not very likely. Take the camera
back to the store where you bought it and ask them to take a look. Take
some photos in a controlled environment and then compare them to reality.
Are the colors acurate? How is the exposure? Look at the histogram
(press the info button when viewing the photo), what is it telling you
about exposure? To understand what this graph is telling you take a look
at this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...understanding-
series/understanding-histograms.shtml

Old October 24th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not naive. I understand there's a learning curve with a dSLR and I
will eventually take the time to learn how to use it in manual mode.
That said, I still think I should be able to get decent photos in
automatic mode as well. I've tried it with the built-in flash, no
flash, the external flash straight-on, and the external flash bounced
off the wall. None of the photos have been properly exposed. I just
wonder if I somehow got a lemon. I think a camera this expensive
should take good photos in auto mode. Otherwise, it shouldn't have an
auto mode. Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments.

Try to put your camera on "P" (to take the photo with flash, you have to
open the flash by pressing the flash button on the left had side of the
flash), then the white balance (WB) at "automatic", try also white balance
on "Flash". Try taking the flash with ISO 100, then 200... Remember that on
the XT, once you've chose the WB, or the ISO... you have to hit the "Enter"
key, otherwise it remains as it was. You didn't say how far you were from
the subject or whether the room was dark or partially lit... Just a few
ideas. Marcel.

Old October 24th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Rice

" wrote in news:1161697716.020391.306560
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm not naive. I understand there's a learning curve with a dSLR and I
will eventually take the time to learn how to use it in manual mode.
That said, I still think I should be able to get decent photos in
automatic mode as well. I've tried it with the built-in flash, no
flash, the external flash straight-on, and the external flash bounced
off the wall. None of the photos have been properly exposed. I just
wonder if I somehow got a lemon. I think a camera this expensive
should take good photos in auto mode. Otherwise, it shouldn't have an
auto mode. Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments.

Something else to consider...

Taking the same photo of the same scene with similar settings with a SLR
and a point and shoot camera can produce surprisingly different results.
Straight out of the camera, you may even find the point and shoot produces
"better" results than the SLR.

This is because many point and shoot cameras do some sharpening of the jpg
in camera. SLRs dont. SLRs are designed to provide maximum flexibility to
the photographer.